Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Lol you sound a tad annoyed over missing outt on loads of snow by just a few miles like i av lol.

As for saturday i think itl be 5-10cms, 10 if you hit some of the heaviest precip. Id also go for 2 hours of snow. Should be fun to watch i prefer heavy snow even if it doesnt last as long than light snow all day.

I didn't mind that sugar dusting we got this morning from 45 minutes of moderate to light snow :yahoo: Compared to what peoples in Cambridge and the South East got though... Absolutely feeble.

That band tomorrow night had better deliver at least an inch here else i'll be seriously annoyed again.

and maybe tuesday, where rain could turn to snow, as per the beeb forecasts

I`m leaning towards GFS and its ensembles being right for tuesday in the midlands so cold and dry with a slack area of LP over us.

I'm afraid to say say to get very snowy weather you need mild atlantic systems bumping up against cold air for the midlands and that is too risky for a mild breakdown.

Posted

I`m leaning towards GFS and its ensembles being right for tuesday in the midlands so cold and dry with a slack area of LP over us.

I'm afraid to say say to get very snowy weather you need mild atlantic systems bumping up against cold air for the midlands and that is too risky for a mild breakdown.

what about april 2008, snow moving down from the north. doesnt always have to be from the atlantic.

Posted

Genelle of Midlands Today had said a few showers could flirt with Shropshire/Staffordshire tomorrow morning but very little, if anything. Temp is -1 in Shrewsbury with a low of -5 overnight.

However, the BBC and Metoffice says heavy rain for Saturday night. RAIN??? what about snow???

Is it going to snow people, is Shrewsbury gonna see any???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

im wondering if there is a chance for sunday here, whether the showers will penetrate far enough inland for a cheshire gap streamer to take effect, after saturday nights snow?

I think it's a cert. If we get a decent NW'ly then the usual places (including me :D) will be in the firing line.

Posted

What is Shrewsbury like for the Cheshire Gap effect.

There is a severe weather warning out for the West Midlands for Sunday for 2-5cm. How is that severe???

Shrewsbury isn't too bad, although the best places are north Shropshire, central and southern Staffordshire, Birmingham and pushing into Warwickshire.

I know, we aint no softy southerners us :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Is Telford better or worse than Shrewsbury for the Chesire Gap effect, they usually see more snow in general just 16 miles down the road

If you go back a few pages on this thread (to about 10.30-11pm) last night on this thread there is a mini discussion as to the snow leves in Shrewsbury compared to other local places. Debate as to if the higher altitude in Telford helps or the river causes less snow to settle in Shrewsbury... Quite an intresting discussion.

Posted

Is Telford better or worse than Shrewsbury for the Chesire Gap effect, they usually see more snow in general just 16 miles down the road

telford would be nicely positioned i would have thought when it comes to the cheshire gap. i would have thought the a41 road from chester would be a good road to roughly follow when talking about the cheshire gap streamer, with a fairly generous margin either side.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

telford would be nicely positioned i would have thought when it comes to the cheshire gap. i would have thought the a41 road from chester would be a good road to roughly follow when talking about the cheshire gap streamer, with a fairly generous margin either side.

Use Google map and the terrain button for telford and pan out.

Shrewsbury is perhaps a little too far to the west and is more in the ley of the Welsh/Shropshire hills.

I've driven down the A5/M54 Eastwards many times to find no snow in Shrewsbury, a good dumping around Telford and then none as it hits the M6 and Black Country. So the A41 corridor theory fits quite well.

I must go back and read the earlier discussion.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Just watched the latest forecast on news 24, and it definitely showed the Cheshire gap effect coming into play. Showers penetrating as far south as northern Birmingham potentially.

Sunday could be interesting, with a couple of inches possible on the night before it could turn out pretty good!

Posted

Can't believe the contrast between work and home... left Bedford at 3pm where basically all the snow had thawed. Came home 14 miles up the road to another 2 inches of fresh snow, and little or no thaw from this morning and roads in poor condition off the A6. A measurement shows about 7 inches... chalk and cheese! Fortunately I have the cheese!

Posted

The Sunday one was 12 March 2006- yes that was the deepest it's been in the 2000s. The other one must have been Feb 2007; Shrewsbury missed all the fun around Easter 2008 (there wasn't a single day when snow was lying at 9am GMT in 2008).

You've only got to look at how many times it snows in Telford/Wolverhampton/Birmingham/Wrexham/Stoke but not Shrewsbury; and all the times it's cloudy here in summer while further east and south (and often west and north) is in warm sunshine. The only things Shrewsbury is good for IMO is flooding (often when it hasn't rained much here) and the odd decent thunderstorm, though even these have been scarce in the last 3 years.

Having lived in Shrewsbury for 27 years and now living near Irion Bridge i would have to agree!! Many a time in summer we leave here in glorious sunshine to get to Shrewsbury in cloud, in winter we have all but once had a lot more snow than Shrewsbury too.

Posted

If some of those showers predicted for the north west on Sunday can reach here, then we could get some good accumulations upon what would have already fallen from the frontal band of snow. Since the Met Office have a warning for these for the west Midlands, then there's a good chance of some heavy showers for here on Sunday.

Agreed, I think Sunday may be a pleasant surprise for many.

Posted

hopefully, also of interest imo is the fact the risk of sleet or snow is mentioned for tuesday.

Edited by azores92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If some of those showers predicted for the north west on Sunday can reach here, then we could get some good accumulations upon what would have already fallen from the frontal band of snow. Since the Met Office have a warning for these for the west Midlands, then there's a good chance of some heavy showers for here on Sunday.

Indeed, we usually do well from these set ups so im rather looking forward to it. It might be a chance to dnace infront of the SE though i may have to the flickering lights myself by turning the switch on and off all night and turn the fan on too. :whistling:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Why is it were are forecast near nothing in Shrewsbury then. I'm on the fence at the moment

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Shrewsbury

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forregdaily.aspx?postcode=sy1&selected=0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/22

Are they playing cautious or is nothing going to materialise. I'll be watching Genelle on Midlands Today at 6:30 tonight. Perhaps they sacked Shefali after yesterdays forecast!!!

Posted

Why is it were are forecast near nothing in Shrewsbury then. I'm on the fence at the moment

http://www.metcheck....code=Shrewsbury

http://www.theweathe...=sy1&selected=0

http://news.bbc.co.u...her/forecast/22

Are they playing cautious or is nothing going to materialise. I'll be watching Genelle on Midlands Today at 6:30 tonight. Perhaps they sacked Shefali after yesterdays forecast!!!

More of a hindcast than a forecast!