Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 3

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I moved to Cupar only last year but I have noticed it is a bit of a frost hollow. I don't have a weather station but I *think* that taking between 1 and 2C from the value at Leuchers gives a good idea of them temperature. What do you think?

Yeah, Leuchars has temperatures a bit higher (at least in winter) due to being right next to the sea. In fact, many times I've seen it recording rain showers while we've had heavy snow!

LS

Posted

Grey-Wolf is asking about a PL on the convective thread, do you think there is any chance Mondy?? :wallbash: :lol: :lol:

I saw the thread and think it's too early to call. There is movement up there with the main low, but everything seems a bit messy so far. Be interested to see what occurs overnight in that area. http://www.sat24.com/

Posted

What would you predict as an ETA?? I think maybe 1am or so here, maybe 2am for you???

I'll go for midnight but you could be right! I won't be staying up for it though, plenty of chances to see it tomorrow :wallbash:

Posted

Showers appear to be penetrating further south and east now over and through the Great Glen - not by much but it's a start :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Showers appear to be penetrating further south and east now over and through the Great Glen - not by much but it's a start biggrin.gif

Straw-clutching much Shuggee??biggrin.gif

I think it'll be at least 12 hours before we can even think about the showers getting this length. I was also wondering about the possibility of a polar low - I know they are notoriously hard to forecast, only seen within 18 hours of landfall I believe, so it is possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

-5 here with clear skies. Well chilly. Was a little dissapointed that we only got ~1.5 cm from todays front, but can't complain.

This forum is great - I don't post much, but read it a lot. Some really well informed posts re models etc.

One question for those with more knowledge....

On the old BBC weather site (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), they used to have maps with predicted europe/atlantic wind direction, speed and temperature; big arrows for strong/small for weak and dark blue for cold/orange for warm etc.

First they made the land on the maps a horrible poo brown, then dispensed with the wind maps completely when they did the whole flash upgrade thing (or maybe I can't see snow because of the blizzard).

Does anyone know where I can find such maps now? They were great for showing the wife etc why it was so cold/snow on the way; i.e. "look darling, big blue arrows from the arctic = snow". Makes a lot more sense to the layman than most model output charts.

Cheers and best of luck snow-wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We've had about 3cm from showers this evening, with not much showing up on the radar. Must be getting a pasting further north :clap::clap:especially as it might put paid to my work next week ssshhhhhhh anyway, snowball fights in the street out here now, off to join in! :cold::cold:;):bomb::):):drinks::rofl::drunk::rofl:

Posted

Found this absolute gem of a forecast for a place about 8 miles northwest of me: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/372/ drunk.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Now -7.1c with DP -10.3c

Third -7c this year since beginning November. cold.gif

Freuchie has suddenly turned into an oasis of (relative) mild: still -2.2C!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

very little snow here but very cold -9 expecting a covering by morning but

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Covering of snow now in the Highland capital, temp -4'C with -5'C dewpoint and snowing again! :p

Posted

Perhaps Shugge was right to think about the showers moving further southeast tonight - the radar shows the shower activity pepping up hugely across the northwest highlands, and a few showers have already moved into perthshire. Take a look at the Cluanie traffic cam for some major snowfall pictures - in fact look at any webcam across the highlands, even Drumochter, and you'll see snow falling at the moment. I think the next few days could be something very special for all of Scotland, with very few places missing out. Even overnight tonight has snow falling right across the north and,later on, west of the country. The depth of cold could be stunning, with -8.4C already being recorded in Eskdalemuir (temperatures slightly higher further north due to the snow showers). For those in eastern areas, don't worry, tomorrow evening has a fair bit of potential. So put your feet up and watch a bit of 'Gary Tank Commander' laugh.gif .

I'll leave you with this exceptional fax chart for 1800hrs tomorrow:

PPVE89.png

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

looks like the nw is for a hammering tonight looking at the radars. nothing here not a cloud in sight temps still droping -9.6cdry.gif