Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 3

Methuselah

Posted

Ross....

would that be for My area

Might not make work then!!!!!! :):):whistling::whistling:

Yep, it was pretty much for the whole of western scotland. Did you not already say you have a few inches of snow?

Posted

Just had to post an update. Looking down over the Firth from here and to the north is on of the stormiest winter skies I have seen for years, almost black clouds with patches of lighter rag cloud in front tinged with purple from the rising sun, with what seems huge snowfall potential heading towards us. Snowcover on the Black Isle is right to sea level again a fairly rare occurence in recent years.

Can you take a picture?

Posted

light snow again in Greenock right down to water level.........big flakes and getting bigger :)

Yep, it was pretty much for the whole of western scotland. Did you not already say you have a few inches of snow?

Yes...been snowing since 4am and an inch or 2 covering

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

temps have dropped now -4C.

The sky has a real pinky orange glow and as Mr Tattum says there is a dark mass on the radar on its way towards us!!!

'Morning Gilly and NL...Are you both enjoying seeing Ben Wyvis's snow lit-up bright orange?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well, what a surprise!!! Heavy snow falling outside here!! I've never seen snow potential like this before, really incredible day for weather watchers across Scotland. Even Brechin should see some!!

LS

Posted

A good covering here overnight - must be around 4 inches on the ground.

I woke up a couple of times during the night, and each time it was snowing, not too heavy so I guess it was pretty much on all night.

Just looked at the radar and another batch about to hit us I think.

- Need to head out and clear paths though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Blimey, that is some system coming down from the north is it not? Wasn't aware yesterday that this was on the cards.

Posted

Well, what a surprise!!! Heavy snow falling outside here!! I've never seen snow potential like this before, really incredible day for weather watchers across Scotland. Even Brechin should see some!!

LS

Great news, how do see the rest of the day developing? Beeb 24 are saying heavy snow for central and soutern areas tonight. Thats a monster curl north of us!

Any worries about slightly increased warmth in the centre of it?

Posted

Blimey, that is some system coming down from the north is it not? Wasn't aware yesterday that this was on the cards.

Think it will hit us Blitzen?

Snowflakes getting bigger :lol:

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Think it will hit us Blitzen?

Snowflakes getting bigger :D

I think it will be difficult to miss us! :lol:

Posted

Been snowing in Irvine on and off since 6ish....giving a covering of an inch. Looking out due North from my study its very grey and dark and i am unable to make out the hills near Dalry...i would suggest that snow is likely on and off for most of the day.

Posted

'Morning Gilly and NL...Are you both enjoying seeing Ben Wyvis's snow lit-up bright orange?? :lol:

Morning Pete and NN.

Yes i look straight over to Ben Wyvis and its an amazing sight. We could be in for a longer spell of snow now.

Gritter has just been on the main road but side roads left untouched.........ouch could be difficult to get out later!

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Great news, how do see the rest of the day developing? Beeb 24 are saying heavy snow for central and soutern areas tonight. Thats a monster curl north of us!

Any worries about slightly increased warmth in the centre of it?

Heavy snow showers almost anywhere, persistant in the west of Scotland, to give large accumulations. This evening, more persistant snow will be present across most of Scotland, bringing heavy snow almost anywhere, though the risk appears to shift to central and eastern areas. In terms of the warmth, I think it is certainly possible that areas west of Glasgow will see sleet at times rather than snow, but even then, the surface conditions are so cold that a change in the upper air temperatures is not all that significant, especially as dew points are progged to be around 0C even in southwest Scotland. It's perhaps something to watch for those in Greenock, Killie, Ayr etc. but my gut feeling is that it will be snow all the way.

Posted

Don't take this the wrong way Ross but I think I love you :lol:

:lol:

The next shower is about to head into here according to the radar, even has a red core! This could be heavy!

Posted

Morning all,

Don"t post to much but lurking in the back ground,looking good for a good dumping in the next 48hrs.Just had a couple of snow showers.All eyes on sat24.com.

Off to perth with the kids for some winter fun.clap.gifcold.gif

Posted

Morning Pete and NN.

Yes i look straight over to Ben Wyvis and its an amazing sight. We could be in for a longer spell of snow now.

Gritter has just been on the main road but side roads left untouched.........ouch could be difficult to get out later!

I think you're right - the veil of white is now black!

Posted

just been out to feed thge livestock starting to snow again and just had a flash and a rumble of thunder ,it flashed orange, just had to come in and post

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

just been out to feed thge livestock starting to snow again and just had a flash and a rumble of thunder ,it flashed orange

Sure sounds 'lively' over there!

Posted

Heavy snow showers almost anywhere, persistant in the west of Scotland, to give large accumulations. This evening, more persistant snow will be present across most of Scotland, bringing heavy snow almost anywhere, though the risk appears to shift to central and eastern areas. In terms of the warmth, I think it is certainly possible that areas west of Glasgow will see sleet at times rather than snow, but even then, the surface conditions are so cold that a change in the upper air temperatures is not all that significant, especially as dew points are progged to be around 0C even in southwest Scotland. It's perhaps something to watch for those in Greenock, Killie, Ayr etc. but my gut feeling is that it will be snow all the way.

I cant wait!!!drinks.gifdrinks.gif Is the persistant snow due to fronts wrapped around the "beast" or bands of showers gathering together. I have watched the weather for years now, perhaps not to this extent with charts ect, but a low like this from the North must be extremely rare. Before I found this sight, I tjought that I was the only one obsesed with snow fall

yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif Light snow blowing through the west side of Dundee. The left overs from that Large shower that made it over the mountains.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Look at the lump building in NW Scotland. Guys up North will get pasted!!

Posted

I cant wait!!!drinks.gifdrinks.gif Is the persistant snow due to fronts wrapped around the "beast" or bands of showers gathering together. I have watched the weather for years now, perhaps not to this extent with charts ect, but a low like this from the North must be extremely rare. Before I found this sight, I tjought that I was the only one obsesed with snow fall

yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif Light snow blowing through the west side of Dundee. The left overs from that Large shower that made it over the mountains.

snow just turned heavier here - having hills to your southwest usually means we end up with very light snow, but it's fairly coming on now!! Very windy too, and this is just the beginning!!

lS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Morning all... maybe 12cm level cover here. Not heard any vehicles moving at all so far so might not be going far; I doubt the gritters will be doing the side roads for a while.

crikey, what's that appearing from the north-west?!? :crazy::crazy::clap::cold::clap::cold::yahoo::shok: :w00t: :w00t: