Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 3

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Here's a couple of photos of the snow today. I don't know how to load them directly onto the post.

The photos were taken at 13.38h, 13.42h and 14.03h respectively.

post-10675-12612548352513_thumb.jpg

post-10675-12612548781613_thumb.jpg

post-10675-12612549207213_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Sorry defo no snow in Dundee, not since this aft anyway. I am just off forfar bypass. My father refers to this part as "the snow line".

Mandy xxx

Posted

Nice pics snow 1975 :)

We now have less snow here than yestrday i.e none! Those showers are taking their time to get here, not a chance of them being rain if they get here -4c dp -6c :)

Sorry defo no snow in Dundee, not since this aft anyway. I am just off forfar bypass. My father refers to this part as "the snow line".

Mandy xxx

:) Can you get him to elaborate?? :) :)

Posted

Our temperature is starting to rise again. As I posted earlier the temps fell quickly after the main belt of snow to around -4'C. But we are now back up to -2.1'c

Although getting frequent heavy snow showers, not too much depth yet.. Here is photo taken an hour or so ago.

post-491-12612565846113_thumb.jpg

Our temperature is starting to rise again. As I posted earlier the temps fell quickly after the main belt of snow to around -4'C. But we are now back up to -2.1'c

Although getting frequent heavy snow showers, not too much depth yet.. Here is photo taken an hour or so ago.

If you're getting frequent snow at -2C what more could you need in life?? :D

Posted

Just had a look at the car temp, showing -4c (i think it must be stuck on that herecc_confused.gif ), clear skies and the road outside is like an ice rink from the rain/later snow. Just watched a bus come round the road @ a crawl trying not to hit any prked vehiclescold.gif .

See that MetO has upgraded their warning for the Strathclyde area to cover from midnight tonight to 0900 monday for heavy snowblink.gif (60% chance minimum!!). I think I will wait until sunup to see what the night bringslazy.gif .

Posted

My father worked winter maintenance in Dundee for 25 yrs, there is a area of Dundee that has what he calls a snowline, i take it to mean the highest points from up round here over to birkhill area. But i may be wrong. lol:unknw:

See that MetO has upgraded their warning for the Strathclyde area to cover from midnight tonight to 0900 monday for heavy snowblink.gif (60% chance minimum!!). I think I will wait until sunup to see what the night bringslazy.gif .

That Met-O warning has been out all day :yahoo::cold:

Here's hoping. The showers to the NW are beefy, let's hope they come south and then head west. So far so good :) :) :) We just the wind to swing to the W and we will be laughing.

Just had a look at the car temp, showing -4c (i think it must be stuck on that here

Sorry to be rude, but what's the significance of the crest for your avatar?? MrsCatch just wondered, something to do with the police??

My father worked winter maintenance in Dundee for 25 yrs, there is a area of Dundee that has what he calls a snowline, i take it to mean the highest points from up round here over to birkhill area. But i may be wrong. lol:unknw:

Ah, that makes sense now, everywhere has a snowline, usually ours is just outside the village with us on the good side :) :)

Posted

If you're getting frequent snow at -2C what more could you need in life?? :yahoo:

Just as long as the temps don't continue to rise !

Just noticed ont he radar, that the run of showers is more or less perpendicular to the great glen, and very few of the showers seem to be making it past the Great Glen.

And to make you all jelous, the snow is back on here... Temps still -2.1'C

Nice pics snow 1975 :)

We now have less snow here than yestrday i.e none! Those showers are taking their time to get here, not a chance of them being rain if they get here -4c dp -6c :cold:

What would you predict as an ETA?? I think maybe 1am or so here, maybe 2am for you???

Just as long as the temps don't continue to rise !

Just noticed ont he radar, that the run of showers is more or less perpendicular to the great glen, and very few of the showers seem to be making it past the Great Glen.

And to make you all jelous, the snow is back on here... Temps still -2.1'C

Once the whole lot moves south the wind will swing to the west which will leave us quids in, at least I hope it does :yahoo:

Posted

Cheers

Either the netweather radar is broken or someone's telling porkies!!whistling.giflaugh.gif

Only -2.2C here, though Cupar tends to do better out of 'frost situations' anywayyahoo.gif .

I wonder if your name sake might make an impromptu appearance in the next day or two. Seems a bit unlikely but you never know I suppose. What chaos would that bring to the Met Office I wonder??

LS

I moved to Cupar only last year but I have noticed it is a bit of a frost hollow. I don't have a weather station but I *think* that taking between 1 and 2C from the value at Leuchers gives a good idea of them temperature. What do you think?

Posted

Sorry to be rude, but what's the significance of the crest for your avatar?? MrsCatch just wondered, something to do with the police??

Mrs Catch, not being rude at allrolleyes.gif .I used to be in the Armed Forces, Royal Engineers (bottom of crest!). Finished 5 years ago after going to much sunnier climes (the Desert!)cool.gif . Don't see much snow outthere unless it is this time of year and overnight at that!!!

Edited by Shandiman

Mrs Catch, not being rude at allrolleyes.gif .I used to be in the Armed Forces, Royal Engineers (bottom of crest!). Finished 5 years ago after going to much sunnier climes (the Desert!)cool.gif . Don't see much snow outthere unless it is this time of year and overnight at that!!!

Ah!!! MrsCatch's brothers were in the forces too. 2 Para and SAS. Seperately!! She knows a crest when she sees one!! :rofl: :rofl:

Posted

Just new to the forums here so just an update on my area

About 2" lying here about half of that today. tonight the car thermometer in the car read -2 at five oclock down to -5 at seven oclock, not sure accurate they are though.

So hopefully im not to far from the west to catch a few showers tonight and tommorrow smile.gif

and could someone tell me what the dew point temperature thing means compared to the normal ?

thanks and hope you all catch a shower or two tonight smile.gif

Vast amount of cloud north of Shetland, off Norway coast. If that tumbles down, the clusters we see at the moment will be insignificant:

Grey-Wolf is asking about a PL on the convective thread, do you think there is any chance Mondy?? :nonono::) :)

Posted

Vast amount of cloud north of Shetland, off Norway coast. If that tumbles down, the clusters we see at the moment will be insignificant:

ASII_20091219_2045.png

doing ure post from a snowplough mondy on monday

Posted

By Monday night all that cloud west of Norway will be bang on top of us :wallbash: