Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 3

Methuselah

:) Not bad for a island were just getting snow showers every 10 to 15mins and its slowly building up.

So glad to hear most are getting snow. This seems be one of the most widespread snowy spells in years.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

What an amazing spell of heavy snow that was about 2pm..that front raced through though. doh.gif

Hopefully those showers moving into North Western isles havent got long before they reach us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So glad to hear most are getting snow. This seems be one of the most widespread snowy spell in years.

Still, very few places appear to have hugely significant accumulations i.e. 3-4 inches or more. Hopefully the heavy showers over the next few days improve some of the accumulations already seen, so we can all have a conclusively white christmas underfoot.

Still, very few places appear to have hugely significant accumulations i.e. 3-4 inches or more. Hopefully the heavy showers over the next few days improve some of the accumulations already seen, so we can all have a conclusively white christmas underfoot.

I know what you mean LS, it's not exactly snowploughs on standby. But it is better than we've had for a while, surely?? :) :) :)

Posted

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. Western areas finally progged to see frequent snow showers - but the interest for us in the east is exactly how well these get blown inland. I can think of many instances recently with rain showers forecast only for the west widely spreading across the central belt. A morning of radar watching...

Posted

GRRRRR we`ve had nothing but heavy rain here! The snow was still on the ground earlier, up till about one this afternoon, and then the rain came on!!

Posted

We didn't have any rain at all. I think we missed the warmer sector and had heavy snow for 30 mins.

Tomorrow (sunday) looks good for the western half of the country and the latest UKMO runs suggest the East may get something on monday.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. Western areas finally progged to see frequent snow showers - but the interest for us in the east is exactly how well these get blown inland. I can think of many instances recently with rain showers forecast only for the west widely spreading across the central belt. A morning of radar watching...

From a purely IMBY point of view here in the west, this set-up is probably about as good as it gets in terms of potential snow. I really hope you get some showers through in Edinburgh (55miles east from here) because if you're getting anything through there I'll be getting a pasting. Anything would be good though since it is still before Xmas. I always feel the best chance of snow at my location is after Xmas, even March tends to be better than December here.

Posted

Hi all.

I have just been a visitor on here for a while but thought I would join in. I have a good handle on whats going on.

Good blast of snow at lunchtime today but passed quick same as the rest of you.

Looking through all the runs, still unclear where the centre of the "low" is going to end up Sunday/Monday.

This is critical to who gets the largest falls.UKMO looks as if it will sit over SE Scotland thus giving another feed of E-NE to North half of Scotland and N-NW down the west coast.

GSF has the centre just off the west coast so more like SW winds across Scotland. I think that were it ends up will have huge bearing on snowfall over the next 50 hours.

Any thougts ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Hi all.

I have just been a visitor on here for a while but thought I would join in. I have a good handle on whats going on.

Good blast of snow at lunchtime today but passed quick same as the rest of you.

Looking through all the runs, still unclear where the centre of the "low" is going to end up Sunday/Monday.

This is critical to who gets the largest falls.UKMO looks as if it will sit over SE Scotland thus giving another feed of E-NE to North half of Scotland and N-NW down the west coast.

GSF has the centre just off the west coast so more like SW winds across Scotland. I think that were it ends up will have huge bearing on snowfall over the next 50 hours.

Any thougts ???

Hello snowplough 3. Like you, I joined a few days ago.

I would take either position. South-westerly winds could bring snow showers through the lowlands towards Fife. I would prefer an onshore E/NE flow because the showers would be heavier with hail.

Posted

Well I was a bit disappointed by the front earlier, it all looked so good in the morning.

Tonight marks the beginning of the "how cold can it get?" With most places in the North and East having the necessary snow cover to allow temperatures to get quite chilly.

Tulloch Bridge has dropped by 4C in an hour to -8.4C at 1700. I think this might increase though as the wind veers more westerly. Somewhere like Aviemore, Dalwhinnie or Braemar I think might see the lowest tomorrow morning.

Does anyone else think we'll see a -20C before Christmas?

Does anyone else think we'll see a -20C before Christmas?

Easily I would think Hiya. -10C is forecast tonight over the SE of Scotland. Maybe we'll see -12C tonight?? And then what happens after this? :drinks:

This snowy spell is easily the best we've seen for a long time. I know we're not ordering snow blowers to rescue us from 20ft drifts, but who cares?? If M&S did snowy spells, they'd be a bit like this :yahoo::)

Posted

Who can say?! it's just going to keep getting colder for a wee while yet...

The low dew points are outstanding too currently 0º/-5ºC here :drinks:

Posted

thought i'd better post as cookie has been at work most of the day ,it's snowing well here ,started as rain this morning quickly turned to snow ,just a covering is this tomorrows snow come earily or is this on top

he's chuffed to bits :drinks:

it's still snowing off and on

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

The temperature fell away quickly this afternoon after the snow went through.

Started this morning with us around 10am, although as rain, by 10.30 is was snow and started to lie within 30 minutes. The snow was fifnished by about 12.30pm though, not much of a covering, but a little.

It quickly froze though and the road conditions are very icy now.

The temperature was +3'C at 9am, but by 2pm was down to -2'C.

Fallen to -4'c now though and still falling steadily

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Thats quite a rash to the NW of Scotland.

Intresting to see what direction they swing across in!!

Hopefully make it through the gap in the central belt

good.gif

Posted

Heavy snowfall here at the minute. Settling 3 -4 inches here. Roads are well covered. :lol: :lol:

Posted

Temps plummeting in the Central Highlands, already down to -10c at mid-mountain on CairnGorm, -11 on the Summit (and double digit below is quite rare on the summit). The lowest Dec temperature from 1990 to 1995 was -9.6c.

Lower down at Loch Morlich it's nudging towards -9c, bit nippy for those camping at Glenmore!! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Well, it must be a true cold spell, because today it snowed, in GLASGOW!!!

Not only that, it lay! got a dusting out here in the suburbs.

Okay, we got a good fall last February, however I was getting a bit sick of finding everywhere in the vicinity getting loads of snow, and Glasgow staying dry (could be worse it could have rained like it normally does).

I see we've to get a bit tomorrow as well. Looking forward to it, although not expecting to see a massive amount. When in Glasgow, always expect snow to disappoint!

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

All the showers up north just seem to be spinning around on the other side of the Great Glen. Not moving southwards much at

all. I think the central belt has had its wack for the day. Going to be a very cold night though.

Posted

Temps plummeting in the Central Highlands, already down to -10c at mid-mountain on CairnGorm, -11 on the Summit (and double digit below is quite rare on the summit). The lowest Dec temperature from 1990 to 1995 was -9.6c.

Lower down at Loch Morlich it's nudging towards -9c, bit nippy for those camping at Glenmore!! :wallbash:

hi, do you have a link to those weather stations?