Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

There is one, quite big obstacle though - the Welsh mountains. Some showers will survive, but they will be fairly weak.

going by the latest radar return they'll be snizzle by the time they get here, no life in those weak showers :)

Posted

There is one, quite big obstacle though - the Welsh mountains. Some showers will survive, but they will be fairly weak.

Point taken... and if i don't get any snow showers from now i will be writing to the Met Office.

What's the point of having a national government funded forecasting organisation thier forecasts are innaccurate 50% of the time... if not more whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

You really couldn't make this up, this is going to be a rant and a half so if anyone wants to pick fault with it then I wouldn't bother good.gif

Basically, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire have done absolutely AWFUL from this cold spell. I'm sure other places in the Midlands have too but this really has been the worst let down from such hype that I have ever seen.

South East... 5 inches+ even places 30 miles away like Northampton got a couple of inches and what do we get? 1cm accumulated over 3 days of snow showers. Now the showers which are in the North West, apperantly some places near mancs have 7cm? Those showers aren't even making their way to Leicestershire or Warwickshire because the winds aren't NW enough, they are too Westerly. So arguably the worst 2 places in the East Midlands during this cold spell. are going to miss out once again. So the North West now has decent snow cover, the South East, East, North East, Scotland and Central Southern England have seen around 5cm+ from this cold spell and here slap bang in the middle of the country we have seena 1cm dusting.

Don't care what anyone says, I am seriously annoyed.

You still did better than me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Forget about it West Midlanders. There is no chance that those showers will get as far South as Birmingham. The ones over North Wales will have no life left in them once they pass the mountains so you can forget about those. The ones which we would really love in the North West that are merging into bands of snow are never in a million years going to move any further South than Stoke.

Posted

Point taken... and if i don't get any snow showers from now i will be writing to the Met Office.

What's the point of having a national government funded forecasting organisation thier forecasts are innaccurate 50% of the time... if not more whistling.gif

i dont think their forecasts have been too bad tbh. yesterday they did emphasise through the graphics that the band looked marginal. yes we have been let down badly by them before, like the snow forecast that someone posted yesterday, (from april 2008 i think?) but all in all they havent done badly recently

Posted

Forget about it West Midlanders. There is no chance that those showers will get as far South as Birmingham. The ones over North Wales will have no life left in them once they pass the mountains so you can forget about those. The ones which we would really love in the North West that are merging into bands of snow are never in a million years going to move any further South than Stoke.

they're not even getting to stoke never mind bham!

wallbash.gif

Posted

You really couldn't make this up, this is going to be a rant and a half so if anyone wants to pick fault with it then I wouldn't bother :)

Basically, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire have done absolutely AWFUL from this cold spell. I'm sure other places in the Midlands have too but this really has been the worst let down from such hype that I have ever seen.

South East... 5 inches+ even places 30 miles away like Northampton got a couple of inches and what do we get? 1cm accumulated over 3 days of snow showers. Now the showers which are in the North West, apperantly some places near mancs have 7cm? Those showers aren't even making their way to Leicestershire or Warwickshire because the winds aren't NW enough, they are too Westerly. So arguably the worst 2 places in the East Midlands during this cold spell. are going to miss out once again. So the North West now has decent snow cover, the South East, East, North East, Scotland and Central Southern England have seen around 5cm+ from this cold spell and here slap bang in the middle of the country we have seena 1cm dusting.

Don't care what anyone says, I am seriously annoyed.

I know what you mean. I've just been to the top of Beacon Hill (near Loughborough) at least there's a couple of cms of snow there. But the interesting thing is that you can see the Derbyshire Dales, The Lincolnshire Wolds and the countryside east of Leicester all of which are white. Unfortunately I seem to unlucky enough to be living in the middle of the only green area around!

Posted

chin up guys.

Im still hoping some of these showers make it down to staffs etc,they really are packing a punhc up to 10cm here and more coming. drinks.gif

Your not even in the midlands... get out of here!!!

hehehehehehehehehe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

chin up guys.

Im still hoping some of these showers make it down to staffs etc,they really are packing a punhc up to 10cm here and more coming. drinks.gif

You know very well that they won't go anywhere near Staffordshire...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

"The Christmas period is expected to see wintry showers over northern parts of the United Kingdom, with the chance of some more prolonged rain, with hill snow, spreading from the southwest during the weekend. Over southern parts during the Christmas period, some rain or showers, with hill snow, is expected to spread from the southwest, though the timing of this is uncertain, as is the amount of snow. The unsettled conditions continue during next week and into the New Year. Rain or showers, and at times rather windy conditions are expected across southern and western areas, where it is also likely to briefly become less cold. Over central, eastern and especially northern areas, continuing rather cold or cold with rain or showers, and snow over hills, also widespread overnight frosts."

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Looks like mainly hill snow for us then. Shame this "cold" spell which promised so much has ended up being just slightly too warm and too dry to bring anything significant - it's all in the East! When it does precipitate it'll probably be rain too... but it might be worth a trip into the Cotswolds next week - they usually do a lot better in marginal setups.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

chin up guys.

Im still hoping some of these showers make it down to staffs etc,they really are packing a punhc up to 10cm here and more coming. :drinks:

lol 10cm, I bet it's more like 6cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Yet again those who got lucky on thursday/friday will have the snow again. I even think that the band of precipitation shown on BBc is too far west aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Thanks I didn't know that, looks like it could snow in Northants for several hours !!

Posted

Really...come on guys and gals.

Too much looking in mid term on the models on ppn is always subject to some changes.

Just some points to make (some, again):

1. The easterly, like many, do not make it past East Anglia and the South East.

2. The Northerly always had a risk for not really making it passed places likes Yorkshire...energy absorption and a warm sector (which were correctly forecast by the BBC) were the reasons for this.

3. It has not been too warm...we have had a number of ice or very cold days in the midlands (last night, again, was down to a warm sector, and predicted).

4. The Cheshire gap effect has always been open to margin for those in the midlands (east or west) - You would probably need much stronger winds and heavier ppn to make it in to these areas

5. The METO warning is there for a reason, not a guarentee. They have updated this in accordance with the data input they have (its not a joke, its real)

6. Red warnings from the METO are not exclusively for the s/e...look at it in the fact of the number of people that live there + the numebr of people that travel to/from the London area.

There is still a chance that the ppn may make it in to the central midlands (Stoke, Derby, Uttoxeter), but also for the likes of South Yorkshire as well.

I understand the disappointment...I would have too loved some decent falls. But the weather is, as the weather does. The two main systems (easterlies and northerlies) have effected the areas in general that you would most expect from these set ups.

We are not even at the end of the first winter month (with recent years showing a tendency for snowier ends to the winter period), and yet we are complaining about so much that was never really promised.

Posted

Thanks I didn't know that, looks like it could snow in Northants for several hours !!

Bet you any money it don't happen. The GFS compeltely disagrees with the BBC charts, they will change it by tomorrow and that band of snow will be gone, i'll garauntee it.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The orientation of the showers over north west England has subtly shifted in the last hour or so from almost due W/E to NW/SE,significantly increasing the chance of some snowfall for Derbyshire and north Staffs, possibly into north Leicestershire later this afternoon.

Keep an eye on the NW radar.

Posted

Can't believe everywhere has had snow now other than our little patch of the Midlands, there's no chance of anything from this cold spell now.