Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The wind will only veer more westerly as the day goes on, so looks like I am out of it today. Hopefully some showers can come over the Welsh mountains without dying, but that's a big ask.

Posted

Second snow shower of the day, looks like a typical Cheshire Gap feed on the go.

:yahoo: Your in a better location than me, could do well from this. Don't you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

I am certain we will get a few showers come through the Midlands at some point during the next 24 hours. It looks like showers coming through off the north sea all day.

Posted

the showers die out once they get just past stoke, cant see this changing at any point today really. For the length of this cold spell, this will be the least snowiest by a mile. Our only chance is some sort of snowy breakdown, which doesnt look likely either.

Posted

How much has Stoke had this morning. Time and amount

just two moderate snow showers lasting about 5 mins each, nice dusting.

Have to admit the heaviest of the precipitation is passing 5 miles north of here, im sure Ian Brown will be getting pasted right now.

Posted

The wind will only veer more westerly as the day goes on, so looks like I am out of it today. Hopefully some showers can come over the Welsh mountains without dying, but that's a big ask.

Wind will be SW-ly by tonight so the cheshire gap will be further north still.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

Dry snow from a SW-ly is very rare too.

Clear blue skies here and very cold considering it`s a west wind at -1.3c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Some1 on the wales thread has just said and i quote '' just saw on bbc24 that there maybe heavy snow later for wales and the mids but not certain ''

Im guessing they have been watchin the news as the weather was a pre-recorded one and was crap .

The weather is all over the news so im guessing they have been talking to some1 in the studio or something .

HOPE

Posted

Issued by METO at 9.59 today

Valid from 12.00 to 22.00 20.12.09

Heavy Snow - Derby & Derbyshire

Snow showers will become frequent and heavy at times during today, these showers merging into longer periods of snow at times. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm of snow are expected, with 15 to 20cm possible over higher ground. There is also the potential for some drifting, mainly over higher ground, in fresh to strong westerly winds.

Here's the link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/em_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Issued by METO at 9.59 today

Valid from 12.00 to 22.00 20.12.09

Heavy Snow - Derby & Derbyshire

Snow showers will become frequent and heavy at times during today, these showers merging into longer periods of snow at times. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm of snow are expected, with 15 to 20cm possible over higher ground. There is also the potential for some drifting, mainly over higher ground, in fresh to strong westerly winds.

Here's the link:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Using the Met Office warning translator:

Derby and Derbyshire may get an occasional rogue shower, possibly giving a dusting or even a cm or two

Posted

I went to bed last night thinking ahh well at least we should get something from the Cheshire Gap to wake up and oh my! not a single cloud in the sky with NOTHING.

How could this cold spell get any worse.

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Watch the BBC video, nothing getting near Midlands. They've got it wrong again

They got it right yesterday, so I wouldnt discount it.

As a general picture, I think they may be on the ball again with this one. Have a look at the METO radar (or NW for that), and watch how the showers stop making in roads around the likes of Stoke, and further North, the likes of Macclesfield.

Posted

Using the Met Office warning translator:

Derby and Derbyshire may get an occasional rogue shower, possibly giving a dusting or even a cm or two

Had to laugh at this and its spot on.

I see I have a be prepared warning for my area. Well im certainly prepared for endless blue skies and sunshine lol.

Posted

I see I have a be prepared warning for my area. Well im certainly prepared for endless blue skies and sunshine lol.

Whilst I don't expect much for Derby, a dusting perhaps at best, I would say there is logic when looking at the warning. Derby/Derbyshire being the far most western county in the EM, has the highest risk.

But you have to admit, they are there as warnings, not certs.

Posted

laugh.gif We got a warning for 5cm last night in "many areas". I don't think anywhere in Staffordshire even got 2cm, I got a mere dusting.

The Met Office warnings seem to have gone even more OTT this winter, that red warning in the south east the other day perflectly reflects this.

At least the showers are now passing well to the north of me, not a few miles down the road. Makes it much less annoying.

Edited by nick2702