Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

wow heavy snow here now,up to 7cm cover.i hope this stuff heads se for you guys.cheshire also seeing heavy snow should start pushing into staffs soon i think

Highly doubt it. As we progress through the day it will become more and more confined to the extreme north of our region. It is no longer a Cheshire Gap streamer as the winds are too westerly. They will eventually just slam straight into the west coast and head straight for the Pennines.

Posted

I think the West Midlands are some of the only ones to miss out now

And parts of the East Midlands...and other parts of the country. Yesterday, before the showers came from the North, I saw no more than 5cm, which with in Northants. Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire (Rugby way) had just a dusting.

Easterlies and Northerlies are not the best and most secure source of snowfall.

We need to be realistic that the best set up for snow in the West of the East Midlands and the West Midlands are scenarios such as cold vs. mild battles and polar lows.

The former situations are plausable for snow, and sometimes decent snow, but are also more marginal feeds as well.

Posted

Winds coming from WSW in Shawbury. wtf is happening

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Heavy snow in the NW

I think the West Midlands are some of the only ones to miss out now

Yes but there only light surface winds , The winds on the Coast are stronger and still NW . looking at latest radar , 1 or 2 may even sneak into Leicestershire as the day wears on .

Posted

This happened last year the coldest places are further east with a slack polar atlantic flow,not as this is an atlantic flow just a N-ly but ending up as a west wind.

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Great for lowering the CET.

West will always be less cold -0.5c never recorded an ice day from a west wind yet and I won`t today either with it rising.

Tonight temps do still show a frost so any showers will settle if we get any.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2417.png

Posted

Yes but there only light surface winds , The winds on the Coast are stronger and still NW . looking at latest radar , 1 or 2 may even sneak into Leicestershire as the day wears on .

heavy snow showers here in stoke on trent,settling nicely!!!!

Posted

heavy snow showers here in stoke on trent,settling nicely!!!!

where about in stoke are you? north. im in south and a lot of the snow showers are moving passed accross the north.

Posted

A flurry in Derby yet its mostly blue skies.

Hence the warning, them flurries can be pretty treacherous!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its a shame we have just missed out again but im glad we had what we got yesterday! Looks like quite a wait until the next chance. Thursday could deliver a fair amount of snow for us with rain further SE but this could change yet.

Posted

Manchester Airport has been closed due to severe weather conditions

those lot up north are gonna get a real dumping... it's their day today!

Posted

So the regions who will largely miss out on any significant snowfall are the west Midlands, south Wales and the south west - the usual places!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looking at BBC Maps (not that i trust them!) some Precip could get quite close to us later on tomorrow night. We need to see the rest of the updates to see how close it gets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Beautiful here but incredibly icy and cars slipping all over the place.

Posted

If the met office forecast is correct, the wind is going to become W- WSW in an hour or two, i presume the showers in northern wales will drift to staffordhire.

it can only explain why the Met Office are forecasting heavy snow showers here at 15:00.

People

Looks to me like somethings coming our way, give in another hour, it'll probably disappear

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=166&y=206

Could get towards Shropshire soon

there is a chance , hmmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A beautiful crisp, icy morning.......Some very photogenic anvils 20 or so miles away to my north, no doubt giving Stoke some fun....Winds have too much of a westerly component to bring them here....Might just get a rogue shower later on....My eyes now turn to christmas eve, with a possible battle-ground scenario :)

Posted

A beautiful crisp, icy morning.......Some very photogenic anvils 20 or so miles away to my north, no doubt giving Stoke some fun....Winds have too much of a westerly component to bring them here....Might just get a rogue shower later on....My eyes now turn to christmas eve, with a possible battle-ground scenario smile.gif

nope, no fun here... those showes are missing us by 5-10 miles to the north... in fact the last 5 have missed us. just had two brief ones in the morning.

Winds have now turned westerly... this COULD bring the showers in wales to the northern/central parts of the West Midlandspardon.gif

Posted

nope, no fun here... those showes are missing us by 5-10 miles to the north... in fact the last 5 have missed us. just had two brief ones in the morning.

Winds have now turned westerly... this COULD bring the showers in wales to the northern/central parts of the West Midlandspardon.gif

There is one, quite big obstacle though - the Welsh mountains. Some showers will survive, but they will be fairly weak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

You really couldn't make this up, this is going to be a rant and a half so if anyone wants to pick fault with it then I wouldn't bother :)

Basically, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire have done absolutely AWFUL from this cold spell. I'm sure other places in the Midlands have too but this really has been the worst let down from such hype that I have ever seen.

South East... 5 inches+ even places 30 miles away like Northampton got a couple of inches and what do we get? 1cm accumulated over 3 days of snow showers. Now the showers which are in the North West, apperantly some places near mancs have 7cm? Those showers aren't even making their way to Leicestershire or Warwickshire because the winds aren't NW enough, they are too Westerly. So arguably the worst 2 places in the East Midlands during this cold spell. are going to miss out once again. So the North West now has decent snow cover, the South East, East, North East, Scotland and Central Southern England have seen around 5cm+ from this cold spell and here slap bang in the middle of the country we have seena 1cm dusting.

Don't care what anyone says, I am seriously annoyed.

Edited by andy_leics22