Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its going to be so icy here in the morning. With further snow showers possible its going to be interesting. If your travelling in the Dudley, Stourbirdge or Birmingham areas tomorrow (which seems to be the only places with decent snow right now in the West Mids! :help:) then take alot of care. Going to be very dangerous.

Posted

Snowing moderately now, touch heavy at times. Radar shows this next 5-10 minutes likely to be the best for the time being.

looks like the huge gap NNw of leicester will slip to our south east.

post-9498-12612606129813_thumb.png

post-9498-12612606337613_thumb.png

Posted

Sun/Mon got put back till Tue,Wed , then that got put back till Thu , Fri , then that got put back to SATURDAY ... And now Saturday is here all LEICESTER has is a thin icing sugar on and off dusting which is probably more FROST than SNOW . I know this doesn't apply to the SE . But this is the biggest let down ever for the EAST MIDS > .

No it isn't. Lincs, Northants and Rutland all have a couple of inches of lying snow or more. Only the north west of the region has largely missed out these past couple of days. But there have been plenty of times in the past where it's been the other way around. Can't generalise and say "bad event for the East Midlands" though just because Leics didn't do too well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Northants snow is having a real battle, sometimes flakes, then very granular, then sleet. Temp steady a 0.4c

Edited by jimben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

No it isn't. Lincs, Northants and Rutland all have a couple of inches of lying snow or more. Only the north west of the region has largely missed out these past couple of days. But there have been plenty of times in the past where it's been the other way around. Can't generalise and say "bad event for the East Midlands" though just because Leics didn't do too well.

Derby, Coventry, Nottingham, Rugby, Tamworth, Leicester all did crap in the East Midlands and theres loads in the West Midlands who did crap too. Was an awful cold spell for many areas in the Midlands in terms of snow. Hyped up.

Like the England football team really, promised so much, delivered so little.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thats it I have had enough .. bring back Summer . smile.gif Long lazy days on the beach watching the girls go by with a mint choc chip Icecream . smile.gif

Ok enough of dreaming, back to reality...

Mildly warm days where it rains most of the time with the odd extremely uncomfortable hot spell - no thanks!

Posted

After seeing the earlier forecasts i promised the kids we would be sledging tomorrow, looks like I'm gonna have to travel a few miles, and we might need to be up early. laugh.gif

Pretty much stopped since then. So on top of the snow left over from Thursday on the grass, that's maybe just about 2.5cm or 1 inch of snow on the grass. Would be a very bumpy sledge ride.

As others have said, it's pathetic really. The easterly set in 9 days ago today, we've had freezing cold air all around the UK, relatively warm seas potentially providing loads of moisture, winds from a variety of directions, and this is all we get...... Yet at latitudes much further south in the US, 1000s of kms from the sea, they get a foot or two of snow easy! i blame the laws of physics......

Posted

Derby, Coventry, Nottingham, Rugby, Tamworth, Leicester all did crap in the East Midlands and theres loads in the West Midlands who did crap too. Was an awful cold spell for many areas in the Midlands in terms of snow. Hyped up.

But we did not.

Posted

Actually I said East Midlands , .. this is classed as Leicester , Nottingham and Derby , and from what I have heard non of these areas have done very well at all. Your South Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nothings forming in the Irish sea to come through the Cheshire Gap either...

Give it a chance! :drinks:

Posted

But we did not.

To be fair you got lucky though didn't you. more than 80% of the Midlands got either nothing or a dusting and you got more than a dusting so you was one of the lucky ones.

Posted

With charts like this http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn061.png you would expect alot more,it`s not over yet by a long chalk this week yet.

But 2.5/10 I`d rate this cold spell so far,it`ll rise.

Posted

To be fair you got lucky though didn't you. more than 80% of the Midlands got either nothing or a dusting and you got more than a dusting so you was one of the lucky ones.

Andy ,it was the same in Feb we did alot better than you.

correct me if i'm wrong leicestershire had the worst of the weather a couple of days before northampton did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Nothings forming in the Irish sea to come through the Cheshire Gap either...

Have you seen what is already off west coast of Scotland and coming into N Ireland under upper temps of -10c

Posted

Actually I said East Midlands , .. this is classed as Leicester , Nottingham and Derby , and from what I have heard non of these areas have done very well at all. Your South Midlands.

Erm, okay then. Ignore the Met Office definitions and divide the region up how you want if you like. I think if you asked most people they would say Northants is in the East Mids, but it's a tedious point to argue over so I really can't be bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It stopped for 5mins and now snowing again but i think this is the last bit of the fragmented piece of the snowband coming through this part of warks.

I can`t see many south of here getting more than a dusting looking at the radar.It`s a narrow band and seems to be moving south east quite rapidly now.

Those of you down south may find it`s not worth staying up for.

Posted

Andy ,it was the same in Feb we did alot better than you.

correct me if i'm wrong leicestershire had the worst of the weather a couple of days before northampton did.

I know, yeh we got more or less the same amount when the first band come up from the South East but then when the 2nd band came up it the heavy stuff didnt come as far as Leicester and just reached Northants and dumped about 2 inches more on you than we got.

Erm, okay then. Ignore the Met Office definitions and divide the region up how you want if you like. I think if you asked most people they would say Northants is in the East Mids, but it's a tedious point to argue over so I really can't be bothered.

Don't get me started on the Midlands definition, you remember what I did in Feb surely? :unsure:

Posted

I thoght it had stopped snowing in Leic , Just put my hand out the window and the reason I couldn't see anything is because it is rain !