South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Hey Pat.

Merry xmas mate! - looks interesting doesnt it - fingers crossed

cheers Sam,

and you happy xmas to you mate..

from S/EAST thread

ITV weather has just said...........There is the chance of some *SERIOUS* weather next week, for the South snow/rain. The fact they used the word serious, I would be worried! ;) :lol: :lol:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sam you have just read my mind,thats what I was going to post.

After doing some study since yeasterday I came up with a depth of 1 FT possible

scenario!!!

If things come together :drinks:

Havent seen this since 1981/82

Though its early day's, :whistling:

I have heard this could be torrential PPN at some point...So what would that be as snow :rolleyes:

aye up Pat, a very merry christmas to you & all in the SW....apologies for interloping on your thread (hey I was born and bred in Brixham, Devon...lol) but saw your post and have done my own calculation based on 12z GFS...My little part of the west midlands has potential for 18-20 inches of snow from tues evening till friday morning...The potential for western/SW england is definitely there!......my recommendation to get through this snowy spell is lots of mulled wine, bicardi, stella Artois & DVD's of Yngwie J Malmsteen/Steve Vai...essential stuff :lol:

Posted

aye up Pat, a very merry christmas to you & all in the SW....apologies for interloping on your thread (hey I was born and bred in Brixham, Devon...lol) but saw your post and have done my own calculation based on 12z GFS...My little part of the west midlands has potential for 18-20 inches of snow from tues evening till friday morning...The potential for western/SW england is definitely there!......my recommendation to get through this snowy spell is lots of mulled wine, bicardi, stella Artois & DVD's of Yngwie J Malmsteen/Steve Vai...essential stuff :whistling:

Hi mate and welcome to the most happy winter thread of cider drinker's lol

and happy xmas....

Its our turn AJ not just for snow,but hopfully a 1963 or more..

This realy is looking like a possability to be a major event..

With BBC given advanced warning's out of a possabilty and ITV mentioning serious situation with snow and raIN FOR some...

But like the BBC weather guy said its still uncertain.

That was yesterday on National weather

I wont get to excited yet though and dont have much faith in ITV forecast's..

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

and happy xmas....

With BBC given advanced warning's out of a possabilty and ITV mentioning serious situation with snow and raIN FOR some...

You dont want to come into the midlands thread mate...its full of bickering, east/west midlands 'racism' splits & moaning...miserable buggers!....(compulsive reading though and great to stir up)....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

and happy xmas....

Please let it be true :whistling:

Posted

You dont want to come into the midlands thread mate...its full of bickering, east/west midlands 'racism' splits & moaning...miserable buggers!....(compulsive reading though and great to stir up)....lol

lol...I have been in there a few times but to many people trying to kill eachother over some snow. :whistling:

I like it in here, we are the happy bunch.

Even though we havent't a great deal of snow,infact all Ive seen is a dusting.

:rolleyes:

always welcome in the cider thread

EDIT...Lynxus Im lol and wishing mate...

Its going to be a good thread in here this week

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I think Rich that we change as time go on...

At present maybe we are the most Southern point for the snow..

But saying that I saw a report today about some parts of Devon to have snow as possabilty...

The good news is Met Office to put Very early sign's out...

This will change as the week go on.

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Yeah, this is the chill out thread for all those who get merry on the cider! Friendly in here; hope everyone's having a great Xmas. Off to Clearwell Castle in Monmouth for a wedding tomorrow, so glad the weather has 'warmed up' to be honest.

But then let the fun and games begin in a couple of days...with snow, snow, snow. Models seem to be indicating a slight backtrack from what was showing a day or two ago. Be nice to see a 78/79 end to December!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Yeah, this is the chill out thread for all those who get merry on the cider! Friendly in here; hope everyone's having a great Xmas. Off to Clearwell Castle in Monmouth for a wedding tomorrow, so glad the weather has 'warmed up' to be honest.

But then let the fun and games begin in a couple of days...with snow, snow, snow. Models seem to be indicating a slight backtrack from what was showing a day or two ago. Be nice to see a 78/79 end to December!rolleyes.gif

Jeez, that was amazing...I remember Craig Rich doing the forecast on Spotlight that lunchtime, I was a very excited 8 year old...That night my sister went to 'Brownies' around 7pm, it started snowing soon after, and even though childhood memories are hazy, we had an absolute dumping of snow in Brixham! :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Merry happy merry Xmas all.drinks.gif

I hope we get this snow next week that has been forecast and oooh If we re lucky we may even get thundersnow Yay yahoo.gif

Posted

ROB MACKELWEE news 24 3days of snow, sleet to start with turning to snow,3 days unbeleivable

3 day...6 inches....1ft...2ft..???????.who knows..

:whistling:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I must say this progged event came out of nowhere and would really be awesome it it manages to come off for everyone in the snow starved south west, i've always wanted to experiance a proper blizzard in the uk with deep snow, although i dont think we'll get deep snow here by the sea maybe an inch or so if we are lucky but still i think swings and roundabouts are yet to come.

Posted

ROB MACKELWEE news 24 3days of snow, sleet to start with turning to snow,3 days unbeleivable

laugh.gif

Haven't seen a telly forecast in a couple of days - i'll watch later.

Slight concern though that the models seem to be downgrading for us, judging by some of the comments in the Model Discussion Thread.

Posted

:whistling:

3mm?.....of rain??....lol

Posted

Aj what are you going to do next week with this scene

I'll be not going to work! :rofl:

Actually it could be very interesting, me, vicky & family are supposed to be going down to torbay on wednesday for the new year, note the emphasis on the word 'supposed'..!!

Posted

I'll be not going to work! :rofl:

Actually it could be very interesting, me, vicky & family are supposed to be going down to torbay on wednesday for the new year, note the emphasis on the word 'supposed'..!!

bad timeing...we could, might have a major event..

Your kick yourself if this happen's when your on the beach with suntan lotion and shades...

When us lot will be snow fest heaven...wishing...

Posted

bad timeing...we could, might have a major event..

Your kick yourself if this happen's when your on the beach with suntan lotion and shades...

When us lot will be snow fest heaven...wishing...

Even in summer, this is Brixham we're talking about, not the 'Algarve'....lol

Posted

Merry Christmas all

I'm not a weather expert, not to sure how to read all the graphs etc, but I do love the snow

Been reading the last few posts with some interest, and I've not seen the latest forecast etc,

Bit are we saying "at present with the current info" the South-West is expecting a battering of snow over the next few days?

I know everything at the moment is guess work, but in your views does this mean the whole of the south-west or only certain areas,

also would this event be generating buckets of the stuff or just a few passing showers?

Many Thanks

Posted

Just got on here for a couple of days.

Saw a TV forecast for HEAVY SNOW FOR THE SOUTH at 12.30...

Just seen another forecast now...SNOW FOR SOME NEXT WEEK......

Just been reading the model output thread........DOWNGRADES again for SW.

Might just log off now and look out the window on Wednesday / Thursday...

Anyway, dont know what the excitement is again on here, Wednesday is FOUR days away......Fantasy Island again if you ask me.

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl

No idea buddy but wednesday is looking more hopeful than tuesday to me.

Best bet is to watch the forcast and slightly upgrade what they say because they always downplay everything.

It we do have the correct temps/due points etc then woohoo it would be bucketing (we are not talking about showers) but its guess work atm as you said.

Merry Christmas

Posted

Merry Christmas all

I'm not a weather expert, not to sure how to read all the graphs etc, but I do love the snow

Been reading the last few posts with some interest, and I've not seen the latest forecast etc,

Bit are we saying "at present with the current info" the South-West is expecting a battering of snow over the next few days?

I know everything at the moment is guess work, but in your views does this mean the whole of the south-west or only certain areas,

also would this event be generating buckets of the stuff or just a few passing showers?

Many Thanks

we are just having a banter of a ramp mate..

Over the POSSABILITY of a good potential for heavy snow..

At the end of the day no one knows exactly what's going to happen,but the weather forecaster's will have a good idea nearer the time..

Great possabilitie's, also could be a great let down..

Take it all lightly at present and wish it happen's...

edit I see Tommy's post and agree with him totaly

Edited by dogs32