Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just saw the local bbc weather and the graphic showed rain on the northern edge and snow to the south. Is this right ... I thought it would be the opposite.

don't worry too much, those horrid graphics have been the bain of our lives ever since they were introduced, your area should be ok, (should) the setup is very wobbly as regards to exactly how far the front will get north, so the graphics are even more vague than they usually are.

We SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD, be ok.....did I mention...SHOULD :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I would pay more attention to what the forecasters are SAYING, not what the graphics are showing. The precipitation maps on the BBC forecasts are diabolical and always have been since they were introduced.

Posted

Well if there is ever an event where it comes down to now watching it is this. There is still disagreement between the models at +18. The Gfs has the ppn heading into Scotland, the high resolution NAE model struggles to get the ppn into the Midlands.

Posted

I would pay more attention to what the forecasters are SAYING, not what the graphics are showing. The precipitation maps on the BBC forecasts are diabolical and always have been since they were introduced.

oi!!!! COPY-CAT!! :unsure:

Posted

oi!!!! COPY-CAT!! :unsure:

The precipitation charts on the BBC arn't going the blindest bit of difference ,at the end of the day the models can't agree at +0 ... It could throw up some surprises or it could be rain for everyone . Who Knows. The BBC don't and not do the Met Office.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Think its gonna be rain tommorow here and probably a fair few hours of it, if it was snow i think we'd get a good old covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Rob McElwee on the BBC late shift again tonight. Good stuff! :unsure:

cool but whens that? its bank holiday, weather show on at 8.30pm on sky 503

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yeah, and what is that dirty white stuff the graphics display....snow?...a dirty white sock? or it could even depict that somewhere near Birmingham someone's spilt a pint of milk! :clap: :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Dense fog?

nope, my monies on at least a pint of milk :unsure:

Posted

Think its gonna be rain tommorow here and probably a fair few hours of it, if it was snow i think we'd get a good old covering.

Well i'm expecting rain , but I guess there is nothing like cuddleing up and watching only fools and horses with the rain banging on he window. And if it does turn to snow and leave a messy deposit on the floor well thats a bonus. I can not image a covering of snow here tomorrow with +5 850's +4 temp and well above freezing dues. But I like surprises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well i'm expecting rain , but I guess there is nothing like cuddleing up and watching only fools and horses with the rain banging on he window. And if it does turn to snow and leave a messy deposit on the floor well thats a bonus. I can not image a covering of snow here tomorrow with +5 850's +4 temp and well above freezing dues. But I like surprises.

[/quote

I've got a football match at 11am tommorow so i hope its not snowing by then tbh, infact i hope its still dry. Expecting mostly rian here like you, 2nd time in 2 amazing events we're looking likely to get not much if anything, which is relatively annoying - still one positive is that we have at least 2 and a half months left of snowy weather potential.

Posted

If we actually get the precipitation I would bank on it being snow here, but that's the problem - will I get the precipitation? Met Office certainly think so, but the BBC forecasts show it really struggling to get here until late afternoon.

Posted

[/quote

I've got a football match at 11am tommorow so i hope its not snowing by then tbh, infact i hope its still dry. Expecting mostly rian here like you, 2nd time in 2 amazing events we're looking likely to get not much if anything, which is relatively annoying - still one positive is that we have at least 2 and a half months left of snowy weather potential.

Yep always good to look on the bright side. Good luck with your football , Leicester and Doncaster got called off cause of a frozen pitch.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

Just got really foggy here so the temps must have risen??

I think it will be snow tbh, it feels (yes i know it's unscientific, but i've become cynical about lots of things in my old age), right.

Posted

Ay up! does this radar run look a bit weird to anyone else? what's with the heavy precip' to the east of southern ireland suddenly turning light?.....doesn't look right somehow...run the loop??

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted

Just got really foggy here so the temps must have risen??

I think it will be snow tbh, it feels (yes i know it's unscientific, but i've become cynical about lots of things in my old age), right.

Lol It feels like Snow ?? It doesn't here , all the Frost and Ice has now gone from the pre Christmas period,I just came home from town in a T-shirt. The weather said min -4 and Freezing fog all day here, but we didn't get below 1 degree last night , no frost at all , bright blue skys when I woke up and no sign of any Fog in Leicester last night or Tonight. Feels like Spring time here at the moment and that isn't a Joke.

Posted

I agree

I think it's going to be rain here for a while as well , i am expecting snow but I don't think it's going to be a 'Classical' Instant covering of snow thing.

IF it was i think a good half of the midlands would be under weather warnings now and not just some county's

Still not convinced this event will materialize like many would think!

Posted

Ay up! does this radar run look a bit weird to anyone else? what's with the heavy precip' to the east of southern ireland suddenly turning light?.....doesn't look right somehow...run the loop??

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Nope something has obviously gone wrong there. :rolleyes:

Posted

I think it feels bitterly cold out there. I went to the Albion match at Scunny, I know it's a bit further north but it was absolutely freezing up there. I think we still have a very small patch of snow in our garden as well. Our road is also very icy.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Lol It feels like Snow ?? It doesn't here , all the Frost and Ice has now gone from the pre Christmas period,I just came home from town in a T-shirt. The weather said min -4 and Freezing fog all day here, but we didn't get below 1 degree last night , no frost at all , bright blue skys when I woke up and no sign of any Fog in Leicester last night or Tonight. Feels like Spring time here at the moment and that isn't a Joke.

My grandmother use to tell me never to fratanise with Leicestershire folk.....I'm starting to understand why now :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

Most of the Midlands is under a warning, the colours indicate confidence levels and severity of the weather event. If things stay as they are, then you'll see everywhere in the 'yellow' warned areas upgrade to a 'be prepared' warning tomorrow, as confidence levels will obviously be greater than they are now.

You seem confident , I would expect things to stay as they are , The warning area getting some Snow , but the advisory area only getting Sleet and Snow on hills, and let's face it they don't normally put a warning out for hills. I would love to be wrong though , but the way I see it nothing is Screeming Snow in my area tomorrow , Things look a little more conductive from Thursday but that will be a different event IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ian fergusson's prediction in SW thread not too promising, 0-5cm's for my area, so may get none at all, but 5cms not too bad