Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just seen the 4:30 one and that went up to 17:00 tomorrow so I wasn't dreaming, Showing it further north :D

Just a waiting game for me now, See how much we get.

jk.

its a case of nowcasting even when the bbc start putting triangles over my house with 20cms written in it i wont believe it till it starts falling and i can see on the radar the heavy stuff is about to hit. I think leicestershire westwards is a good place to be regarding this though, far enough north for cold enough temps, far enough south for some heavy precip. :) :) :):D

Posted

Should settle easily enough too, the ground here is still frozen solid from last wee, and alot of the frrezing rain that fell and left 1" thick ice over alot of footpaths and fields still hasn't melted.

The canal here still has loads of 2" thick sheets of ice and the barges are having trouble mooring coz the ice is thicker near the banks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Should settle easily enough too, the ground here is still frozen solid from last wee, and alot of the frrezing rain that fell and left 1" thick ice over alot of footpaths and fields still hasn't melted.

The canal here still has loads of 2" thick sheets of ice and the barges are having trouble mooring coz the ice is thicker near the banks.

You are kidding me? The snow and ice melted here about 2 days ago lol, temps got up to 4c here yesterday and today, snow is long gone now and not seen any ice around either.

Posted

You are kidding me? The snow and ice melted here about 2 days ago lol, temps got up to 4c here yesterday and today, snow is long gone now and not seen any ice around either.

MMmmm? we got to 4'c yesterday too, maybe it's coz we have alot of trees around and here around the cut.

And as for the footpaths over the park at the end of my street....yes they are still frozen, I've just got back from a walk with my doby, and she pulled my over onto my bum and i'm now nursing a small bruise, I can post a picture of it if you want?

:p;)

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

The reasoning for rainfall in the east, as opposed to snow in the west, is down to intensity (GFS aside as that shows more equal distribution east-to-west). Where the heavier bursts of ppn are, the quicker it will turn to snow and settle. The latest ukmet output has the snow further east, so that is promising for the east midlands !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I wonder if the next GFS or UKMO model run will finally agree & tell me when my severe dose of man-flu will go away (there's only so much lemsip a man can drink) :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just watching the latest BBC Weather forecast it seems here will start seeing snow from around 10am and continuing with it moving very slowly. :lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Which areas are now most at risk, where is it likely to stall over?

Wales will be the Worst hit but the West Midlands not far behind. Parts of the S Midlands i feel stand a chance of it turning less wintry at times.

Posted

MMmmm? we got to 4'c yesterday too, maybe it's coz we have alot of trees around and here around the cut.

And as for the footpaths over the park at the end of my street....yes they are still frozen, I've just got back from a walk with my doby, and she pulled my over onto my bum and i'm now nursing a small bruise, I can post a picture of it if you want?

:drinks::nea:

It's ok I believe you :D

It is icing over here now, just took the dog for a walk and the streets and pavement are glistening. Really slippy everywhere because the ground has been wet all day and it's going to be mega dangerous on the roads tonight.

Posted

Are we still talking 3-6in & 6-12in over higher ground?

Is it actually going to reach us as i know some models are suggesting otherwise?

I highly doubt 6-12 inches over higher ground in the Midlands. Maybe 5 inches over high ground and a few inches on lower ground IF it's cold enough and IF the PPN makes it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the weather I saw on news 24 witn Dan Corbett looked very promising, the snow arriving this far north at around 5pm, and could last through to thursday, then turning colder

problem now is my temp is rising 1.4C now since this misty low cloud has rolled in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Are we still talking 3-6in & 6-12in over higher ground?

Is it actually going to reach us as i know some models are suggesting otherwise?

Any talk of quantities in a given location is complete guesswork. Have you seen how "bitty" the rainfall radar can become with a heavier bit of PPN here, there and anywhere. It's never a uniform band. Depths will vary markedly depending on intensity and longevity. Although things are beginning to fall in to place for certain areas, this is a nowcast !

Posted

I think places West Of Birmingham down to about Gloucester, over to much of Inland Wales could see quite notable snowfall. Could be a very very interesting couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I highly doubt 6-12 inches over higher ground in the Midlands. Maybe 5 inches over high ground and a few inches on lower ground IF it's cold enough and IF the PPN makes it.

Have to laugh at this im sorry, as your event has been downgraded to a non event dont try and play it down for us lot in the west . The weathers are saying 15cm widely , more on hills , and no doupt regarding the ppn not making it . Its gonna be big for the west , just not for leicstershire, prob patchy light snow possibly a cm on the grass and cars but nothing more im affraid.

Posted

weather09, in some drifts, ian from the SW thread is talking of up to 50cm in the best drifts, and potentially 20-30cm over the hills. i think our best hope, should we get mainly snow, is 10-15cm west of birmingham.

Posted

Have to laugh at this im sorry, as your event has been downgraded to a non event dont try and play it down for us lot in the west . The weathers are saying 15cm widely , more on hills , and no doupt regarding the ppn not making it . Its gonna be big for the west , just not for leicstershire, prob patchy light snow possibly a cm on the grass and cars but nothing more im affraid.

Wilma you are kidding me right? :hi: Leicestershire has just as much chance as Birmingham of seeing snow IF the PPN comes that far. I say 5-6 inches on higher ground above 200m is a possibility and 2-3 inches on low ground in the West Midlands is also a possibility.

If snow reaches as far North as Birmingham then Leicester will see some too.

The UKMO 12z model indicates that PPN will be over West and East Midlands by tomorrow night, which is a good sign. I'm not being jealous, i'm being realistic.

U36-594.GIF?28-18