Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

As is often the case these showers are quickly losing their intensity as they come inland. BUT parts of the county will see some flakes falling out of the sky tonight, particularly on the eastern side.

Posted

As is often the case these showers are quickly losing their intensity as they come inland. BUT parts of the county will see some flakes falling out of the sky tonight, particularly on the eastern side.

What has made it so far seems to have headed for Corby/Market Harborough area. Strange skies though with the full moon and some altocumulus. Maybe a chance of a flurry, cold enough now 0.2C.

Posted

sadly nothing falling out the sky yet here in corby but on lamp watch so will report any when it happens

Happy New Year to everyone.

Husband has just reported snow on the A14 at about 6.15 tonight at the kettering junction.

Edited by enigma

Posted

I had a lovely Snow shower outside the lamplighters pub in Leicester city Centre around 5pm , Almost magical with the fesive lights shining on it. Also had a shower in Enderby Near the Fox hunter pub about 7 , nothing to write home about but it is nice to see it when you don't expect it , as to TEITS earler comments it looks on latest radars like the main stuff tonight is going to miss Leicester and go into East Angler , infact No effence to TEITS but peterborough doesnt look that great currently either. On the bright side 18z looks better for Saturday night.

Posted

Happy new year folks, just been around and given all the neighbours a lump of coal (if only to bemuse them).

Weird innit, what the hell is this decade called anyway??? :yahoo: :lol:

Posted

First off i would just like to say hi all and happy new yeardrinks.gif been addicted to this forum for just over a year now and it has been a great read i must say. im just as anoyed as you lot to the lack of snow i know we allways struggle here in coventry but this winter i think we have got to get somthing good well i hope so. so keep your chins up theres still loads of winter leftgood.gif

Posted

First off i would just like to say hi all and happy new year:drinks: been addicted to this forum for just over a year now and it has been a great read i must say. im just as anoyed as you lot to the lack of snow i know we allways struggle here in coventry but this winter i think we have got to get somthing good well i hope so. so keep your chins up theres still loads of winter leftgood.gif

Happy new year everyone and best of wishes ! :drunk::drunk:

I sure we will , even if it's a little snow flurry lol. :lol:

Anyway great model viewing over the past couple of months haven't really posted on NW for a long long time but i think these last two years we've been spoiled a little bit with all this cold weather, even if we that means we get no snow or very little of it! :wallbash:

Posted

Happy new year!

Lets hope that the snowstorm of February 2001 finally makes it here this year! Or the 2012 snowstorm arrives early. Or even the 2019 one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Happy New Year everyone - hope it's a snowy January for us all (or those with working boilers :-)

Have a brilliant year all of you - 2009's been not that great so let's hope that 2010 is a fantastic one!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Happy new year everybody :)

Just something funny to kick off 2010 from me... Just checked the radar to see if any snow showers made their way across to my location tonight at any point and you know how lately I have been joking that LE3 where I live has a snowless shield over it... Well This is straight up the last 4 hours accumulation radar for my postcode...

:):):)

Maybe there really is some truth in it after all!!

post-2115-12623099568613_thumb.jpg

Posted

Happy new year everybody smile.gif

Just something funny to kick off 2010 from me... Just checked the radar to see if any snow showers made their way across to my location tonight at any point and you know how lately I have been joking that LE3 where I live has a snowless shield over it... Well This is straight up the last 4 hours accumulation radar for my postcode...

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Maybe there really is some truth in it after all!!

And i thought we had it bad dont worry its got to fill in some time soonsmile.gif

Posted

Happy New Year one and all! Quite a past year for me with the birth of our son, getting a PhD, having to move house, changing jobs etc. I hope the baby's new year's resolution is to sleep once in a while...

As for the weather, well I suppose there is still the odd chance of a flurry overnight. Phoned my sister up to speak to my nephews just after midnight on the southern outskirts of Middlesbrough and they had a fresh 3 inches of snow, on stuff that hadn't melted from previous. In fairness, that is more like I remember, because the NE hasn't had a decent spell like this for a while.

But irrespective of what weather we might or might not get in the Midlands, I want to wish everyone every success for 2010!

Yes Happy New Year everyone ;)

Unfortunately looks like a mild sector getting into the flow for tomorrow, GFS 00Z is showing temps of 4C so any precipitation likely to be sleety down to low levels or it could just be dry and cloudy later on saturday after a sunny start, hopefully the mild sector won't make any difference, i can't see much lowland snow tomorrow though for the midlands in any case, excellent long term prospects though so plenty of time for some snow to pop up for us though it looks a stable cold spell to me so maybe not much snow for central areas of the midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

These mild secters is a load of dog biscuits tbf, this cold we have now is the reall cold , in the coldest upcoming spell for well over a decade , trust me anythin that falls out of the sky will be snow , even if there is a mild secter its not gonna make that much difference .

Iv had a really good look at the gfs for 2morrow and there is no significant mild secter at all . The -5 uppers never leave us , oftern its -7, then in the early hours of sunday the -10 uppers start to penetrate the country . I havent even bothered to look at the temp max prediction chart cause i no enough about the charts to grab an idea of the situation and i can assure you all it will be nothing but snow.

Edited by shaun wilmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

These mild secters is a load of dog biscuits tbf, this cold we have now is the reall cold , in the coldest upcoming spell for well over a decade , trust me anythin that falls out of the sky will be snow , even if there is a mild secter its not gonna make that much difference .

Iv had a really good look at the gfs for 2morrow and there is no significant mild secter at all . The -5 uppers never leave us , oftern its -7, then in the early hours of sunday the -10 uppers start to penetrate the country . I havent even bothered to look at the temp max prediction chart cause i no enough about the charts to grab an idea of the situation and i can assure you all it will be nothing but snow.

yeah was looking at that, bbc give sleety rain, metcheck/netweather/gfs give snow, as you say uppers around -5C, but a max of 4C is predicted for tomorrow, but I still think marginal for me at only 103m asl

also I think a chance of snow flurries this afternoon and less marginal so should be snow

happy new year everyone!, really cold start to 2010, -5.0C minimum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

yeah was looking at that, bbc give sleety rain, metcheck/netweather/gfs give snow, as you say uppers around -5C, but a max of 4C is predicted for tomorrow, but I still think marginal for me at only 103m asl

also I think a chance of snow flurries this afternoon and less marginal so should be snow

happy new year everyone!, really cold start to 2010, -5.0C minimum

I can almost guarentee tomorrows high will not be 4c. Il eat my hat!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looks like the very cold and dry theme is set to continue, I wonder if this winter could break any rainfall records?

Posted

im going to have to moan about temperatures at the moment. everyone keeps talking about this bitterly cold spell in the making/the beast from the east, but yet in reality, temperatures havent been that low recently? and the forecasts of 1 or 2 degrees dont suggest any exceptionally cold weather is on its way. granted the models look good this morning, but it seems like they have overdone the cold recently imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Looks like the very cold and dry theme is set to continue, I wonder if this winter could break any rainfall records?

I see your min was -4.5C at around 9.15am, mine -5.0C, surprised as I'm 45m lower than you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

im going to have to moan about temperatures at the moment. everyone keeps talking about this bitterly cold spell in the making/the beast from the east, but yet in reality, temperatures havent been that low recently? and the forecasts of 1 or 2 degrees dont suggest any exceptionally cold weather is on its way. granted the models look good this morning, but it seems like they have overdone the cold recently imo.

I agree. But don't say that in the model thread whatever you do...