Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Methuselah

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Met O latest forecast.

The middle of next week and into next weekend will continue very cold with widespread frosts. The frost will be severe in places and perhaps extreme in some rural spots. Patchy freezing fog is also likely to form, which will be slow to clear and may linger all day in a few parts. Many western and southern parts will be mainly dry with some good sunny spells, although occasional sleet or snow showers are also possible. More frequent and heavier snow showers are likely in the north and east where further significant snowfall is likely. The further outlook will continue cold with further widespread frosts. However, it will probably not be as cold as the previous week, with perhaps fewer wintry showers.

Anyone seen the warnings for Peterborough, Cambs, Norfolk next Tues? Suggesting over 20cm possible locally. cold.gif

Hi Dave - Happy New Year!

The longer range METO forecast does seem to support the latest model ideas - although I have to say I am very surprised at the lack of any indication of the snow shower zone not including the rest of the SE. It mentions it being essentially dry with only occasional snow showers being possible for southern and western parts but I would have thought that the risk is surely higher than that here in the SE corner.

The further 10+ outlook suggests the HP coming nearer to the UK, although that is too far off to be sure about, and there is the hint that the high may stay far enough to keep snow showers going (hopefully!)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Looking at the radar there's a nice rash of showers coming towards the East tip of Kent / Thanet from the North East ... i just hope they beef up and give us all along the far East and South of Kent a real good dumping ;o)

Here we go ... snowing quite heavy and settling nicely ;o)

Posted

I can see the showers hitting the Margate, Ramsgate area of Kent, so near but yet so far rolleyes.gif

No chance of any here in SE Essex with the wind flow as it is at the moment, the wind is Northerly or ever so slightly NWesterly meaning showers will hit Norfolk and die out over Suffolk, or keep offshore and continue to hit the sticky out part of Kent.

If the wind does not change then no chance of any showers here today I am afraid.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can see the showers hitting the Margate, Ramsgate area of Kent, so near but yet so far rolleyes.gif

Maybe, the snowgods support Spurs??? :drinks::drinks::drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Looking at GFS/UKMO looks to be another spell of snow tomorrow night into the early hours , gfs looks more intense than the ukmo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

No chance of any here in SE Essex with the wind flow as it is at the moment, the wind is Northerly or ever so slightly NWesterly meaning showers will hit Norfolk and die out over Suffolk, or keep offshore and continue to hit the sticky out part of Kent.

If the wind does not change then no chance of any showers here today I am afraid.

Paul S

Agree Paul, doubtful of any showers here today.... I see you got a mention in the Echo, good on you.

Maybe, the snowgods support Spurs??? rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

I hope not, if thats the case I wont expect to see snow for another 50 years at least..............bit like Spurs fans waiting for a league title yahoo.gifclap.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

Then the sun came out, the temp has risen from +1.2c to +2.8c and its all melting ;o(

Posted

I hope not, if thats the case I wont expect to see snow for another 50 years at least..............bit like Spurs fans waiting for a league title yahoo.gifclap.gifyahoo.gif

:acute: :lol: :lol: :rofl::rofl::drinks::drinks:

You got me! :drinks:

Posted

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.giffool.giffool.gif

You got me! drinks.gif

rolleyes.gif sorry mate, couldnt resist........ quite nice in the sun, still a dusting of snow laying in shaded areas.........may try make a snowball, lol

Looking at GFS/UKMO looks to be another spell of snow tomorrow night into the early hours , gfs looks more intense than the ukmo

If there is any, it looks like a wintry mix due to a transitory small parcel of slightly milder air. Cold air is quickly tucking in behind it again - albeit it looks dry and sunny afterwards though for our part of the region

Posted

Hi Dave - Happy New Year!

The longer range METO forecast does seem to support the latest model ideas - although I have to say I am very surprised at the lack of any indication of the snow shower zone not including the rest of the SE. It mentions it being essentially dry with only occasional snow showers being possible for southern and western parts but I would have thought that the risk is surely higher than that here in the SE corner.

The further 10+ outlook suggests the HP coming nearer to the UK, although that is too far off to be sure about, and there is the hint that the high may stay far enough to keep snow showers going (hopefully!)

Last time the Met only issued warnings at first for Norfolk Suffolk Essex and Cambs. Then 2 days later the whole region had warnings for snow. Im looking forward to next week!

Last time the Met only issued warnings at first for Norfolk Suffolk Essex and Cambs. Then 2 days later the whole region had warnings for snow. Im looking forward to next week!

You look very well positioned to get a lot of snow next week!biggrin.gif

Thinking on from that update, I think that for us in the southern part of the region we need to see whether the very cold easterly develops later next week as to whether the snow risk jumps up here. Looks cold and dry here till then - although the odd flurry is still possible of course

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

06z GFS suggests SE Essex might get 1cm Saturday night from a Northerly trough that clips England as it sweeps down the North Sea. But northerlies never work here, they always peter out, so in my experience that will not materialise. Dewpoints 1c / temps 3c ahead of the front.. what falls will be rain turning to snow. PPN forecasts rarely hold more than 2 days ahead on GFS (and that's pushing it) so hope for PPN upgrade once the cold is established early next week.

Posted

You look very well positioned to get a lot of snow next week!biggrin.gif

Thinking on from that update, I think that for us in the southern part of the region we need to see whether the very cold easterly develops later next week as to whether the snow risk jumps up here. Looks very cold and dry here till then - although the odd flurry is still possible of course

I hope this Easterly does come, then it brings the snow risk to everyone in the region, like 2nd of February last year! It was continous snow for at least 14 hours here, and gave about 5-6 inches

I hope this Easterly does come, then it brings the snow risk to everyone in the region, like 2nd of February last year! It was continous snow for at least 14 hours here, and gave about 5-6 inches

The difference will be that unlike that occasion the snow will stick around longer - at least here. I say that because after the snow showers on the 1st and the heavy snow during the 2nd - a thaw started the following day down here. However, if the easterly comes together, then that looks very unlikely to happen this time around.

Posted

The difference will be that unlike that occasion the snow will stick around longer - at least here. I say that because after the snow showers on the 1st and the heavy snow during the 2nd - a thaw started the following day down here. However, if the easterly comes together, then that looks very unlikely to happen this time around.

At least now we have the cold in place, I agree with the Met the first snow showers will begin to fall around Tuesday afternoon, and should become more heavy and frequent on the North Easterly wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Agree Paul, doubtful of any showers here today.... I see you got a mention in the Echo, good on you.

So when are you planning to win the league again? In fact, when are you planning to win anything?

If they gave trophies out for talking about winning, Arsenal would win every single year.

Posted

So when are you planning to win the league again? In fact, when are you planning to win anything?

If they gave trophies out for talking about winning, Arsenal would win every single year.

lol, Im guessing you are another Spurs fan? whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

And proud ;)

Posted

We're all over the World, 'Gooner!!! :D As is the snow this year... ;)

Yo! Snowballz... ;)

Posted

And proud dirol.gif

We will leave it at that then, before we both get banned for non weather chat, haha drinks.gif ........ Still bright and sunny here

Posted

The band of snow showers is so close to me! but yet it's blue skies out there. it only needs to go a tiny bit further west a very tiny bit... we've had nothing yet!