Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

As a (very) recent Net Weather Extra subscriber, the 5 minute radar is marvellous for situations like this. This particular shower cluster is hugging the low ground almost - I wouldn't be surprised to see places like Market Rasen, Coningsby & Woodhall Spa next in the firing line.

put the 850mb wind flow on and judge from that where it might go-its a reasonably reliable guide in these situations for 2-3 hours.

Posted

flakes are getting a tad bigger but looks like a 1.5cm cover out there me thinks, better than nothing though :p

Posted

put the 850mb wind flow on and judge from that where it might go-its a reasonably reliable guide in these situations for 2-3 hours.

850's suggest a N/W flow so heading S/E.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Cheers John, along the western edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds by the look of it then.

Posted

Just had a brief snow flurry.

Hopefully we will get that organized band of showers over Newcastle but I'm not holding out for it, if we did the snow would stick like glue, the flurry I just had left a dusting.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Light snow flurries at the moment. I wonder if that other band of snow will survive it's journey in our direction.

Posted

stopped but deffo 1cm cover, looks like that other band could come down here?

Posted

stopped but deffo 1cm cover, looks like that other band could come down here?

I doubt it, similar situation to yesterday.

Posted

The night sky has that fantastic Orange glow, you just know it's going to get heavier :) .

Posted

I've just checked the predicted rainfall radar on Meto's Invent and it has the PPN presently of the coast of Scotland over us In Scarborough ALL day tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Temp now -2.2C under clearing skies. Dew point still -174.0C! Somebody help me! Tried turning the whole station On and off again and have altered position. It's driving me mad! :):)

Posted

just noticed theres a lil sector heading back here from that shower! love seeing situations like this when you haven't experienced them before.

Posted

I doubt it, similar situation to yesterday.

If you look east of Newcastle area and Scotland, you will notice all the showers are now due South, judging by the 850mb pressure charts the NW veers N then slight NNE overnight so them showers will move south, and then start to penetrate further inland tomorrow.

Lewis

Posted

If you look east of Newcastle area and Scotland, you will notice all the showers are now due South, judging by the 850mb pressure charts the NW veers N then slight NNE overnight so them showers will move south, and then start to penetrate further inland tomorrow.

Lewis

you have a good point there mate! be really nice watching it all day, deffo what i need right now ;) hope most places see snow tomorrow!

Posted

Lewis

Yeah but wasn't this supposed to happen yesterday and the day before, the showers never really make it in to Yorkshire, bar the odd shower last night.

Posted

Yeah but wasn't this supposed to happen yesterday and the day before, the showers never really make it in to Yorkshire, bar the odd shower last night.

It was not suppose to happen because the GFS was showing a NE flow up until 36 hours before the "events". The GFS had problems handling the LP, and instead of us ending up in a NE flow, it was a more Northerly, with a mixture of NNW. So the showers was never going to pentrate inland.

The difference now is that the showers North are part of the LP system pushing down tomorrow, it's what switches the winds to a NE.

The trough has a certain path, you can clearly see this on the UKMO charts;

FSXX00T_24.jpg

And then;

FSXX00T_36.jpg

Many areas will see some snow from tomorrows event. Once again, the favorite areas would be area's close to the Coast, and also N Yorkshire, aswell as parts of N lincs, i also think Doncaster may do well from them.

Although i must add, for areas right on the coast, i would expect a wintry mix to begin with, as the warmer sector brushes us, dew points become marginal for a time, as we pick up a fair bit of modification.

I don't know if my predictions/analysis is 100% so maybe John Holmes if he has time would care to have an input.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS shows next to nothing, but the UKMO output does show the low centred in the North Sea, personally i am more interested in the next 24 hours, looks like the band to the north arriving in a few hours, and then more snow forecast tommorow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Had about 5cm of snow here in Pocklington this afternoon from a heavy/prolonged spell of snow which gave an excellent depth really quickly! All eyes now to the north for the next band :)

Posted

Thanks Lewis

Anyone elses temps rising? 0.4c here, was -0.3c

Posted

0.8c now, temps are shooting up, warmest it's been here all day.

Posted

its still going here!!! its stalled a bit over my location!

update: thicker flakes now! this is weird!!!!

Edited by Craigers

Posted

Had about 5cm of snow here in Pocklington this afternoon from a heavy/prolonged spell of snow which gave an excellent depth really quickly! All eyes now to the north for the next band <_<

Yes hopefully some comes to Beverley....amazing how a short distance and a bit of elevation makes all the difference. We have only had 1 decent shower all day which has just left a few frozen flakes on the ground.

Posted

its still going here!!! its stalled a bit over my location!

Same here mate, it's been snowing for a long while now,although mostly light.