Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Jayces

Posted

Hang on tight the 06Z is moving the risk of heavy snow further E. More in a min.

Yeah it is looking marginally better

Posted

The further E you are forget it, maybe a dusting.

That's not going to be particularly helpful if that's wrong, which it most probably will be.

I'd say western areas likely to see most of the snow. Berkshire westwards then moving into the London area later. Widely around 10cm but as much as 20cm in the SW of the region.

Eastern areas, around London and eastwards will get more prolonged snow at times tomorrow.

Posted

Would not pin your hopes on that trough tomorrow LS - Looks a weak affair at the moment with Light Snow and probably only get a dusting from that, thats if it is even where it is tomorrow, could be further South and Kent and Suusex get the heavier parts of tomorrows Snow. Still not convinced yet of much in the way of penetrating showers for Thurs and Friday either as the flow is very slack and winds are more North of East than East of North.

Paul S

Cheers for that Paul. More Prozac needed now!

:D:D

Posted

You do realise the home counties accounts for quite a large number of locations, did Sky suggest northern home counties or southern or all? Or were they as vague as they normally are, hoping that the viewer did not notice.

The North and Western home Counties will be badly affected including Herts. but the forecast looks good also for the Far Eastern side in the next 48 hours with heavy showers filtering in off the North Sea. KoldWeather was RIGHT it has moved slightly Eastwards, I was up until 4 a.am. this morning posting on here watching the radar and there was a disturbance in the more South Westerly direction. I t's a battle of the Low today but either way it looks good for the SE Eastern and Northerly Home Counties.

Posted

Looks to me like the 06Z GFS has brought this little feature currently near Liverpool MUCH further East. Looking like North West/West London may see something later today...

Posted

Tomorrow is looking excellent for some of us.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs303.gif

Dave the Low looks identical to yesterdays 18z and the 00z to me on the 06z run ??

Where are you seeing the risk further East or do you mean Tomorrow at T24

Paul S

Edit: Ah okay in your back garden :lol:

Posted

Tomorrow is looking excellent for some of us.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs303.gif

Is that band swinging SE TEITS? Looks dry for Essex & Kent if not!

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Dave the Low looks identical to yesterdays 18z and the 00z to me on the 06z run ??

Where are you seeing the risk further East or do you mean Tomorrow at T24

Paul S

The 06Z moves the risk of heavy snow further E with some of the heaviest snow just N of London. At the same time a band of snow moves from the N Sea. On Wed a line of snow runs from Norfolk to Cambs and then this moves S during the day.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs213.gif

Definately further E albeit slightly.

Posted

Very confusing watchng the difference in the forcasts from just yesterday ! to be honest ive not a clue what to expect here in N Kent .... can someone with some knowledge say if N Kent is in line for some snow at some point...I was kind of expecting some this Thur/Fri but again very hard to pick info from threads....

thx

In my humble, I just think this could be a bit off a non event for here in the Medway area. It looks like things are going to stall West, meet stuff from the South and just basically loop around here, making like a cell / snow void right over Kent. I think many westwards, M4 corridor area are going to have a snow event to remember in the "Top 10's. Meanwhile the nearest we'll get to deep stuff will be watching the results on Sky News.

Though after the main event we could get a dusting, but that will possibly fizzle out.

To be honest I have no real idea....... but I can just see the above scenario happening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hang on tight the 06Z is moving the risk of heavy snow further E. More in a min.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs183.gif

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs213.gif

Nightmare to forecast!

Yes indeed an absolute pain to forecast,looks like the wrap around pushes heavy snow back over E/A overnight,LOL just unbelievable !

Posted

Yup - so much so, that the precipitation risk covers most of Kent, now, perhaps not the very East of Kent More later after the ensembles are released.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

I am unsure that Norwich will get much out of this as everything I have seen so far seem to just miss me, it will be a complete disapointment if that happens. Not sure if any one has any views on that?

It is actually snowing here south of Norwich at the moment but its so light I can hardly see it!

Posted

The 06Z moves the risk of heavy snow further E with some of the heaviest snow just N of London. At the same time a band of snow moves from the N Sea. On Wed a line of snow runs from Norfolk to Cambs and then this moves S during the day.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs213.gif

It was a very marginal move East and Kold did tell us that if it happened most of the Northern and Western Home Counties would be in the frame for Heavy Snow, the move East was obvious to the radar watchers during the night, I did post it around 3 a.m. this morning on the thread. Like many forecasters it's a case of Nowcasting in the main but the run looks set for the rest of the day as forecasted on the Sky weather and BBC now.

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted

A day for radar, satellite and lampposts I reckon. Here's the situation an hour ago:

LOC_20100105_0900.png

Posted

A rare sight indeed. The whole of the country plastered in snow

Jan

If the ECM is right tonight/tomorrow could be a taster of things to come!

Have to say the uncertainity with regards to tonight/tomorrow is fasinating. The questions that need answered is where will this band of heavy snow develop? how far NE will it move before retreating S? You then have to throw in the complication of a band of snow moving into Norfolk, Cambs from the N.

A very long night ahead of us tonight which I may stay up for. Having said this my attempt at getting up at 4am this morning was a disaster!

Posted

There is a risk of sleet, would you believe! Here's the charts I would use in determining whether stuff will fall as rain/sleet/snow:

post-5986-12626818484025_thumb.gifpost-5986-12626818628325_thumb.gifpost-5986-12626818775225_thumb.gifpost-5986-12626818842125_thumb.gif

As you can see there is, relatively speaking, a mild bit stuck in this low pressure system. Associated with that are marginal parameters. There is also a chance that GFS has modelled this as slightly too cold (according to the ensembles)

So the risk is there, but I wouldn't call rain for this one, and I'd edge over for snow. For higher ground, snow is virtually a certainty, but at sea-level especially near coasts ..... not sure.

Sorry I was referring to my location rather than anywhere further south where it's more marginal

Posted

Hmmm. Not that I trust the GFS Ppn charts (even the high res ones) but it does appear the band of snow could pivot and head back NE for a while, from around 10pm tonight. Then a trough moves in off the N.Sea tomorrow which could gives us more throughout all of Weds.

Maybe all is not lost...

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Has any 1 noticed that Sky News reporters are now quoting the depth of the Snow in inches and not cm s now ? I wonder if they will use Kentimetres later tomorrow. lol

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

If the ECM is right tonight/tomorrow could be a taster of things to come!

Have to say the uncertainity with regards to tonight/tomorrow is fasinating. The questions that need answered is where will this band of heavy snow develop? how far NE will it move before retreating S? You then have to throw in the complication of a band of snow moving into Norfolk, Cambs from the N.

A very long night ahead of us tonight which I may stay up for. Having said this my attempt at getting up at 4am this morning was a disaster!

I'm a bit miffed though as to where these bitter temps are TEITS? Some saying the coldest winter for a generation but still mildish here at the mo in Tonbridge. I appreciate that IMBY may not be where the most snow, lowest temps are etc but for a generational cold spell i want to know where it is????? 1991 it aint here!

Posted

Hampshire may actually see a period of freezing rain first as the mild sector affects them this evening, before it turns to snow.

Yea,drags in relatively warm 850s,only for a short while though,its the fuel for it and it mixes out quite quickly :girl_devil:

Edited by TN9