Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Snow has returned here again after a brief lull. I don't think I've ever seen so much level snow before. I have seen greater depths through drifting snow, mainly in the '80s but in terms of level snow this beats the lot. biggrin.gifcold.gif

yeah certainly not bn this bad here since the 80s,the amounts didnt quite coincide with the weather warning the meto put out last night-upto 5cm,i think we had a bit moreyahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Had an hour dry slot looks like plenty more to come for liverpool/cheshire

HCwhat do you think?

C.S

Posted

Just phoned work and there was only one member of staff in the office! She said she had to walk (she only lives a mile from work).

Buses are not currently running until further notice so I said I will attempt to go to work once they start running again! A nice morning off work!

Thick snow continuing to fall.

Edit: totally agree with Happy Days, this is a major event and we should enjoy it as much as possible!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Had an hour dry slot looks like plenty more to come for liverpool/cheshire

HCwhat do you think?

C.S

Is it me or is the behaviour of the snow out in the irish sea (linking up with the manchester snowband) acting as though its trying to form a lp system? It actually looks like its rotating a little bit. Note the streamer and the extra snow that Northern Ireland will get, I have a sneak feeling we'll likely see some sort of streamer once the snow hits the east coast of NI.

At the moment just looking purely at the radar its a hard call to make whether liverpool will see more...if that system turns out to be a lp..then it could get very interesting very quickly...the snow is just a little bit to my north..however if it isnt a lp..then the link up with the 2 bands of precip..the bigger band (manchester) youd think would pull it more towards us.

I still think there may be chance of more precipitation bubbling up out there in the irish sea...since day break its become more active.

EDIT: I also think its quite possible for that snow in preston to potentially hit us too. It probably won't but I wouldn't bet on it not doing though.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Is it me or is the behaviour of the snow out in the irish sea (linking up with the manchester snowband) acting as though its trying to form a lp system? It actually looks like its rotating a little bit. Note the streamer and the extra snow that Northern Ireland will get, I have a sneak feeling we'll likely see some sort of streamer once the snow hits the east coast of NI.

At the moment just looking purely at the radar its a hard call to make whether liverpool will see more...if that system turns out to be a lp..then it could get very interesting very quickly...the snow is just a little bit to my north..however if it isnt a lp..then the link up with the 2 bands of precip..the bigger band (manchester) youd think would pull it more towards us.

Yep I think that's a good call - definitely some rotation on the radar and I would say there is a small low centreing over North Wales just now. The rate that moves south will probably govern how much more snow we get in the NW but I must say it all looks pretty sluggish just now and I would expect some intensification of the precip around it giving further moderate falls to the south of the region this morning

UPDATE: Pasting it down here now. A good inch in the last hour and still snowing on the heavy side of moderate.

Posted

Prepare for the next battering West Manchester, another couple of inches on the way by the look of it!!!yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just phoned work and there was only one member of staff in the office! She said she had to walk (she only lives a mile from work).

Buses are not currently running until further notice so I said I will attempt to go to work once they start running again! A nice morning off work!

Thick snow continuing to fall.

Edit: totally agree with Happy Days, this is a major event and we should enjoy it as much as possible!

Karyo

I dont think the buses in Oldham are running, well not on the manchester to sholver (83) route .. not see one today. I think the gritters have give up now too and probably just going to plough/ grit the main A roads and forget the rest. All the cars around here are burried upto the bumpers now or alteast halfway up the tires anyway.

Defonately a winter to go down in the history books with the rest of the classics regardless of what happens during the next 2 month.. can you beielve we still have 2 HOLE MONTHS of good winter time left to go ? lol.

Current conditions - Light snow with a temp of 0.8c

Posted

mmmmm...I think the precipitation out in the Irish Sea is starting to take a more southerly track, and that would match the wind direction at present. North Wales could be seeing quite a bit more snowfall before the days out. I sense a slight easing back here. Still snowing, but not as heavy now.

Posted

Morning all. Woke up to find some 10cm topping up of what Snowfall we already had here on the Snowfields of Derbyshire.

Looks like the LP is beginning its wrap-around as HotCuppa mentioned, the RADAR suggests this is the case which means more snow banding to come aswell as further activity for the NW for the coming hours into the Afternoon. Stockport College is shut im informed aswell as many of the schools locally here in the Peak District.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

My school is closed for the first time since i've been there (5 years)

No snow for hours now, it needs to hurry up!!

Posted

The snow along the coast further north is slowly moving south we still got plenty of time...the intensification of the LP is well under way if you ask me, banding is becoming more visisble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The snow along the coast further north is slowly moving south we still got plenty of time...the intensification of the LP is well under way if you ask me, banding is becoming more visisble.

Nothing for a few hours here... Will it be much longer before more hits? :good:

Posted

any one elsew having problems with raintoday radar trhink its gone into meltdown....snow easing now here

I can't zoom in if thats what you mean..which is a real pain at the moment.

Posted

I need help, its been that long since i've seen this much snow i cant remember how to make a snow man for the kids!!! 4"+ laying on the ground and still snowing here in south Warrington..