Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

Evening all Guys!

Serious dumping here, never seen so much, got about 6inches here. The main brighton rail line runs along the back of my house, and they are broken down and have come to a stop! Its crazy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Hubby's colleague just texted to say he has just arrived home! Central Soton to Curdridge - 5 hours!

Anybody else got flickering lights?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

At the back of B & Q off the A4..

No not going anywhere as the canal has been frozen solid for days!!

I see, not far from the 'Narrowboat' and where my mate works at the Business Park.

Still snowing well, I estimate 6 inches or more by the morning surely.

You got to love this cold spell, last time I remember anything like this and what we can expect in next 10 days or maybe more was the early 90's when 4-5 foot icicles hung down from my roof whan the thaw finally set in.

Take care all but i'm going nowhere, loving all the updates.

STORMBOY

Posted

Thankfully no flashing lights here. You prepared for your eleccie to go out?

Is it my imagination or is that band of snow beginning to move west?

Definately imagining it. Don't do it to yourself!

Posted

Just got the tape measure out - currently on 11cm and still snowing steadily. According to the latest predictions the snow band looks like it will intensify in the early hours and linger longest over the Thames Valley - maybe the 30cm+ we've been warned about isn't impossible here...

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Great, I couldn't figure it out but it looked like 4 inches or so, is that right?

I reckon we now have 2 inches here outside

STORMBOY

yep spot on 4inches.

very fine snow here now almost sleet:cc_confused:

Posted

temperatures rising, it lightly rained for a good 30 minutes here, with the temp at 1.4 degrees the snow is starting to melt I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad !

Posted

temperatures rising, it lightly rained for a good 30 minutes here, with the temp at 1.4 degrees the snow is starting to melt I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad !

is it over well its going to be clearer soon so expect temps to plumet but look at this radar loop for the channel look in the channel is that convection building looks like it to me.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&CREG=cha&CONT=ukuk&BIG=0&ZEIT=201001052130&LOOP=1&LTYP=std&ROAD=0&CITY=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

Posted

think this is what Kold was on about with another center forming around pompey/ soton, it could lead to a reduced PPN in that areaand turn the PPN more northwest.

if you look close on the radar you can see this happening, not bad for a non event 4/5 hrs ago !!!

Posted

trouble is we are currently drawing the warmer air and it is melting the snow fast, you can see it sinking on the cars and its coming of the trees mega quick, how long before we see us drawing cold air again? when do we start to pull in sse/e winds through the night to draw the temp back down ?

can you tell I want work from home tomorrow ? lol

trouble is we are currently drawing the warmer air and it is melting the snow fast, you can see it sinking on the cars and its coming of the trees mega quick, how long before we see us drawing cold air again? when do we start to pull in sse/e winds through the night to draw the temp back down ?

Posted

Has it all gone for me for good now then?

we're due for another bit of heavier precipitation any minute I think - seems like it is being pulled round the top of the low.. was trying to see if the low was moving west but I think it is just deepening..

Posted

the radar loop i posted earlier watch in the channel the swirl and building convection another hour or two it will look much better wether it hit portsmouth iow not sure maybe heading towards pool.

although this convection will just be showers still could produce a couple more cm.

but here in portsmouth maybe about it but i keep and eye on all 3 radars see what happens.

but i can say im very impressed brillant snow for building snowmen nice and sticky and plenty of it it looks lovely and its what winter is all about.

Posted

we're due for another bit of heavier precipitation any minute I think - seems like it is being pulled round the top of the low.. was trying to see if the low was moving west but I think it is just deepening..

where are you trevw?

Posted

Has it all gone for me for good now then?

should be a bit heavyer for you now Beka, plenty about still just getting the low a bit further south or west to give us plenty.

Bed time and see what we got in the morning i think

take care folks

Posted

Bit complicating isn't it! Not an easy situ with all these lows everywhere!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

PompeyFC, you tell them you are working from home!

I believe as do the experts on here, would say this could certainly get serious in places by this time tomorrow. 2 more belts of snow yet to arrive in next 24 hours for parts of the south. I want to see those rulers out everyone, 2 foot anyone?

STORMBOY

heaving down now here in Newbury.

Posted

where are you trevw?

winchester.. have been watching most of the snow pass by to the east by what seems a miniscule amount all evening! finally got a decent heavy shower just now - still got barely an inch though - hence I'm hunched over the radar willing the snow.. west, west :-)

Posted

Raining lightly in Southsea now & starting to melt ever so slightly (but it always does down here as soon as it stops snowing) I don't care either, have seen amazingly heavy snow this evening & had 10cm (4 inches) more than I have ever seen here, so am quite happy even if I see no more snow the rest of this winter drinks.gif

Posted

Yeah I've got the same conditions here! nearly 1c and light drizzle, but not a lot of melting going on, just snow falling off trees. I suspect that Ppn should ease off a little as the clearer skies are arriving over the Isle of white! So this should be, in my mind, a temporary event.

Posted

Bit complicating isn't it! Not an easy situ with all these lows everywhere!!

yup, snow seems to do whatever it has to to avoid us.. still more than I thought we were going to get a couple of hours ago..