Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

winchester.. have been watching most of the snow pass by to the east by what seems a miniscule amount all evening! finally got a decent heavy shower just now - still got barely an inch though - hence I'm hunched over the radar willing the snow.. west, west :-)

Can you go out with your ruler please? :pardon: I'm in my jim jams with wet hair!

Posted

heavy snow here in basingstoke. and has been for the past 5 hours or so.

Yes ... incredible here. I'm in Bramley, a few miles north of Basingstoke.

Now 13 cm on the patio and still chucking it down. I'd say we've got more now than we did the week before Christmas when all the cars were abandoned in the Basingstoke /Reading area.

I see that the BBC are broadcasting from Stratfield Turgis....good call given all the snow we've got and the proximity of the Wellington Arms for their hot cocoa and comfy nights sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Can you go out with your ruler please? biggrin.gif I'm in my jim jams with wet hair!

Nice, what an image.whistling.gif

omg, don't go out and get a newspaper in the morning or switch the news on, comparisons with 1947 and rationing within the next few weeks are possible i.e. as in 1947 etc.

Mind you as I suggested in another thread a few weeks back, remember the natural global cycles 1962/63, 1981/82, 1990/91 & oh dear 2009/10. and of course much better forecasters/intelligent folk than me did mention JANUARY was the month to watch.

Look after yourselves and those that need it, even the wildlife.

Snow Joke

STORMBOY

Posted

Can you go out with your ruler please? :) I'm in my jim jams with wet hair!

4cm/1.5inches - still some snow to come so it might make 2... not going to make the news but might be enough to play in :-)

the forecast from the 18z on netweather shows us having about 10cm from midnight so we'll see. Would be well chuffed if that happened!

Posted

well all 3 of my kids schools are shut 2morow

just hope it sticks around till then

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

Heavy rain here for over 50 minutes.:) Oh I am so sad!:clap: All my lovely snow (a whole inch of it :) ) is now steadily melting. Going off to bed in a very bad huff now!!!!:)

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

im extremely happy with the snow we had tonight my kids got to spend 4hrs or so playing in it

anything else is all a bonus to me (fingers crossed we'll see some 2morow, snowfalls always better in the daylight)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello all.

I do think I should be tucking myself into my warm bed by now, but I reckon the folk on SKY and the BBC N24 are taking note of our ramblings on these forums and no doubt others, so keep the posts coming all the way through this event please.

Readings as of 0:25GMT courtesy of my Davis VP2

Air Temp 0.1c DP -0.3c not moved much for 10-11 hours now so looking good for seriopus dumping in my area, interestingly MSL AP 997.5mb which is deeper than forecast.

Take Care all and keep all the posts coming

STORMBOY

Posted

big flakes here in basingstoke.. non stop all night. this is just insane. normally we get a snow flurry for about an hour or so - its been going on for about 6 or 7 hours now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

well all 3 of my kids schools are shut 2morow

just hope it sticks around till then

Huh! My kids' school website suggests logging on at 7am to find out if the kids have a snow day! :rofl:

big flakes here in basingstoke.. non stop all night. this is just insane. normally we get a snow flurry for about an hour or so - its been going on for about 6 or 7 hours now.

Cheers, justinflavin - supposed to be heading that way in the morning but... I don't think so!

Flickering lights seem to have stopped now, thank goodness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Posted Yesterday, 16:51

Hi all,

Turning a little sleety in Portsmouth but keeps changing back to rain! My mum just called in Waterlooville, apparently there are big snowflakes coming down and her drive is nearly covered! Amazing, I can drive there in 10 minutes!! Now there's an idea lol......

UPDATE - Evening all (for those still up!) I decided to take the '10 minute drive' to Waterlooville/Horndean which ended up taking me 4.5 hours! I was amazed at how quickly the weather changed from Portsmouth which was just turning sleety when I left to almost blizzard conditions further up the A3!! Luckily I called my parents who decided to brave the weather and walked down the hard shoulder with flasks of tea and biscuits for everyone! Also brought a big sheet for modesty for us ladies who needed the toilet lol! People were abandoning their cars all over the place and in the end a group of about 20 blokes were salting the slip road (with supplies from the nearby Morrisons supermarket I think) and helping to push cars up the road to get the traffic moving.

I have to say that I got a bit scared at one point because the snow was just relentless, huge flakes like I'd never seen before down here (as some have already reported). My dad, bless him, stayed until nearly 11pm with the others to get each and every car up the slip road for those who hadn't given up! We just measured the depth in the garden - 8 inches!! Couldn't believe it - still snowing lightly now but getting less and less.

Goodness knows what it would be like if we get some more tomorrow but I'm over the moon with what I've seen tonight even if it was a bit of a scary adventure at times! Also dead chuffed with everyone helping one another and pulling together.

Sorry about the long post - just wanted to share my experience! Will try and upload some pics tomorrow. Hope all that had snow enjoyed it and take care. Night night! smile.gif

Posted

Not been out to measure yet, but we have had a dumping overnight in Newbs and we are on the edge of the sweet spot..

Somewhere to the north of Portsmouth around the Butser Hill area must have had over a foot of snow or more looking at the 24 hour accumulations - amazing!!

Posted

Not been out to measure yet, but we have had a dumping overnight in Newbs and we are on the edge of the sweet spot..

Somewhere to the north of Portsmouth around the Butser Hill area must have had over a foot of snow or more looking at the 24 hour accumulations - amazing!!

Just been out and measured on top of the boat ( Newbury) its between 2.5 - 3 inches still snowing but just lightly

Edited by lovestruck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Just been out and measured and Bournemouth has done it again. NOTHING.

Oh I do love this place.

Posted

Just been out and measured on top of the boat ( Newbury) its between 2.5 - 3 inches still snowing but just lightly with

A lovely picture out there this morning snow covering everything including the neighbours washing line... just about to ride my bike to work - should be fun!!

Posted

Morning all :-)

Here in cranleigh. just a few miles south of Guildford, it has snowed pretty much all night since 8.30pm. Hubby has just ventured out with his ruler, and we have 15cm/ approx 6 inches. Its still snowing hard and hopefully we're in for a bit more, as this low seems to be stuck right over us and doesn't appear to want to leave us....what a shame !

(see : www.raintoday.co.uk)

For all those who have to go out in this...STAY SAFE !!

Posted

Just started snowing again in Bognor at around 7-45am.We had snow yesterday during the evening between 7 and 9pm then nothing overnight.Snow is quite heavy now as I type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

just an update taking kids to school.

and its snowing again here in leigh park drinks.gifyahoo.gif

does it look like that preciptation will pass over the iow in the next hour???? lets hope!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

snowing again heavy in gosport

snowing in shanklin on the iow!!! getting heavy now!! just heard the man from wroxall weather station say we might get 8inch today!!!!! dont know about that??? hope so!!!whistling.gif