Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

just looking at where people are and the south west is soooo big you have peeps from near wales and right over near oxford, and im right down the bottom of cornwall, which means everyones weather is gonna be so different....

Posted

Trying to snow here, bits drifting about in the wind, which has picked up. At least the temp has gone

down to -1.0c. Even the local 'yoof' has been out, trying to pelt people's windows already.

Feel like its going to be a long day tomorrow with them being off school.

Should I stock up on snowballs now? :wallbash:

Posted

The centre is situated over southampton currently, however this is further east than the recently progged 18Z GFS or the 12Z NAE.

It should be moving SW but doesn't seem to be ready to do that atm.

The central pressure is rather elongated with Middle Wallop having a Southerly and Boscombe down a few miles away a northerly.

This would indicate a much tighter ark than the METO are thinking, the westward movement of the ark is associated with the SW movement of the low, if this doesn't happen as quickly as planned you will again have a much tighter ark.

This has still some surprises in it IMO, worth saying the the 18Z does give general precip for the south(inc dorset) for most of tomorrow.

The NAE thoughts will as always be interesting but maybe it might be a little behind the times.

Posted

The centre is situated over southampton currently, however this is further east than the recently progged 18Z GFS or the 12Z NAE.

The central pressure is rather elongated with Middle Wallop having a Southerly and Boscombe down a few miles away a northerly.

This would indicate a much tighter ark than the METO are thinking, the westward movement of the ark is associated with the SW movement of the low, if this doesn't happen as quickly as planned you will again have a much tighter ark.

This has still some surprises in it IMO, worth saying the the 18Z does give general precip for the south(inc dorset) for most of tomorrow.

The NAE thoughts will as always be interesting but maybe it might be a little behind the times.

So can i interpret that as a warning it may not affect us here in BTL and surrounding area as much as latest Beeb forecasts have been suggesting? Latest Beeb forecasts indicated the arc stretching from Oxford, thru' Cotswolds, Bristol, etc from Midnight to midday tom. Do you think this is now at risk?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Not wanting to annoy anyone but here is a shot of my back garden taken 30 minutes ago.

backgarden.jpg

seems to have gone a little misty since.

Posted

Just flaking in Clevedon at the moment, such a tease!

Edit: Oooh picking up!

Edited by TimMB

Posted

It's been snowing quite heavily 10 minutes up the road from me. dry.gif

I have an orangey sky, no stars, lots of cloud...but no bleedin' snow! grrrr

Ditto, nada, nothing, ziltch, zero......NOWT!

Edited by NickSomerset

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Nice one Tribe3000, I'm on Slad Road, town end and there has been a little melt here. I'm opposite Locking Hill, seen some well interesting car episodes (if you know the road)! Interesting potential here me thinks. Is a bit weird being on the South West thread (no offence the SW is my favourite bit of England!)- we are so far from say Penzance! Still, not a Midlander either!

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

TILT!!!!

IS IT? IS IT? PLEEAASSE TIILLTTT!!!!

Posted

I'll stick my neck out and say the NAE will play catch up now, with the heaviest precip staying east of where its forecasted for - not that areas will miss out, just less depth ..

My views are that the MetO quite possibly put too much weight on thier own model - that doesn't mean I disrespect certain members who post in here!

Hopefully I'll be wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Light snow here in the north end of Yatton. Knowing how close some of this stuff is, for all I know the other end could be completely dry. At least SOMETHING is falling! I was expecting the snow to have arrived at least an hour ago. The temperature continues to drop though which is promising. Now at -0.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I reckon this still could go t!ts up, lol. I really hope it is not ANOTHER dissapointment.

In all seriousness, I think after midnight is the best chance for people in Somerset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Popped out a min ago to have a look and was shocked! heavy snow and all previous foot prints and car tracks covered, about an inch now. Proper powder snow to, really dry not the usual wet slush we get!

A night of that would do me thanks! :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I'll stick my neck out and say the NAE will play catch up now, with the heaviest precip staying east of where its forecasted for - not that areas will miss out, just less depth ..

My views are that the MetO quite possibly put too much weight on thier own model - that doesn't mean I disrespect certain members who post in here!

Hopefully I'll be wrong!

here is some VERY heavy PPN heading north /NW at the moment.

This is due to merge with the airmass coming down the country in a SW direction.

As it hit, i would expect the PPN to increase again.

By no means is the flash warning unwarranted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

lot more development over Wales on radar

Is this the most likely band to come Glos way as the low moves?

Posted

Good post as per usual Iceberg.

Yes our hope is the GFS which wants to take this low SW. I have to say I am not sure if I go along with that evolution as to me it is more likely to move away SSE but it has been reasonably bullish about it and quite frankly I'll happily cling on to ANY hope right now! Shame the large swaythe of ppn would have gone by then but I'm happy scavenging for scraps :shok:

I await the NAO 18z with renewed interest