Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The usual dollop of misery for me here in London, as I said earlier in the week just a bit of snizzle here from this '1 in 50 year' load of garbage.

A few more wet flurrys for later and then mainly dry for a long time after that.

Yes I'm sure there will be snow for us showing for the next few days on the charts. . . there has been for the last 2 weeks!! :whistling:

Honestly, a 1 in 50 year event and the capital city is planted 30 miles away, if London (main London) can only muster up a bit of sleet from this setup then really I have to be absolutely gutted. . .

. . . and yes the world has ended.

Posted

Has anyone actually got anywhere near that 40cm bbc predicted?!

Half that here --just been out in my PJs and measured 19cm on the patio.

It's still snowing so hope to add at least another 5cm to that today. :whistling:

Posted

To be fair, 21 days consecutive lying snow here with at least another 7-10 days = 1 in 50 year event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The snow is only 30 miles to our N.

This band is already slowly showing signs of widening as suggested by the GFS. However if your expecting 20cm falls then your out of luck. During today and into the rest of this weekend its going to be a case of several 3-4cm falls constantly topping up our lying snow.

Yesterday proved that nowcasting is far more important than using the Met O warnings or the BBC white blobs. Im sorry but far too much attention is put on the BBC graphics when you should be concentrating on what is exactly happening.

Small top ups of 3-4cm's even into the weekend? That easterly this weekend is looking quite potent. There is a potential for more heavy snow from the north sea for a large part os SE England and East Anglia. Potential for all sorts of streamers to set up.

This afternoons snow in the SE will prob be a couple of cm's but this weekend could be a lot worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Been told to expect some more snow from the north for later on today in London. I cannot see any on the radar, where is this going to form and come from? Thanks!

Posted

Small top ups of 3-4cm's even into the weekend? That easterly this weekend is looking quite potent. There is a potential for more heavy snow from the north sea for a large part os SE England and East Anglia. Potential for all sorts of streamers to set up.

This afternoons snow in the SE will prob be a couple of cm's but this weekend could be a lot worse.

That would more than double what we've got here at the moment.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

OMG!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen sky news weather for sat - sunday?? , the whole of the south was under heavy snow from the south west to the south east !! :o :D

Posted

Phoned in to work and only one of the guys got through. Said there was one lane open on the M23 from Crawley and the other two were full of abandoned cars! I've got the day off as Burgess Hill has something like 3 or 4" and it's not going to get any better.

It is currently snowing in Eastbourne after a light covering at 8.30 last night. Not sure how much to expect today but its already had the desired effect as I can concentrate on the snow without the distraction of too much work!

We got over 4 in in burgess hill! and snowing heavy

Posted

Just being cautious.

You are right though and in this type of set up 25cm of snow can easily fall if you lie within a heavy streamer. If anything over the next few days it will be even more important to follow the radar than the BBC forecasts.

By the way im expecting this band of snow over Norfolk, Cambs to intensify during today as it moves S. I reckon some parts could see around 10cm.

Posted

The usual dollop of misery for me here in London, as I said earlier in the week just a bit of snizzle here from this '1 in 50 year' load of garbage.

A few more wet flurrys for later and then mainly dry for a long time after that.

Yes I'm sure there will be snow for us showing for the next few days on the charts. . . there has been for the last 2 weeks!! :o

Honestly, a 1 in 50 year event and the capital city is planted 30 miles away, if London (main London) can only muster up a bit of sleet from this setup then really I have to be absolutely gutted. . .

. . . and yes the world has ended.

where in London are you? If you're in the centre then I wouldn't be surprised at having no lying snow, but I think the suburbs have done quite well considering nothing was forecast on Monday night for here. In NE London we have about 2-3cm's and west London probably has more. It's all settled and it's only been snow so far. Don't forget, we missed the heaviest snow last night, but in feb we got a huge dumping when many other areas missed out.

Posted

Didn't expect so many people on. :o

Thought I'd pop on before work. Just watched the BBC News & been looking at some charts.

Looking forward to the bit of snow we're meant to get later today. And then the Easterly that's set to bring us more.

Posted

I think a lot of Norfolk will do quite well in the next few days but can see it being a bit hit and miss here again. As to the weekend I supose that will dissapear, as there was talk that this area would get a pasting tomorrow on here, that has changed .......

Posted

Just being cautious.

You are right though and in this type of set up 25cm of snow can easily fall if you lie within a heavy streamer. If anything over the next few days it will be even more important to follow the radar than the BBC forecasts.

By the way im expecting this band of snow over Norfolk, Cambs to intensify during today as it moves S. I reckon some parts could see around 10cm.

I agree with that amount - last Feb when there was a Thames streamer going, it had 3 streams almost, one over central London, one to the south and one to the north. We got more than 15cm/6 inches from that almost unexpected.

Posted

As I suspected yesterday and well forecast by the Meto this one I have to say, my Jackpot zones were M3 Coridoor and M25/Surrey near to the South Downs, also chose Basingstoke so happy with that.

My fears that Wednesdays Snow will be a damp squib looks to be proving right IMBY, Although places further towards Teits or down in Kent, Sussex may get a surprise with more than they expected for today.

Tomorrow sees Sunshine and Showers and also Friday.

Sat & Sun still T72-T96

Got about 0.000023cm so happy the kids can see some snow but then was never expecting much from it anyway

Paul S

Posted

Just being cautious.

No you're right to be cautious. It's only a potential at the moment. Don't want to get our hopes up only to be disappointed.

Posted

We got over 4 in in burgess hill! and snowing heavy

Thanks JJ, I guess it isn't going to get any better and TBH, I'd rather be stuck here at home in Eastbourne than in our cold factory!

Although places further towards Teits or down in Kent, Sussex may get a surprise with more than they expected for today.

Hope your hunch is right Paul! NW radar not showing a lot coming in to us at present, but we have all of the day left and still potential for another two or three days at least.

Posted

Thanks JJ, I guess it isn't going to get any better and TBH, I'd rather be stuck here at home in Eastbourne than in our cold factory!

Hope your hunch is right Paul! NW radar not showing a lot coming in to us at present, but we have all of the day left and still potential for another two or three days at least.

Don't blame you, too risky!

Posted

I think a lot of Norfolk will do quite well in the next few days but can see it being a bit hit and miss here again. As to the weekend I supose that will dissapear, as there was talk that this area would get a pasting tomorrow on here, that has changed .......

If it was a direct E,ly flow then I would agree. However the models indicate a strong ENE,ly which will benefit our region. This means the snow showers have less land to travel and the normal entrance of the snow showers is around Hunstanton.

If Peterborough doesn't see snow from a ENE,ly with upper temps of -12C then I shall give up.

Posted

As I suspected yesterday and well forecast by the Meto this one I have to say, my Jackpot zones were M3 Coridoor and M25/Surrey near to the South Downs, also chose Basingstoke so happy with that.

Thanks Paul

... not wishing to be greedy but can you pull Basingstoke out of the hat again for a top-up in a few days time.

19cm at the mo and snowing moderately

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Is is not typical, that just as one is preparing to go to work, it begins to snow, bearing in mind there was not a flake overnight. Not a lot admittedly maybe 1cm here in last 40 mins.

So the question is do you struggle in, knowing what may come later in the day, meaning probably a struggle home in a few hours.

This is what I call stupid snow. Enough to keep a snow lover interested, but not enough to make the "Go to work?" decision easy.

Stupid Snow.

(mini-rantette over)

Posted

If it was a direct E,ly flow then I would agree. However the models indicate a strong ENE,ly which will benefit our region. This means the snow showers have less land to travel and the normal entrance of the snow showers is around Hunstanton.

If Peterborough doesn't see snow from a ENE,ly with upper temps of -12C then I shall give up.

Some nice showers now beefing around the wash, must have your name on them soon.

Typical northants, we are in the middle of 2 snow bands north and south of us .rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have around 6cm near the centre of Tunbridge Wells, been on the edge of the heavier snow to the W for much of the night. Snowing lightly now on the edge. Current temp -0.6°C.

Front dropping S across E Anglia from the N Sea this afternoon should bring further snow across the SE this afternoon, with some intensification as it arrives in the SE, not clearing until the early hours.