Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

James,

As you say that Thames streamer looks a beauty feeding in those heavy snow showers to Kent and essex areas and merging with the system to the south, this could have the potential to produce an awful lot of snow.

Looks as though we had a fair dusting overnight, but I think continuous snowfall for this part of the country. Brave souls venturing out in their vehicles could face a very difficult drive home as that is when the snow looks likely to intensify.....?

Indeed I think the potential from the band is being underplayed. Its not just the fact that its expanding and intensifying but also the fact that its not going to go anywhere fast. My educated guess is that during daylight places in Essex will get a good fall, then as the evening wears on Kent could have some good totals too.

Combine that with dropping temps, dew points, 850's and increasing wind, these is potential for drifting too.

Then following on bitter temps under clearing skies, tomorrow will be an interesting trip to work for many.

James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

What about east Herts , lots of Essex and Kent mentioned but nothing for East Herts .... boo hoo

Posted

We've got about 5 inches here in Horsham. Not even going to try getting to work (even though my office is only a 10 minute drive away, the joys of the internet mean I can work from home!). Currently snowing lightly, temp at 0.3 C

Posted

Getting a bit fed up with people moaning about having "just a bit" of snow. Okay so moaning once is perhaps fine, but there are several posters who seem to think they need to keep telling us. It is the same posters who then seem to think they need to dismiss this cold spell because they have not been impacted.

Here in Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, we have about 5-6 cm's, it is also currently snowing moderately at the moment and has been for about 1 hour.

Last night it could be said we missed the main line of snow that was just to our west as it pushed up from SW, but as the band pivoted, we seemed to get lucky by having a band of heavier snow around midnight-1am, which I think affected also places like Waltham Abbey, Chigwell and such like. At the time, there seemed to be a decent Eastely wind blowing at least that is what the weather station reported nearby, temps and dew points were good, so we benefited from a reasonable setup, whereas even some places to our west did not.

Guys/Girls if you did not get snow, don't get to downbeat, it all just seems set for many of us to get some more and with weather, it often rewards those, when they might not expect it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Are people taking these measurements on grass because there's not 6 inches of snow in this bit of Milton Keynes. cc_confused.gif

No the bin lid (see picture)

I'm over on the East side and very open, only got a park in front of me and allotments behind so maybe that is why I have more.

I will put some pictures on in a moment !

post-10773-12627667027352_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

What about east Herts , lots of Essex and Kent mentioned but nothing for East Herts .... boo hoo

Is it still snowing there? It is here and I wondetr if it will just keep going....plus that action in Colchester might make its way down here to join in the fun. Here's hoping :yahoo:

Posted

I would add to the above by saying from looking at the NW Radar for my location, it looks like we are about to have some heavier snow, although possibly it might go south of here to places like Harlow, Broxbourne etc.

Posted

If you've not got it now mate then I'm not sure what's going on, because here it's pelting it down with enormous flakes!

Posted

I'm excited for this afternoon and tonight here in the South East... let alone the rest of the week.

Posted

Currently just under 8" and still falling. Just looked at the met warnings and they are predicting another 5-25cm for my area from 18.00 - 23.59

Looking at the shape of the low its really getting feed now by the thames, i can see this being a record event for some.

Posted

Concerned about that band over Colchester - looks like shifting south *SLOWLY* and affecting Clacton soon, what with the band coming down from the north it may be a fun drive home. Wondering whether it was a wise move to travel today...

Hi ya, we now have a sprinkling around Clacton yahoo.gif

- only slight but covering quite quickly. Schools are shut, typical first day back!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Don't be disappointed as the second wave as I call it will add to your 4cm. Don't forget the rest of the week into the weekend where there's even more snow to add to today's snowfall.

By the way, it is snowing here right now.

Ah yes, snowing here too now just in time for my cycle to work. Seem to be inbetween the 2 bands at the moment but from what I understand, the northery arm will go south during the day. Here's hoping for a few cm more :yahoo:

Posted

Seriously, how lucky has Basingstoke been this winter? A massive dump last month, an probably an even bigger one last night! Lucky sods! ;-)

Yes .. very very lucky :clap::D

Trouble is that must be our lot for the next 20yrs ---can't see that we can get more.. that'd be greedy!

It's snowing fairly heavily at the moment! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

This is the view out the front of my house this morning. Just cleared a path to the front door and its started to snow quite heavily again since I came back inside.

Anyone know how much more we can expect here today ?

p.s. the white bit on the picture between my front garden and the park is the road by the way (we don't get any gritters round here)

post-10773-12627670232552_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

White !

In a world of constant change its nice to know somethings never change,and cold to the touch too :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Further snow during the weekend. Does look like Sunday will be a day of moderate snow

Morning yamkin are we in for a period of moderate snow this morning before the band from the north thanks in advance radar don't work properly on my phone

Posted

No the bin lid (see picture)

I'm over on the East side and very open, only got a park in front of me and allotments behind so maybe that is why I have more.

I will put some pictures on in a moment !

Stick it in the middle of the bin lid, through the snow.

I'm in Haversham, high up and very open, fields back and front.

Edited by lizzieloo202

Posted

No sign of heavier snow stopping, larger flakes as well now......

looks like we are going to get a nice flow from the East now to top up what we have allready ,5 cm here and still snowing

Posted

Hi mate, looks good fos us in the next 3 hours or so. Could give 5-10cm! How much you got currently? I got around 2-3 inches.

Yeah it does! And then there is the front coming from the north later! We have around 3 inches here.......

Posted

That band of snow is just to my north, its not moving anywhere right now so could see some decent amounts in Essex this morning....still that looks somewhat like a streamer its got to be said and that zone of instablity should continue steadily to extend south as the trough comes down and everything is shunted south.

Soooo close to that stalled system though!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Kold we are right in the middle of the north part and the south :rofl::rolleyes: