Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I'm sure it did show a hint of snow, but the PPN rate (in shaded of white/grey) can be tricky to show on the graphics; i.e. trying to highlight more bothersome snow versus the generally light falls we expect here.

It's too easy for us to overdo the graphics and suggest whiteout conditions (and subsequently face further allegations from the S Glos person of ramping smile.gif )

However, we've yet to see the next NAE so I'm not eager to get cornered on the potential for some districts.... yet.

That clears it up, I guess it is pretty tricky to show light snow on graphics, but he could say it?

Maybe the Beeb should go back to the old school graphics? :blush:

Tuesday definately suggested whiteout for Devon....one big white blob

Posted

I'm sure it did show a hint of snow, but the PPN rate (in shaded of white/grey) can be tricky to show on the graphics; i.e. trying to highlight more bothersome snow versus the generally light falls we expect here.

It's too easy for us to overdo the graphics and suggest whiteout conditions (and subsequently face further allegations from the S Glos person of ramping smile.gif )

However, we've yet to see the next NAE so I'm not eager to get cornered on the potential for some districts.... yet.

.....yet...... ohh i love the anticipation (ohh and the precipitation too..)

Posted

Thanks Ian.

So do the News24 forecasts not get updated very quickly with these charts? I ask because Dan's forecast at 18:28 was not as 'bullish' as the one an hour earlier. Sorry to be a pain, but just a tad confused.

EDIT: Just looking at the radar snow seems to be developing over the Midlands at present and is actually increasing in size of area - could this be heading south west in next few hours?

Because it's expected to be light snow and Dan's forecast would have employed the later NAE run, which indeed offer a more patchy, itty-bitty affair (see last graphics I posted and bear in mind it is suggestive of light(ish) snow for the most part.... nothing like earlier in the week, I stress!!)..... I also stress again that the radar will tend to under-represent the falling snow so we need to await ground truth from the next set of station obs.

Posted

Thanks Ian for your updates. Always appreciated.

I'm going to log back in later tonite, otherwise i risk getting earache from a very reliable source!biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Dartmoor_Matt SomersetNick and Butler_son didn't realise my earlier mention of a steak and chips would bring about the first ever cooking thread on NW :blush:

Posted

Tuesday look's interesting,will the warmth win the battle against the cold..

If not maybe lot's of snow :rolleyes:

Here's the Tuesday battle I posted earlier:

post-9454-12630638279842_thumb.jpg

Edited by NickSomerset

Posted

Dartmoor_Matt SomersetNick and Butler_son didn't realise my earlier mention of a steak and chips would bring about the first ever cooking thread on NW drinks.gif

We like to cover all bases on this thread... makes it a happy place! :rolleyes:drinks.gif

Posted

Still dont know if to get put back on call for tomorrow night ... I booked the night as i didnt want to be driving around again in snow and ice on top of what we have.. Now it looks if North devon ect is going to escape the worst. might give the hospital a ring to put me bk on call as i will get into trouble..

Temps down to -3 and its cloudy... cor do u remember the old days when cloud cover ment no frost or ice :rolleyes:

thanks Ian for your imputt.

kaz x

Posted

Dartmoor_Matt SomersetNick and Butler_son didn't realise my earlier mention of a steak and chips would bring about the first ever cooking thread on NW :rolleyes:

You know, I was thinking about steak and chips for tonight myself! Shame we haven't got enough room in the freezer to keep chips and peas though. Making to do with a nice Creamy Mushroom Chicken Tonight sauce to go with, er, chicken.

And there's already a cooking thread! You'll have to look for it, called Cooking With Attitude, was in the Lounge Section.

Oh and it's snowing lightly here. In Nottingham. I'm only here because I miss the South West when I'm up here at uni. :yahoo:

Posted

dogs32 if u watch sky weather u ll know it ll be snow

my eye's to be honest are on next week.

I need to get back to work really and its looking doubtful at present,longest xmas holiday I have ever had

edit

cheers Nick for pic

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Still dont know if to get put back on call for tomorrow night ... I booked the night as i didnt want to be driving around again in snow and ice on top of what we have.. Now it looks if North devon ect is going to escape the worst. might give the hospital a ring to put me bk on call as i will get into trouble..

Temps down to -3 and its cloudy... cor do u remember the old days when cloud cover ment no frost or ice rofl.gif

thanks Ian for your imputt.

kaz x

Yeah! Haven't heard the term "cloudy this evening which will keep the temperatures up with no frost forming" for ages. Must be the new even larger teapot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

And there's already a cooking thread! You'll have to look for it, called Cooking With Attitude, was in the Lounge Section.

Missed that one

Posted

You know, I was thinking about steak and chips for tonight myself! Shame we haven't got enough room in the freezer to keep chips and peas though. Making to do with a nice Creamy Mushroom Chicken Tonight sauce to go with, er, chicken.

Oh and it's snowing lightly here. In Nottingham. I'm only here because I miss the South West when I'm up here at uni. :rolleyes:

I've got the essential Pot Noodles in for the late nite radar watching, nothing like a pot noodle in the early hours...mmmm

Posted

I cant see that alantic low coming that far north id rather it didn't so that the cold weather can carry on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I cant see that alantic low coming that far north id rather it didn't so that the cold weather can carry on.

Same here.

Posted

Same here.

I have had the impression that many thought it was going to,BUT I also have heard many say it wont..

I think this is very difficult to call at present,but need's to be watched

Posted

Missed that one

I just had a look for it now, can't find it! Might have to get a mod to drag it back up if we talk about cooking in banter enough again... :unknw:

I've got the essential Pot Noodles in for the late nite radar watching, nothing like a pot noodle in the early hours...mmmm

:doh:

I may be a student, but I also have standards!!!

Posted

Well, the last GM into Wednesday tells everything you need to know about how critical the snow/sleet/rain discrimination will eventually prove across the SW. And at finer resolution - when we get it - I have no doubt the modelling will still offer a forecasting nightmare (even assuming any continuity in the GM compared to this version, let alone when the NAE gets to grips with this.....)

post-8233-12630646384342_thumb.jpg

Posted

Pot Noodles! Evil.

As for the weather... darn cold out there! (No change there then) :)

So Ian, should I give up on getting to the office this week? I did say I would make an appearance at least once whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Does that GM correlate with the precipitation intensity colours like the NAE? All the ppt. looks blue - would that indicate light ppt. or is the intensity shown by the size of the icons?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

wow,Stunning chart,If I have the symbol's correct we are looking at light snow and heavy snow...

x's mean light snow?

No, They mean buried treasure.