Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Its kind of backing up the channel as it goes. Showers over Bideford on the radar coming out of nowhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

:cold: AJ..Trust me to say the wrong thing..lol

Lian,

500+ schools closed IF I remember correctly in GLOS..

edit .. IM still laughing AJ

I will be busking at this rate with the lack of wages

On a side note, I was thinking about busking as well.....Birmingham city centre strumming those Yngwie Malmsteen classics...unfortuntley I know my guitar limits, so 'smoke on the water' it is then...all together now...'da-da-daaaah...da-da-dadaaaah....da-da-daaaah, da-da'......that'll make me a least £1.... :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Tbh, im not sure where all this is gonna come from.

The stuff over the SE is moving SWWerly.

The 750hpa shows this.

its not until you reach 500/300hpa that it swings things north.

However considering these showers are following a 750 800 hpa track.

Glos is completely empty of showers later.

im still confused as to where sunday / mondays stuff will come from.

It shows on teh charts, but its not giving much detail as to why.

Posted

lol..Slowly getting there...

The out of routine I dont like,Its like a fridge in my studio.

To cold to play like Malmsteen :cold: fingers to cold..

Far to dangerous for people to arrive here...

Road's like Ice ring's around estate,

thx for the update SK :cold:

edit lol....DP..was my first ever riff...Smoke on ect...

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Well they are very good here thanks! drinks.gifrofl.gif

They could have been better to be honest, they had a fresh dusting the night before i arrived so conditions on piste were ok and because it was like -10 or colder day and night they had all the snow cannons going 24 hours a day but slightly off piste it was bad.

I went bombing it over one of my favourite reds and then took a ramp off piste only to hit a root and well i have a very purple knee lucky for me though I did have a sports brace on which took out the worst of the hit and probably saved me from a broken knee shok.gif

current temp -3.7 with patchy cloud.

Thats lucky!

Yup, pretty good around here as well, just one downside. No ski lifts! dry.gif

I'm off to Nepal in November... ski down Annapurna 1? nonono.gif

-4.3C here and falling.

Max today was -2.9C

Met Office still got warnings out for Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday for heavy snow.

Not got any here yet, although the clouds have been steadily building, absolutely bitter in the wind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

laugh.gif AJ..Trust me to say the wrong thing..lol

Lian,

500+ schools closed IF I remember correctly in GLOS..

edit .. IM still laughing AJ

I will be busking at this rate with the lack of wages

Totally empathise dogs, I do landscaping, fencing and garden maintenance for a living! I want another week or more snow, but my finances are somewhat drying up... Maybe I should by a more powerful leaf blower and clear snow for people....

Posted

Tbh, im not sure where all this is gonna come from.

The stuff over the SE is moving SWWerly.

The 750hpa shows this.

its not until you reach 500/300hpa that it swings things north.

However considering these showers are following a 750 800 hpa track.

Glos is completely empty of showers later.

im still confused as to where sunday / mondays stuff will come from.

It shows on teh charts, but its not giving much detail as to why.

LP starts ridging NEwards later on

Probably start to push snow towards here later evening towards midnight

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

lol..Slowly getting there...

The out of routine I dont like,Its like a fridge in my studio.

To cold to play like Malmsteen :cold: fingers to cold..

Far to dangerous for people to arrive here...

Road's like Ice ring's around estate,

thx for the update SK :cold:

edit lol....DP..was my first ever riff...Smoke on ect...

A classic....vicky's banned me from switching the amp on when I've had a few, she still thinks that I sound like a cat being neutered!...lol.....Anyhoos, I'll stop spamming your thread, and carry on spamming my own thread...lol

Posted

Totally empathise dogs, I do landscaping, fencing and garden maintenance for a living! I want another week or more snow, but my finances are somewhat drying up... Maybe I should by a more powerful leaf blower and clear snow for people....

this will make you laugh in the hard time's

there are job's going..

Im considering doing this if it carries on.. :lol:

A Snow Blower not a leaf blower..lol

edit sorry I must get back on topic,,,your start me off in one of my laughing moods..

lol AJ...screaming cat..lol

post-3696-12630540627042_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogs32

Posted

LP starts ridging NEwards later on

Probably start to push snow towards here later evening towards midnight

SK

Am i looking in the wrong places today?

I though this was meant to be an upper occluded front?

I dont see any LOWs trying to touch teh uk until at least wednesday when we will get rain.

PPVG89.png

Posted

Just climed over fence from Lord Lucan style South central forum,im a landscaper too and its starting to look a bit bleak,seems via the other threads that snow is creeping very slowly this way ie Kent then Sussex now Surrey so who knows,yet another ice day here,not that windy yet

Posted

:lol: at Pat...That is without doubt the funniest thing I've ever seen.....Scuse me whilst I clean spat out beer of my monitor.....lol

Posted

Am i looking in the wrong places today?

I though this was meant to be an upper occluded front?

I dont see any LOWs trying to touch teh uk until at least wednesday when we will get rain.

PPVG89.png

It's the warm front thats supposed to bring the snow from France

Posted

I think AJ as time's change you have to go with the flow,So if that's what I got to do to earn a bean,Then so be it..lol

Met Office where justifying themselves on TV,I personally think they have been fairly good with this cold Spell.

Said they have hundred's of letter's of thx and support.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Now I know I never watch ITV weather, but, just caught the local going for snow tomorrow, a bit on Monday, "heavy and drifting over the moors" on Tuesday and snow showers on Wednesday. This implies the breakdown is beaten back by the cold to me.

Haven't seen a local BBC one today.

Posted
Posted

Lynxus

LP is ridging out of france - not moving out of france. It brings with it the upper warm front (I could be wrong but to my knowledge theres no such thing as an upper occlusion because upper fronts are merely markers of warmer/colder air aloft?)

I think chances are it may develop into a surface occlusion later on sunday <_<

And A27 - http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

SK

Posted

Now I know I never watch ITV weather, but, just caught the local going for snow tomorrow, a bit on Monday, "heavy and drifting over the moors" on Tuesday and snow showers on Wednesday. This implies the breakdown is beaten back by the cold to me.

Haven't seen a local BBC one today.

Its worth watching the 6.55pm BBC N24 with Dan Corbett.

For the first time today the forecaster wouldnt go past the afternoon.

So I think they are wondering what to say,all other forecaster's have gone throughout Sunday..

shortly on N24

Lucy @ Sky...STILL NOT changing...Infact she is going for 7.00am...snow lots of places

upgrade

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Lynxus

LP is ridging out of france - not moving out of france. It brings with it the upper warm front (I could be wrong but to my knowledge theres no such thing as an upper occlusion because upper fronts are merely markers of warmer/colder air aloft?)

I think chances are it may develop into a surface occlusion later on sunday :yahoo:

And A27 - http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

SK

TY, your probably right.

Im more than likely looking for something that just isnt there.

To me this sounds and looks like a VERY weak system.

However next week, we see ( from what i can tell ) 3 LP's attempting to move in.

The first seems to get pushed away quickly. the second seems to hold tight then move south and then the 3rd looks like it makes its way quite far inland.

However with ground temps and the "warm" air not being exactly warm.

I would be surprised if it causes any rain further inland.

Also, with such a large system moving east over cold air, i would expect a fair bit of inland convection due to the air being squeezed so much.

Ground temps will still be very low and in valleys, I would also expect this to hold on longer without any low level mixing .

However i suppose if the low comes in on the wrong direction it could undercut the cold air and create a cold-warm-cold layer with freezing rain.

Just my thoughts from Tues onwards.

It looks like the east may winout anyway afterwards keeping us in the cold. and the jet appears to break down during this also then moving south again..

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Funny you should say that, just been on Météo France, who say that parts of the Cotentin Peninsula (the bit of France that's getting hit before the Channel Islands) will have up to 40cm of snow lying combined with the falls of previous days! Here it is, if anyone wants: http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Bulletin?ZONE=dept50

Will be interesting what he has to say! :yahoo:

Afternoon all...if that 40cm report is correct, that is amazing :shok: The snow showers this afternoon here in Jersey have become more scattered and generally lighter as the streamer in question that just keeps on streaming over the Cotentin Peninsula has slipped back to our South East. I can see the edge of the streamer from my bedroom window as we speak...a beautiful site indeed and one that produced a large funnel early yesterday afternoon. The temperature at Jersey Airport is currently 1.6c but has been fluctuating between 0 and 2 for most of the day. When the showers come in, we experience a sharp fall in temp. Most of our main roads are now passable following our deluge earlier today but minor roads remain treacherous. Still no official word yet on how much fell - what I can so though is it was nowhere near the 40cm's some areas of NW France may have experienced. The local Met Office are predicting more heavier falls tonight and a period of more general heavy and prolonged snow, so what we wake up to tomorrow morning could be potentially very interesting. Pictures soon :yahoo:

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

TY, your probably right.

Im more than likely looking for something that just isnt there.

To me this sounds and looks like a VERY weak system.

However next week, we see ( from what i can tell ) 3 LP's attempting to move in.

The first seems to get pushed away quickly. the second seems to hold tight then move south and then the 3rd looks like it makes its way quite far inland.

However with ground temps and the "warm" air not being exactly warm.

I would be surprised if it causes any rain further inland.

Also, with such a large system moving east over cold air, i would expect a fair bit of inland convection due to the air being squeezed so much.

Ground temps will still be very low and in valleys, I would also expect this to hold on longer without any low level mixing .

However i suppose if the low comes in on the wrong direction it could undercut the cold air and create a cold-warm-cold layer with freezing rain.

Just my thoughts from Tues onwards.

It looks like the east may winout anyway afterwards keeping us in the cold. and the jet appears to break down during this also then moving south again..

We see two things next week

1) Tighter Flow

2) Drier flow and eventually a renewed cold pool developing over the UK

Those are two things which will lead to more widespread precipitation spreading well inland. As for the atlantic it all depends on the angle of attack, but certainly looking like some potentially big snowfalls for ireland, wales and SW england....just bordering into the west midlands

If we also bear in mind we are really looking at a very shallow area of the troposphere - probably 850mb and below, it suggests that yes precipitation may be lighter initially (until convection kicks in) but the cold pool at the surface should remain largely unaffected away from coastal areas

SK