Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

12Z gfs for cirencester (imby I know) - gives a good indication of how gfs is handling european boundary temps imo

sunday 1pm 850temp -9c 2Mtemp 0c

monday 1pm 850temp -6c 2Mtemp 0c

tuesday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp 0c

wednesday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp -2c

thursday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp 0c

friday 1pm 850temp -2c 2Mtemp -1

shows any flow with a remotely south east component will be darn cold ... although this run is favourable for lp tracks. I wonder what precip type will fall with uppers of 0c .. snow, snow pellets, or supercooled rain ?

sam

Posted

Now I know I never watch ITV weather, but, just caught the local going for snow tomorrow, a bit on Monday, "heavy and drifting over the moors" on Tuesday and snow showers on Wednesday. This implies the breakdown is beaten back by the cold to me.

Haven't seen a local BBC one today.

OMG you always telll me off when i watch ITV weather :) tut

:)

Posted

Just been out get some supplies in before the south west gets hit hard later tonight.Sky weather saying snow for the next 3 days.It also shows slightly warmer air trying to get in by wednesday.But dosent look like its going to affect are area with temps max at 1c on wednesday with the far sw temps up to 5/6 c

Posted

Afternoon all...if that 40cm report is correct, that is amazing :) The snow showers this afternoon here in Jersey have become more scattered and generally lighter as the streamer in question that just keeps on streaming over the Cotentin Peninsula has slipped back to our South East. I can see the edge of the streamer from my bedroom window as we speak...a beautiful site indeed and one that produced a large funnel early yesterday afternoon. The temperature at Jersey Airport is currently 1.6c but has been fluctuating between 0 and 2 for most of the day. When the showers come in, we experience a sharp fall in temp. Most of our main roads are now passable following our deluge earlier today (still no official word yet of how much fell) but minor roads remain treacherous. The local Met Office are predicting more heavier falls tonight and a period of more general heavy and prolonged snow, so what we wake up to tomorrow morning could be potentially very interesting. Pictures soon :)

If you're interested, I've done a little more digging and found this news story, presumably from yesterday: http://lci.tf1.fr/france/faits-divers/bloques-six-heures-dans-le-froid-alerte-maintenue-sur-31-departements-5630542.html

They're reporting from the département being hit by the streamer! I'll keep updates coming in the Cold Spell Discussion Thread about the English Channel Streamer and the updates from France.

Posted

12Z gfs for cirencester (imby I know) - gives a good indication of how gfs is handling european boundary temps imo

sunday 1pm 850temp -9c 2Mtemp 0c

monday 1pm 850temp -6c 2Mtemp 0c

tuesday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp 0c

wednesday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp -2c

thursday 1pm 850temp -0c 2Mtemp 0c

friday 1pm 850temp -2c 2Mtemp -1

shows any flow with a remotely south east component will be darn cold ... although this run is favourable for lp tracks. I wonder what precip type will fall with uppers of 0c .. snow, snow pellets, or supercooled rain ?

sam

Thanks for that sam

A question I indeed posed to the experts but had no answer on im afraid - i'd guess on the 0c margin probably frozen rain or sleet most likely with the air just below the 850mB layer (probs from about 870mB) still sub zero for much of the week - above 0c i'd say frozen rain most likely

SK

Posted

Anyone else just watch the BBC24 Forecast? Looks like the whole of the south is going to get some.. into monday and even tuesday!?

Posted

major upgrade on latest bbc24 wow ........................

tell me about it..

major snow for devon I would say now,,,,,,forgett about the warmth.

cold going to win

Posted

major upgrade on latest bbc24 wow ........................

IS it looking good for bristol now.

Posted

Yep that was a good BBC forecast, lots of snow Sunday, Monday, for the SW, and then massive snow on Tuesday, His parting comment that In his opinion the cold will win is interesting, particularly in light of the 12Z GFS, which still has snow across the whole country come next Saturday.

Posted

I new Dan Corbett was up to something...he didnt go any further earlier

this is HEAVY stuff as well from the SW..

SKY and BBC on the same track now..

Snow later tonight early hrs

this is getting nasty..or it will do

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

But will it snow in cardiff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

If you're interested, I've done a little more digging and found this news story, presumably from yesterday: http://lci.tf1.fr/france/faits-divers/bloques-six-heures-dans-le-froid-alerte-maintenue-sur-31-departements-5630542.html

They're reporting from the département being hit by the streamer! I'll keep updates coming in the Cold Spell Discussion Thread about the English Channel Streamer and the updates from France.

Very interesting...cheers my friend...I wonder if our taster this morning was a sign of things to come for us over the next 12 - 24 hours? B)

Posted

A wneith fwrw eira yn Nyffryn Aman?

Will it snow in the Amman Valley B)

Just kidding,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Happy days, I was concerned I might have missed out not being in the country. cool.gif

Lets not go mad over one forecast though it could backtrack the other way as it has done in the past.good.gif

Damn it is chilly outside -4.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

yer its like being in space...