Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

well its snowing lightly here but deffo not sleet! slight thaw in places but only obvious with getting used to 5days of no thaw at all!

Posted

There is a very slow thaw going on here. Looking at http://www.johnsmeaton.leeds.sch.uk/weather.php which is close to me, the temp is 2.7ºc but unsure of the DP.

This weather station at Thorner currently has the DP at -0.6

http://www.brighter-later.net/

Posted

well its snowing lightly here but deffo not sleet! slight thaw in places but only obvious with getting used to 5days of no thaw at all!

its tryin its hardest to snow here but hardly any falling just afew flakes evey so often

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Wait until the precipitation hit's, your dew point will shoot up.

Already happened, dew point at 0.6C, still expect snow tonight, but hopefully dew piont will drop in this shower.

Posted

Here in Rotherham, S Yorks, the 8" - 10" of snow we had on Tuesday has nearly all gone, most of it has melted away this morning. Temp is currently 41' outside, no wonder its thawing fast!

8-10 inches of snow does NOT go that quickly so can we have a realistic report please?

do you mean 8-10cm as even that will not have 'nearly all gone' as you post.

Posters reporting things as they are not in some knee jerk reaction is what is needed please.

I make no apology for being harsh-realistic reports please everyone.

Posted

8-10 inches of snow does NOT go that quickly so can we have a realistic report please?

do you mean 8-10cm as even that will not have 'nearly all gone' as you post.

Posters reporting things as they are not in some knee jerk reaction is what is needed please.

I make no apology for being harsh-realistic reports please everyone.

i totally agree with you John! frustrating when people sometimes takes the left trouser leg giving posts like that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

BBC recently updated their video forecast,still calling for 5-10cm to fall around the spine of the country.Graphics showing it for a good 12 hours unless i am imagining it.

Posted

Yes no problem.

On my bench there was 8" of snow yesterday night (not CM, sorry Im still in imperial) this morning at 11am there was 2". Ive measured it! lost 6" over night, currently 43 degrees :whistling: still think there should be some light snow tongight.

All the icicles have gone now too :cold:

Edited by davey147

Posted

BBC recently updated their video forecast,still calling for 5-10cm to fall around the spine of the country.Graphics showing it for a good 12 hours unless i am imagining it.

i still can imagine it would happen! the light snow here doesnt look as wet as i thought it would look and everytime it tries to the snow the temp goes down fast!

Posted

There's a lot of moaning going on in other threads this morning :lol: It's obviously disappointing with the snow thawing and the temps rising, but it's been the best cold spell in a long while, with many places including me seeing a dumping of snow :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Dalton/Thrybergh - Rotherham - South Yorkshire. Check my profile for assistance with legal solutions, family support and academic solutions.
  • Weather Preferences: Live to see snow. Hate summer, LOVE winter
  • Location: Dalton/Thrybergh - Rotherham - South Yorkshire. Check my profile for assistance with legal solutions, family support and academic solutions.

Yes no problem.

On my bench there was 8" of snow yesterday night (not CM, sorry Im still in imperial) this morning at 11am there was 2". Ive measured it! lost 6" over night, currently 43 degrees :drinks: still think there should be some light snow tongight.

All the icicles have gone now too :lol:

I'm in Rotherham as well, and have been stuck in all week as the snow was so bad on my street, the car wouldn't move an inch. However, I have got up this morning, and although the road is still covered, it is now slushy. All the snow that was covering the roof of the car has gone, and the kids toys in the garden are clear. Last night, you couldn't even see the slide, it was just a white shape! Now its just a slide again.

I don't understand the sciene part to all this, I just know that the snow is disappearing slowly.

Posted

As Coast has asked is best not to get involved with what I call yah boo type posts, this centre said this or that centre said that.

As a retired professional forecaster I forecast as I assess from the models taking all manner of things into account with over 40 years experience in this.

As to my comment in the model thread I did look at it about 1 hour later and almost corrected it as I felt I'd overdone the comment. That said, I still feel, that with RELATIVELY cold air over the UK through much of this week that heavy snow COULD occur over the high ground although that is much less likely over low ground. I should have made that distinction on the model thread. The output from NAE yesterday did puzzle me-I felt it overdone but it had been quite good earlier in the week. The problem of course is that earlier in the week with such cold 850mb temperatures it was much easier. I've posted several times over the past few days that this week is a forecasters nightmare-it still is. The major thing to start with is the intensity of precip and that has always been a problem with any of the models. Slight precip with marginal other conditions and sleet or rain at low levels is the most likely. heavy and prolonged precip and that is likely to change to wet snow at low level. So get the precip intensity correct and its half the battle to a correct forecast. BUT its getting the precip intensity correct that is the difficult bit. I did post yesterdays that the 00z would show what this would be. The 2 models have done just that-its now likely to be slight over the next 12-24 hours for most parts-hence the lesser risk of snow for most areas other than hilly areas.

I hope that this answers the questions raised on this thread in the past hour or so. Please feel free to ask-criticise if you wish-I'll always do my best to give an honest answer.

Thanks John, you're honesty appreciated.

Still seems a bit odd that the latest warning is something of an upgrade, especially for the coastal areas where it seems more marginal.

As you say - a nightmare. Temp has peaked at 2.3 here and DP -2, so who knows?

Posted

There's a lot of moaning going on in other threads this morning :lol: It's obviously disappointing with the snow thawing and the temps rising, but it's been the best cold spell in a long while, with many places including me seeing a dumping of snow :drinks:

Although it's sad to see it go, I actually welcome the thaw this time around.

It may be fun, but the impact it has on business's is un-real. Now it's started to thaw, my business partner can come from Surrey tomorrow up here for the week.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Over summer we'd have all around under hot sunshine and us ,up here, under grey and drizzle.....all day.

I'm thinking I should expect the same today apart from drizzle being horizontal snow.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Here in Rotherham, S Yorks, the 8" - 10" of snow we had on Tuesday has nearly all gone, most of it has melted away this morning. BBC said we would get snow, so I guess we will get rain (I always go with the opposite, and 80% of time im right).

Temp is currently 41' outside, no wonder its thawing fast!

Dunno where you got 41F from. Here it's 34F and a slow thaw going on also snow again lightly. Must be a local hot spot very strange.

Posted

Temperature now 2C shok.gif Unbelievable considering the amount of cold air allready entrenched over the country and with uppers of around -7/-8hpa! Just goes to show, dont under estimate the power of the north sea in warming our land!

Hopefully the temperature should drop when the precipitation comes. Still very very little in the way of a thaw with only icicles dripping a little.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

There is a very minor thaw here in LS8 in that some of the icicles hanging from the outside of my window have now dropped off. DP according to www.brighter-later.net now dropped to -1.1 (thanks for posting that link) but temp up to 3.5C and rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the warnings have been downgraded by the met office the orange has gone folks.

Country file still going on about heavier snow tonight moving northwards. Can't see where they're getting that from unless something is forming over us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lost about 3cms overnight so well on the way to looking green again.

Posted

Temperature now 2C shok.gif Unbelievable considering the amount of cold air allready entrenched over the country and with uppers of around -7/-8hpa! Just goes to show, dont under estimate the power of the north sea in warming our land!

Hopefully the temperature should drop when the precipitation comes. Still very very little in the way of a thaw with only icicles dripping a little.

The temp has actually dropped here in the last hour or so, esp in any precipitation which has consisted of rain/drizzle to hail and wet snow.

Posted

Yes no problem.

On my bench there was 8" of snow yesterday night (not CM, sorry Im still in imperial) this morning at 11am there was 2". Ive measured it! lost 6" over night, currently 43 degrees sad.gif still think there should be some light snow tongight.

All the icicles have gone now too sad.gif

Don't see how it is 43 degrees (fahrenheit I'm presuming, so 6.1 celcius) ... I'm in Sheffield (albeit maybe a little higher) it is 1.0 with only a slight thaw.

Edited by Andy_Calafell_Sheffield

Posted

There's a lot of moaning going on in other threads this morning laugh.gif It's obviously disappointing with the snow thawing and the temps rising, but it's been the best cold spell in a long while, with many places including me seeing a dumping of snow drinks.gif

Great post smile.gif We have had one of the best cold spells in years, and it is not going anywhere fast! All the snow will not melt for inland areas. Temps of 2c is not going to melt 10cm to 20cm of snow in a matter of hours. I would expect most to have some snow cover, all bit a lot less, by the middle of the week. If it can freeze overnight then that will help it stick around. Of course half melted snow with a frozen top is no use to anyone. So even when it does melt during next week, i shall not be disappointed! We must also remember its Jan 10th. There is the rest of Jan and Feb for further snow falls! Also temps will not get above average, for most, for the foreseeable future. In fact if the ECM was to verify we may see a return of sunshine and wintry showers towards the start of next week (will change of course, but just shows what can happen) All in all the cold spell continues, just less cold!

post-6181-12631273057842_thumb.png

post-6181-12631273108842_thumb.png

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

The temp has actually dropped here in the last hour or so, esp in any precipitation which has consisted of rain/drizzle to hail and wet snow.

cool so theres still hope yet.

I think what wre experiencing is a nasty warm sector from the north sea

http://91.121.93.17/...cs/Rmgfs092.gif

Hopefully it will have done its worst by now. Interesting to see what precipitation I get when it comes in, probably wet snow.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike