Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

GMTV's forecasts aren't as good as the bbc imo, Even though the bbc have had it wrong at times too, This is definetly a downgrade and i say anybody below 200meters don't expect much at all, You will only be disappointed. Seems to me that there isn't quite as much precipitation as first progged. the rain first will damage existing snow cover then a few hours of wet snow that won't settle much. Its going to be cold wet and mucky.

Well best not get my hopes up this time then! hope things change for the better through the day though!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

It's now down to nowcasting and radar watching once again

SOOOOOOOOOOO Eyes Down - for a full house

OOOOOps wrong game

Radars at the ready - for the snow train!

Things still look pretty good for south east wales but may be a little more marginal otherwise - but we're not gonna totally know till this system is under way - the front looks in tact to my eyes so a good spread of precip

You should be fine on the basis of altitude, But people in Cardiff, Bridgend, Swansea, Portalbot, Llanelli, Barry etc who really are excited I personally wouldn't be. Granted its alot colder today and much windier atm snow hasnt thawed much but if rain comes first it will start to thaw the snow cover and then ruin things, I'de rather the cold days with sun because they didn't harm my snow cover at all this current damp misty affair has done what was 6 inches is now 4 inches, what was 4 inches is now about an inch and some roads that were unpassible yesterday are just slush today, Not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Boo Hiss

I have a bad feeling about this

Was hoping for that foot of snow

Reckon it will be wet stuff that will allow me to get to work on Wed

Posted

The end is nigh.

Lol ,looks like another downgrade,what a shambles.

My hopes have not been dashed as i didnt have any to start with.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well, bye bye baby ,bye bye baby, baby goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye.

Will see you all in the summer as we compete for who has the most rainfall.

Damn.

Posted

i think it will be as i said last night that many in s wales will be gutted as the temp will be to high for snow unless there is far more in them clouds than they think,who knows we may all have rain some may have snow,there may even be far more than they think as the other day we woke to more than they said and also just before xmas had a real down pour for 20 mins that gave good covering and there had been no mention at all.

my kids think someone is sticking someone sticking pins in wales lol

Posted

i think it will be as i said last night that many in s wales will be gutted as the temp will be to high for snow unless there is far more in them clouds than they think,who knows we may all have rain some may have snow,there may even be far more than they think as the other day we woke to more than they said and also just before xmas had a real down pour for 20 mins that gave good covering and there had been no mention at all.

my kids think someone is sticking someone sticking pins in wales lol

The radar looks intense in my view. So what I don't follow is why they now say there's not much moisture and that precipitation amounts will be lower?

Posted

Boo Hiss

I have a bad feeling about this

Was hoping for that foot of snow

Reckon it will be wet stuff that will allow me to get to work on Wed

along with me you are in one of the best positions for this snow

Posted

Morning all,

I personally am not expecting any snow here in Bridgend except rain, maybe a bit of wet snow mixed in but not amounting to even a dusting as it would have rained so much before hand.

Never expected a snowy end to the cold spell we have had. If it does snow then bonus but not expecting it to.

Due to past experiences when we are in the midst of change it rains.

Posted

The radar looks intense in my view. So what I don't follow is why they now say there's not much moisture and that precipitation amounts will be lower?

i dont get ay of it anyway lol but just think from what has happened for yrs this way that only nantymoel and further north will see any snow,below will probs be sleet or rain.what makes me laugh is though when they say we going to have 6 hrs of pouring rain they are bang on lol,they great at rain ok on sun but rubbish at snow lol,maybe it is much harder to forcast snow events i dont know but thats all iv heard is my kids and all their mates saying why say we aving it then we get nothing.

iv sent mine to school thinking there be no school tomor so look out later im in the you know what by the look of it.maybe there is loads of snow in the clouds and it will sit on top of us for 2 days, because if things change from good to bad maybe go from bad to good.(well hopfully)

Posted

The end is nigh.

Lol ,looks like another downgrade,what a shambles.

My hopes have not been dashed as i didnt have any to start with.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well, bye bye baby ,bye bye baby, baby goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye.

Will see you all in the summer as we compete for who has the most rainfall.

Damn.

winter's far from over yet - with the rest of january to come and probably our two best months for snow in the recent past to come yet (february + March), and after the low temps we've already had - any future cold will still be very cold compared to recent years with more chances of snow

I think part of this is to do with what happens to the frontal system when it comes up against the cold air and how it responds then - they are may be forecasting it to ease up on precip amounts because of that - I think it's a case of nowcasting now and watching the radar!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Apparent downgrade this morning? Is the low now too far west with bulk of precipitation/ energy hitting Ireland? Could that developing gap in the front have our name on it?

Carol on breakfast- "less snow than we thought"

Be interesting to see if MetO downgrade severe weather warning, as they did on Sunday.

Pretty much spot on! Once again it looks as though the Met have been guilty of over ramping these events so to cover their backs. They really are performing poorly lately....the NOGAPS of forecasting :unknw:

Posted

GMTV's forecasts aren't as good as the bbc imo, Even though the bbc have had it wrong at times too, This is definetly a downgrade and i say anybody below 200meters don't expect much at all, You will only be disappointed. Seems to me that there isn't quite as much precipitation as first progged. the rain first will damage existing snow cover then a few hours of wet snow that won't settle much. Its going to be cold wet and mucky.

Not a downgrade for Cardiff or SE Wales.

Posted

i dont get ay of it anyway lol but just think from what has happened for yrs this way that only nantymoel and further north will see any snow,below will probs be sleet or rain.what makes me laugh is though when they say we going to have 6 hrs of pouring rain they are bang on lol,they great at rain ok on sun but rubbish at snow lol,maybe it is much harder to forcast snow events i dont know but thats all iv heard is my kids and all their mates saying why say we aving it then we get nothing.

iv sent mine to school thinking there be no school tomor so look out later im in the you know what by the look of it.maybe there is loads of snow in the clouds and it will sit on top of us for 2 days, because if things change from good to bad maybe go from bad to good.(well hopfully)

I suppose this is what keeps us on the edge of our seats - will it, won't it - mmmm - well the weather is a big powerful part of the earth's systems and all we can do is try and forecast what might happen and then watch as it unfolds - surprises do happen and very often it's these sorts of events that surprises occur because the marginality of it is so close! Not over till the fat lady/gentleman sings and the bbqs are out!

Pretty much spot on! Once again it looks as though the Met have been guilty of over ramping these events so to cover their backs. They really are performing poorly lately....the NOGAPS of forecasting whistling.gif

Time for the director of the meto to get his marching orders then from his £190,000 over paid job (more than the prime minister)

Not a downgrade for Cardiff or SE Wales.

Come to the snow capital of Wales and enjoy the sking in downtown fairwater, Cardiff on our 100m slope he he he!!!!!!!!!!

What was that event two years ago? Feb 08 was it? March? Can't recall but snow wasn't expected then kicked off big time in the morning. I wonder if we could see a repeat?

These events do have a habit of being a reverse psychology type of thing - forecasters say one thing - once the event happens it turns out another way - all to play for still

Posted

I suppose this is what keeps us on the edge of our seats - will it, won't it - mmmm - well the weather is a big powerful part of the earth's systems and all we can do is try and forecast what might happen and then watch as it unfolds - surprises do happen and very often it's these sorts of events that surprises occur because the marginality of it is so close! Not over till the fat lady/gentleman sings and the bbqs are out!

Time for the director of the meto to get his marching orders then from his £190,000 over paid job (more than the prime minister)

Come to the snow capital of Wales and enjoy the sking in downtown fairwater, Cardiff on our 100m slope he he he!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, i can see where adam is coming from downgrade in SW but not SE.

Posted

These events do have a habit of being a reverse psychology type of thing - forecasters say one thing - once the event happens it turns out another way - all to play for still

I apologise sincerely to the board for having put winter clothing, blankets etc in my boot last night.

Posted

Precip looks pretty intense to me so far - and the cold winds are here as well - marry the two together and you get a BLIZZARD!

Posted

I believe it was fed/march 2008 on the thursday met office had light snow and then rain friday turned out as alot of snow thursday and friday for the valleys

Posted

I apologise sincerely to the board for having put winter clothing, blankets etc in my boot last night.

no probs mate - may be the impending snow didn't see you

I believe it was fed/march 2008 on the thursday met office had light snow and then rain friday turned out as alot of snow thursday and friday for the valleys

you have a fabulous memory!

While we are waiting for our blizzard to come why don't we think of song titles to help encourage it to be snow and heavy for all of Wales!

UMMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh the weather outside is frightful - but the fire is so delightful - if you've no place to go -

LET IT SNOW - LET IT SNOW - LET IT SNOW

I'm dreaming of a white tuesday

Where the snow lay round about (all over Wales)

Deep and crisp and even

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Morning All Carol on the BEEB said that we will not be having as much snow as they first thought this morning, When is this Snow due to hit south East Wales?

And how much are we gonna get now?

keep the faith I still think 20 cms + is very possible - where r u located?

large wadge of precip/snow piling in now on the meto radar - getting closer and closer - not far away from west wales - we will soon know the outcome snow/sleet/rain as the reports start coming in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Andy

I'm at Blaenavon at the top of the Eastern valley in Gwent

You should be OK for Snow. :drinks: