Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Seen a good link to satellite radar........

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Check it out if you dont have this in your toolbox already.......

Wow, that really does show the airmasses squeezing!

Posted

Wow, that really does show the airmasses squeezing!

The animation is pretty damn cool hey......

Posted

looks ok to me .

but models changing in detail all the time. who knows ....all to play for I suspect hence many keeping their thoughts to themselves at this point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Still looking good then :lol:

Not so sure I like that chart for wednesday but least it'll clear the snow away quicker and normality can return in time for getting the BBQ out at the weekend! drinks.gif

Posted

Well very little change on the NAE really, precip totals marginally up and no real change from the 12z as to distrubution so far (though everything a little more delayed)

I wonder what the guys down at exeter are going by at present, because the latest from Ian looks remarkably similar to 18z GFS

SK

Edit: First signs of it now coming onto the radar too

Edited by snowking

Posted

I'm not banking on snow this time around (had this been Feb with colder sea temps then maybe) but cannot help feeling things will return better still for us in a week or two. Best Dorset snow often in Feb or even March.

The best run - road down N face of Bulbarrow at night when the road is iced and not gritted - manic!!! (I'll probably kill myself there eventually) Not tried Hod , isn't it a bit bumpy?

I'm not either as you say it tends to be more towards February for us, one can hope though :lol: I'd love some decent snow, my eldest is 21 so she's seen some fairly decent stuff but the 15 was too young (in a buggy) and the 10 year old hasn't really seen more than a cm or so, would be nice for them.

Maniac for sure LOL, I did a rundown there on a motorbike when it was very icy, many years ago and it was scary as hell! on a sledge though hmmmmm :)

Hod is a bit bumpy but there are a few bits that are fairly smooth, might be my memory though as haven't been there for a long time on the snow

Posted

I am in love with the weather forecasting Lady on tonights BBC South Today not only did she mention Dorset for snow she even narrowed it down to marginally more snowfall for the Purbecks in Dorset poss 10cm,my doorstep!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif.......... believe it when I see it!!!!!!!!! 18Z looks more like sleet

Posted

Infact the NAE up until 42 has the precip more pronounced during wednesday than the 12z run

Such uncertainties from run to run presently - nowcast nowcast nowcast!

SK

Edit: 48 has it maintaining its intensity across eastern wales, west midlands during wednesday afternoon

Edited by snowking

Posted

I'm not banking on snow this time around (had this been Feb with colder sea temps then maybe) but cannot help feeling things will return better still for us in a week or two. Best Dorset snow often in Feb or even March.

The best run - road down N face of Bulbarrow at night when the road is iced and not gritted - manic!!! (I'll probably kill myself there eventually) Not tried Hod , isn't it a bit bumpy?

Just before Christmas I went for a wander around Spread Eagles Hill, by Compton Abbas. There was a fair bit of ice around then - managed to cut my hand up on some rather nice rusty barbed wire as I found myself sliding down the slope. Ended up walking back up the side of the hill from Compton back towards the airport & car park. I wondered then what it would be like to sled down the side there. Unfortunately I have niether the time or the cajones :lol: Oh and I had about 5 heart attacks walking up the hill. Can't keep doing that.

I bet the folks down in Melbury Abbas "love" it when it's snowy and icy down there.

As for this current load of rain/sleet and snow, I still haven't seen anything to grab my attention. Sure, lots of folks are going to see snow - it just isn't going to be anywhere near me [er, probably].

Posted

so i geuss the general idea for tommorow is coming down to a nowcast situation, i just hope whatever comes comes after 2.00 as i have too make a work visit to tavistock tommorow from exeter and then back again!!! do i pack my shovel, or my umbrella lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

so i geuss the general idea for tommorow is coming down to a nowcast situation, i just hope whatever comes comes after 2.00 as i have too make a work visit to tavistock tommorow from exeter and then back again!!! do i pack my shovel, or my umbrella lol

Take both :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Is the NAE really going for snow from midday tomorrow to 6am on Wednesday?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am in love with the weather forecasting Lady on tonights BBC South Today not only did she mention Dorset for snow she even narrowed it down to marginally more snowfall for the Purbecks in Dorset poss 10cm,my doorstep!!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif.......... believe it when I see it!!!!!!!!! 18Z looks more like sleet

Really??? I missed that. 5 mins to go until next south today! Yipee!yahoo.gif

Posted

GEM shortwave Would increase the chances of snowfall, where it is currently marginal.

I have attached below a chart of where the potential lies, its based on whats happend over the recent weeks, and alot of expert, first hand knowledge.

What an interesting satellite pic. Is that showing West Is Best's lawn? The bit underneath the word snow? From coast to coast? Bleeding heck, I wouldn't want to have to mow that lot :good:

Posted

Really??? I missed that. 5 mins to go until next south today! Yipee!yahoo.gif

Would you like me to phone up the radio stations saying your school will be closed Wednesday then hey presto no kids so you can take the day off to play in it heh heh,nobody will ever knowwhistling.gif

Posted

Just before Christmas I went for a wander around Spread Eagles Hill, by Compton Abbas. There was a fair bit of ice around then - managed to cut my hand up on some rather nice rusty barbed wire as I found myself sliding down the slope. Ended up walking back up the side of the hill from Compton back towards the airport & car park. I wondered then what it would be like to sled down the side there. Unfortunately I have niether the time or the cajones tease.gif Oh and I had about 5 heart attacks walking up the hill. Can't keep doing that.

I bet the folks down in Melbury Abbas "love" it when it's snowy and icy down there.

As for this current load of rain/sleet and snow, I still haven't seen anything to grab my attention. Sure, lots of folks are going to see snow - it just isn't going to be anywhere near me [er, probably].

I can say from experience that most of the hills hurt a lot - those sheep tracks on the hillside are a lot rougher when you go over them on the way down - hence I prefer the roads at night!!! Just seen BBC S and they are now saying rain on the coast so I think we shall have to wait a week or two.

Edited by egret

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Still looks good.

Shame its gonna rain heavy on friday & sat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Would you like me to phone up the radio stations saying your school will be closed Wednesday then hey presto no kids so you can take the day off to play in it heh heh,nobody will ever knowwhistling.gif

Ha Ha! A special code has to be given by heads, think people have tried it in the past! Weather forecast didn't look great....nonono.gif

Posted

Ha Ha! A special code has to be given by heads, think people have tried it in the past! Weather forecast didn't look great....nonono.gif

Time to head off now - got to be up early tomorrow. Nice to meet a few from Darzet, 'nite all