Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No snow for today it seems. The Irish Sea is completely dead right now.

As much as I enjoyed yesterday's flurries, I'm a tad disappointed none fell overnight. Some stickage would have been very nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Lucky you, no such luck here and the temperature rising fast, was 0.5C now its 1.0C

Posted

South west parts of the region i.e. Merseyside and west cheshire have a high chance of seeing some snow showers overnight as the NW flow looks like picking up some moisture from the Irish Sea, signs of a trough forming as well. Elsewhere it looks a dry frosty night.

Tomorrow further snow showers possible in south west parts of the region, but dry again elsewhere.

Arctic air is great for producing snow showers near the coast, it is generally a very dry source in its lower layers and needs the sea to pick up moisture, with high lapse rates and rapid evaporation, snow showers often occur near the coast even with temps of 4 degrees.

It was interesting to note how the very south west of Cumbria caught a snow shower last night depositing a light cover in parts, whereas the rest of the county has been bone dry, again proximity to the coast and the NW wind aided this. I do love arctic airstreams, its just a pity it arrived just after a short mild spell and after a period with no snow cover, still its great walking weather. Northerlies and snow in the NW don't usually go together unless we have trough development.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Had a shower whilst i was in yorkshire, everywhere covered. wasnt expecting anything.

Posted

Well we've just had a snow shower and it has stuck (only a covering though)....it is cold out there just above 0C

Same here in Speke but every forecast I look tonight at has something different for tomorrow! Snow all day OR scattered sleet showers OR some in night but nothing in day OR snow only on higher ground.... :)

As I wasn't expecting anything yesterday or today and had a pleasant surprise, I am totally confused as to what to expect now! Has this been one of the hardest winters to predict?

Edited by LiverBird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

2.0C with a heavy hail shower - lightning observed too.

Posted

No snow for today it seems. The Irish Sea is completely dead right now.

As much as I enjoyed yesterday's flurries, I'm a tad disappointed none fell overnight. Some stickage would have been very nice.

Excellent, it worked! :lol:

There's a slight dusting here now. Very pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Nice covering here this morning nothing to get excited about maybe just about 1cm,still better than nothing,make the most

of it though looks like the easterly has gone the shape of a pear now

C.S

Posted

OMG were did that come from blizzard conditions here conplete white out have about 2 inches of snow now and still belting

down....Cheshire stremer in full effect

C.S

Posted

Morning all 8) Between nine and ten last night we received approx two cms of snow, left a lovely unexpected covering!! C.S. we're just missing that unfortunately! Good for you though! 8)

Edited by Louise

Posted

Heavy snow at Manchester airport......Airport now closed.....about 3 inches at the airport and still belting down

C.S

Looks like the radar has snow shower after snow shower lining up over the irish sea anyone confirm.....

C.S

Posted

I expected snow last night and today, the BBC showed it south of here but the conditions were perfect for snow coming in off the irish sea

Indeed

just been in the wales thread not happy people think we have there snow

sky is just full of it no signs of this stopping in the next hour,flakes are so big

nice consolation as this easterly now looks to have have the shape of a pear

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

done well here as well, but showers now look like heading east rather than SE, so may have seen my lot

I know first thing on sunday morning, but cant believe how quiet midlands thread is! others in midlands must have snow

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Got a inch or two here,but it has stopped atm but the sky to my west is full of big black clouds.

Posted

I expected snow last night and today, the BBC showed it south of here but the conditions were perfect for snow coming in off the irish sea

Well I thought one or two showers were a possibility but I didn't expect the amount I got. It will be interesting to hear from other parts of Greater Manchester especially Rochdale and Oldham area because I suspect they didn't get as much as the SW parts of the area did.

Real winter wonderland outside.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Stopped briefly

Scrap that white out conditions again....WOW this was not forecast....wrer is all this coming from LOL??????

C.S

Posted

The snow here in Macclesfield has slowed down again, but it was lovely to wake up to about an inch or so covering. Several heavy showers during the last couple of hours adding another inch. Hopefully there's more to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

just a bit a bit of covering in congleton.not doing anything at the mo.