Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Snow has stopped now. nonono.gif

Looks like its all moved just a little out of reach of us now but damn it has been a close second to last febuarys event in all.

shame about the blow torch southerly on way for a day or so but the village could probably do with a thaw if only a temp one.

Might get a slight frost tonight though which will make morning interesting. blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Still snowing here, although fairly light, it is lovely to watch.

Posted

And so they should - kids need their education. Schools never closed during snow when I was a kid - if the teachers were delayed then we just played in the playground until they could get in - these days it is health and safety gone mad. :o

I was thinking about this, earlier. As well as health and safety stuff, there is also the fact that in ye olden days children inevitably went to a local school and people generally worked a lot closer to home.

I am sure that this has added to the disruption and chaos now.

Nowadays, children can attend schools which are many, many miles from their homes, and it is not unusual for adults to travel 10, 20, 50 even 100 miles on a daily basis to get to work.

So in some ways, it is harder to get about, I suppose. :(

Snow easing off a bit at the moment.

Posted

Still snowing here in Winterbourne although quite light now. I almost didn't get my car off the drive this morning as I stupidly left it facing down the hill. Reverse gear is no fun on snow!! Luckily my two boys helped push me up the incline. Now i've cleared the drive again!!! Looked to me like most of the snow fell in the last few hours of the early morning. I'm surprised it is still snowing and would be intersted to hear from people in the areas to the south that are showing as rain in Netweather radar as some of you are saying it is still snow!

Edited by skidders

Posted

I just spoke to my Mum in Exeter. It's raining there and there is not one bit of snow to be seen.

It's a different story out in the country, obviously, the radio reports many roads blocked, but not any snow at all in her part of Exeter!

It's better for her though. If anyone *thinks I'm old, you should see my old ma!!!!!!!! :good: :wub:

*I'm not so vain as to think that anyone ever thinks about me, but y'know what I mean! :shok:

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Sun is trying to come out here...

Odd, as Exeter is hardly any distance at all as the crow flies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Snowing heavily again here!!

:shok:

Edited by textmum

Posted

Odd, as Exeter is hardly any distance at all as the crow flies.

True. Maybe it's some sort of micro-climate perhaps? Lack of altitude or something? She's only a couple of miles from the centre of Exeter. Maybe that's it. :shok:

Posted

True. Maybe it's some sort of micro-climate perhaps? Lack of altitude or something? She's only a couple of miles from the centre of Exeter. Maybe that's it. unsure.gif

Dartmoor has a mind of its own most of the time with the weather. Although it makes a pleasant change that its sunny(ish) here and cloudy else where :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

very light patchy wet snow with sleet mixed in so as it gets heavier it turns to real snow but i think snow line is climbing now in west country. aggressive.gif

yes just turned back to proper snow again.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I'm surprised it is still snowing and would be intersted to hear from people in the areas to the south that are showing as rain in Netweather radar as some of you are saying it is still snow!

Hi, skidders!

I'm slightly to the south of you (Downend :p ) and can confirm that it has all been of snow and that it has just tailed off.

Yours will probably tail off in 5 minutes! :lol: :D

Posted

It still snowing steady in The Forest of Dean. I thought this was meant to have passed us by, by now! I need to get to Ledbury today, but I think I will wait..... How long.....

5 inches on top of the ice and snow already here so we are up to 12 inches in places.

The cold spell discussed for next week, will that include us here in Gloucestershire?

Check out the wild boar in the snow

I forecast the Forest of Dean as one of the worst affected areas in and around that SE Wales loop into Wiltshire. Note the pulse of energy will significantly weaken in the next couple of hours with the main energy pulse generally across Gloucestershire way - keeping some intensity up towards North West Wales. Then the band increases in energy as it moves into East Yorkshire with a risk of 2 - 5cm here.

Posted

Temp just crept above 0C.

Does anyone know why snow melts and falls off branches etc even when the temp is below freezing, it happened last week when the temp was below -2C!

The temp around 100feet above the earths surface is a good 2 or 3 degrees higher than the ground. At least, it was in the centre of Australia when ballooning, -4C at the ground and +1c at 100feet, above that it colder again.

Don't know why, and may not be the same everywhere.unknw.gif

Could be wind as well?

Posted

I just spoke to my Mum in Exeter. It's raining there and there is not one bit of snow to be seen.

It's a different story out in the country, obviously, the radio reports many roads blocked, but not any snow at all in her part of Exeter!

It's better for her though. If anyone *thinks I'm old, you should see my old ma!!!!!!!! :p:D

*I'm not so vain as to think that anyone ever thinks about me, but y'know what I mean! :lol:

Yep not a drop in Exeter, the weird things is at Kennford bottom of Haldon Hill nothing there either, drive 1/2 a mile up the hill its a totally different story!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Anyhow, enjoy the snow everybody. Might see you during the next cold spell. :lol:

Thanks for your advice :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Big flakes of snow again in Nailsea. Thought this was supposed to die away by now?

Posted

The snow was certainly far wetter this time around, the ground is wet on surfaces that have been swept clear of snow as opposed to last week when thing were relatively dry underneath.

Posted

Well really enjoyed yesterday, but a thaw in well underway here with the snow seeming very wet. Temp is 3.2C which is the first time it has got above freezing in a while.

now it's warmed up it Also seems my boiler has fixed itself!

Jase