Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well really enjoyed yesterday, but a thaw in well underway here with the snow seeming very wet. Temp is 3.2C which is the first time it has got above freezing in a while.

now it's warmed up it Also seems my boiler has fixed itself!

Jase

It might just have have been frozen and now its thawed out.

Posted

It might just have have been frozen and now its thawed out.

It seems whenever we have wind from that direction it has difficulty igniting, when it does ignite it goes out after about 20 seconds and goes on like that.

Jase

Posted

It seems whenever we have wind from that direction it has difficulty igniting, when it does ignite it goes out after about 20 seconds and goes on like that.

Jase

Wind blowing into the flue perhaps?

Posted

Little flurry coming for Bristol again I think!

It will be interesting to see if this is rain or snow then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Jase

That will be the safety switch in the flue kicking in - when fumes can't escape, (blocked flue or air running across, preventing escape) it cuts the gas supply. You can get a shield fitted which should divert the air flow around enough to prevent the supply being cut without compromising safety, ask a gas fitter.

Posted

That will be the safety switch in the flue kicking in - when fumes can't escape, (blocked flue or air running across, preventing escape) it cuts the gas supply. You can get a shield fitted which should divert the air flow around enough to prevent the supply being cut without compromising safety, ask a gas fitter.

Thankyou very much for your help. And to the rest of you guys who gave advice.

Jase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Do you get gas up there Jase?

Thaw has set in here to, bit of rock and walls are appearing that were buried, still masses around though, very wet under trees where all the snow has melted, fallen on to other snow and made that all wet and nasty.

Still, the blowtorch should dry all that up this weekend, and we can crack out the bbq! :drinks:

Posted

Thaw has set in here to, bit of rock and walls are appearing that were buried, still masses around though, very wet under trees where all the snow has melted, fallen on to other snow and made that all wet and nasty.

Still, the blowtorch should dry all that up this weekend, and we can crack out the bbq! :drinks:

snow still falling in bristol massive flakes must be 6 inches or so on the ground built countless snowmen just rolling the snow up like a carpet its so deep and thick this is great:drinks:

Posted

Yes we have gas in this house, which seems like a luxury as our old house there was no gas.

Would like another cold spell at some point but could do with a warm up for a while, already feels so much milder today.

Agree that there is still plenty of snow but hate it when it goes wet and slushy.

Jase

Posted

I built one up on top of the rocks when I took the skis up there... should give someone a suprise! Its on a footpath, but the snow was stupidly deep up there today, took ages.

Anyway, skiing down through the woods, over the rocks and a wall (yes that much snow) got all the way down to my house without stopping...was an amazing run.

I tell ya, if this global warming carries on I can see Dartmoor taking off for some back country skiing!

Posted

Still, the blowtorch should dry all that up this weekend, and we can crack out the bbq! :lol:

And here, indeed the temperature rise this morning has, at least where I am, been very fast indeed. It's odd how, given cold blocks are hard to dislodge, the warm air has just zephyred in this morning with no obvious meteorological accompaniment.

Posted

Hi All,

just looking at the metoffice invent radar

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

and just wondering where that red and yellow pulse off of France and

south of cornwall is supposed to be heading?

Posted

And here, indeed the temperature rise this morning has, at least where I am, been very fast indeed. It's odd how, given cold blocks are hard to dislodge, the warm air has just zephyred in this morning with no obvious meteorological accompaniment.

Hey Dev,

I think its the warm air inside the low that was dragged in for today, should be cooler a touch tomorrow again, before the winds swing southerly and bye bye snow. (thats if it lasts today, which it should... else I pity anyone living by a river down from here)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Heavy bloody snow, I can't bloody believe it, this never happens!

Language Timothy!

Posted

Yes we have gas in this house, which seems like a luxury as our old house there was no gas.

Would like another cold spell at some point but could do with a warm up for a while, already feels so much milder today.

Agree that there is still plenty of snow but hate it when it goes wet and slushy.

Jase

Gas, and snow ploughs... I live on the wrong part of Dartmoor! :lol:

Posted

Hey Dev,

I think its the warm air inside the low that was dragged in for today, should be cooler a touch tomorrow again, before the winds swing southerly and bye bye snow. (thats if it lasts today, which it should... else I pity anyone living by a river down from here)

Oh, yes, it's just interesting. After the blizzard of '78 (and it's two days of snow) all of a sudden, and quietly, things stated to drip and that was that. As to flood I doubt there has been quite enough rainfall equivalent in snow for floods - barely an old money inch I'd guess on my eastern part of the moor.

Posted

Just heavy rain here now in Bath :lol: With the odd flake of sleet here and there.

Well it was good while it lasted! Gf says it's still snow in swindon though so I've got that to look forward to when i get home :)

Posted

Snowing quite heavily in Winterbourne again now. So it definately has not changed to rain here yet. The only thaw going on is on the roofs. All the snow on the trees has not yet gone. One of the best snowy periods in a very long time. Definately takes me back to the 80s!!

Posted

Whereabouts on dartmoor are you Matt?

On the south/eastern side, out towards Widecombe.

Oh, yes, it's just interesting. After the blizzard of '78 (and it's two days of snow) all of a sudden, and quietly, things stated to drip and that was that. As to flood I doubt there has been quite enough rainfall equivalent in snow for floods - barely an old money inch I'd guess on my eastern part of the moor.

9inches fell here last night, so just over a foot of lying snow this morning, but I guess with no major rain on the way it might be ok.