Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

WOW VERY heavy snow at the moment in mid Wales !!! Suddenly there's already 1-2 inches and snow is still falling - giant flakes, why weren't we warned about this? the roads are hazardous here!

you were - the met office have a warning out for you tonight and into tomorrow morning

The google earth one is just a layer and shows great big green "clouds". It's cool when you change your orientation as the radar sits above the earth. There's also a cloud layer.

sounds really funky Joo - I'll have to look into that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

you were - the met office have a warning out for you tonight and into tomorrow morning

Very short notice, it would be nice if the metoffice warns us more than 5 hours in advance, im not being funny but it is dangerous for poeple who have to travel at night. A lot of local people round here know which roads not to take when the weather is bad.

Posted

Nice advert for NW radar. Are you on commission? What sort of discount do you get? I might plug it myself if it's a significant saving!!

Looking forward to next week - even Cardiff might see some tidy snow drinks.gif

yep, certainly should - the cold air just doesn't want to release it's grip - story of the winter really - it's been amazing

Very short notice, it would be nice if the metoffice warns us more than 5 hours in advance, im not being funny but it is dangerous for poeple who have to travel at night. A lot of local people round here know which roads not to take when the weather is bad.

I understand - my grandparents came from aberystwyth (Penparcau) and my mam does too - we used to go up there alot as a family to see them - I know how rural it is and how difficult things must get in these situations - once again though these particular winter snow set ups are very difficult for the meto to predict - it's almost nowcasting for them as a situation develops

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Nice advert for NW radar. Are you on commission? What sort of discount do you get? I might plug it myself if it's a significant saving!!

Looking forward to next week - even Cardiff might see some tidy snow drinks.gif

Commission - I wish!! I have tried to insert the latest radar image, but failed..........mad.gif

PS Huge flakes here now

Edited by in the vale

Posted

Hi,

My name is Luke I am from North Liverpool so not too far away from North Wales so I have decided to have a pop in here to see what my snow chances are for my area we have had a few good falls this winter but what I am looking far is another good fall to finish off this winter for me and really seal this as one of the coldest and snowiest I have seen in my lifetime (at least as an adult)! Just to say it does seem to be getting cold out thier now do you think I could catch a shower or two tonight (a dusting)? And I have heard that thier is significant snow due for tomorrow night, then Sunday into Monday and that is due to arrive at night when temps should be lower ensuring anything that does fall should be of the white variety. Was a bit disappointed yesterday when I thought it should have been cold enough for snow (it was freezing outside) but we got light rain/drizzle instead but what do you think my chances are of getting one more good snowfall to but the icing on the cake for this winter? - looking at the evidence look pretty good but please keep me posted.

Luke

Sorry mate lol, what's your take on the snow tomorrow?

A couple of inches are certainly possible if the NAE model is right, much better time of the day as well, this with colder temps really helps with the marginality of any snow.

Jack one in your opinion have we got better chance of snow monday than the rain sleet we had yesterday?

We had snow here yesterday here but it was wet, and a sleety mix at lower levels. As for Monday that is a long way off, and too early to call at this stage, the models range from a complete non event, to snow for much of Wales.

Posted

Hi,

My name is Luke I am from North Liverpool so not too far away from North Wales so I have decided to have a pop in here to see what my snow chances are for my area we have had a few good falls this winter but what I am looking far is another good fall to finish off this winter for me and really seal this as one of the coldest and snowiest I have seen in my lifetime (at least as an adult)! Just to say it does seem to be getting cold out thier now do you think I could catch a shower or two tonight (a dusting)? And I have heard that thier is significant snow due for tomorrow night, then Sunday into Monday and that is due to arrive at night when temps should be lower ensuring anything that does fall should be of the white variety. Was a bit disappointed yesterday when I thought it should have been cold enough for snow (it was freezing outside) but we got light rain/drizzle instead but what do you think my chances are of getting one more good snowfall to but the icing on the cake for this winter? - looking at the evidence look pretty good but please keep me posted.

Luke

Over this next week a number of lows are going to try and steam into the UK from the south or south west and bring in milder weather but we think they will fail and just bring snow to the cold air - I'm sure some of these will track your way especially as eventually the lows will make it further up north and take the cold air with it - but I'm sure you will see some snow soon

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I think we will miss out here, a few heavy snow showers in north wales and into the SW of England later but looking at the satellite it should stay clear for much of S Wales.

Posted

I think we will miss out here, a few heavy snow showers in north wales and into the SW of England later but looking at the satellite it should stay clear for much of S Wales.

Too early to say yet - lots of showers out there and this "arc" formation may shift - after all these showers aren't supposed to get to us till 6am in the morning - on the other hand may be the GFS is right - but I can't believe Dan the man Corbett is wrong either - so it's patience on this one I'm afraid

Posted

Which will h elp get those temperatures right down for the snow coming in just before dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

here we go guys GFS do your thing!!!

Posted

Over this next week a number of lows are going to try and steam into the UK from the south or south west and bring in milder weather but we think they will fail and just bring snow to the cold air - I'm sure some of these will track your way especially as eventually the lows will make it further up north and take the cold air with it - but I'm sure you will see some snow soon

Hi,

Thanks for that reply it is always fascinating this sort of weather! Anyway is the synoptical situation for early next week in anyway similar to the battleground snowstorm of February 1996 or also March 2006 which both brought rather heavy snowfall to my city (and also I know if we get deep snow North Wales always gets it too - usually even deeper!) and does anyone remember those events and what the exact synoptical situation was - was March 2006 a battleground situation with Atlantic lows moving in pushing againsed colder air in situ?

Luke

Posted

wel - GFS is still stubbornly holding out on us for the morning - no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oops.gif

Hi,

Thanks for that reply it is always fascinating this sort of weather! Anyway is the synoptical situation for early next week in anyway similar to the battleground snowstorm of February 1996 or also March 2006 which both brought rather heavy snowfall to my city (and also I know if we get deep snow North Wales always gets it too - usually even deeper!) and does anyone remember those events and what the exact synoptical situation was - was March 2006 a battleground situation with Atlantic lows moving in pushing againsed colder air in situ?

Luke

not sure about the historical set ups, but yes you can liken to this next week of continous one after the other of battleground events with the lows tracking off to the north east or east sort of shutting the back door on them on the way out of the UK dragging the cold air back into the west of the country

Posted

wel - GFS is still stubbornly holding out on us for the morning - no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oops.gif

not sure about the historical set ups, but yes you can liken to this next week of continous one after the other of battleground events with the lows tracking off to the north east or east sort of shutting the back door on them on the way out of the UK dragging the cold air back into the west of the country

Damn lets hope it's wrong.

Posted

GFS 18z - only showing snow showers for midday and onwards through the afternoon - totally backwards to the beeb's and meto's forecast

means we still get precip but in the wrong part of the day for guaranteed snow - but I'm sure it's wrong - it must be wrong -

DAN THE MAN CORBETT SAID SO

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Saturday night/sunday morning - snow snow snow snow snow - frontal - over night - the best timegood.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Good Eastenders tonight! and enjoyed watching the live backstage after too!

Temp here -0.4C and the water from todays sleet is freezing, ice forming on cars. Hope we get this snow now this weekend! some places could see 1-2inches in the morning according to bbc weather at just gone 19:00 i believe it was i watched it, might of changed now i dunno. unknw.gif

Posted

Luke from Liverpool - if you are still here - sunday lunchtime snow

Good Eastenders tonight! and enjoyed watching the live backstage after too!

Temp here -0.4C and the water from todays sleet is freezing, ice forming on cars. Hope we get this snow now this weekend! some places could see 1-2inches in the morning according to bbc weather at just gone 19:00 i believe it was i watched it, might of changed now i dunno. unknw.gif

GFS is playing devils advocate diablo.gif and playing hard to get - putting snow showers in the afternoon not morning!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Andy ......Just had a look at the BBC I Player,say's snow for Cornwall in the morning (and other places) ,how does that tie up with the output charts cc_confused.gif

Also Met Office warning unknw.gif for SW area's.

Posted

I personally think GFS is way out with this and not because it's not what i want to hear, Nae was correct with the showers today and yesterday that GFS wasn't overly keen on showing also Gfs has chopped and changed so much in the last 48hours its credibility has gone rite through the roof..

Posted

Sunday night/Monday morning looking really interesting on GFS 18z. That cold air's really being dragged quickly back into the mix. Hope it's a trend that continues!