Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011 Part 2

Coast

Posted

I agree and for someone who has a picture of seasonal weather, i wouldn't have expected this, i would have expected more positivity, unless you just doing it for the sake of it and have your opinion on the coming winter.

I don't mind him being negative if he genuinly thinks its going to be a mild winter but i don't think anyone can write off winter because some charts may suggest it will be mild. Having said that, you can't mis-lead people and say the winter WILL be cold because some long range forecasts may suggest this could be the case.

I for one have got no idea what the upcoming winter has in store, and nor does anyone else really.

Posted

Can anyone give a sort of vague summary of this winter for the south east ? Many thanks

We don't have a clue! Its to early to give a realistic forecast for the coming winter, especially on a regional level!

Posted

Can anyone give a sort of vague summary of this winter for the south east ? Many thanks

There will be some cold weather. There will be some mild weather. There will be some sunshine. There will be some rain.

Posted

There will be some cold weather. There will be some mild weather. There will be some sunshine. There will be some rain.

There may be some sleet also...

As Mark says nobody knows at this stage, its pointless too speculate on it.

Posted

Hunch - Next week will start to cool down and becoming quite cold by the end of this month. we will see our first snows in November.Intermittently we will have cold snaps lasting anything up to ten days. Little or no mild interludes (temporary rise in temperatures). Plenty of snowfalls and a lot more frosts than we have had in recent years. A much colder winter than we had last yearcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

To me this battleground scenario can't be decided this far away as to where will fair best. It all depends on where the battleground sets up.

And actually yes, if the battleground is just to the West of Ireland then West will fair best, because as any fronts push through towards the HP block in the East they lose their precipitation intensity. However, if the HP is retreating, Central areas or the East may fair best with the West being too marginal for sustained snowfall.

In other words never worry about such trivial remarks in a winter forecast, because wether they come to fruition is far too dependant on a shift of even 100 miles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Is that accurate if it is I am a very happy man but is this

For the south aswell

Camiscool, this is all speculation. Snowfall is very difficult to predict 24hrs in advance never mind 1-2 months!

Posted

Good grief!!!! :doh:

Winter will come early to Britain next week as snow is forecast for the north while the south will shiver in frosty sub-zero nights.
Forecasters warned snow is due in Scotland and possibly northern England next week, with frost as far south as southern England, which will see bitter 48F (9C) daytime maximum temperatures.

www.telegraph.co.uk/Snow-to-hit-Britain

Posted

Don't know how many of you speak Welsh so won't understand this but use the old google translate from Cymraeg to English and again this news site is calling snow next week and a cold winter.

http://www.golwg360.com/Hafan/cat66/Erthygl_16679.aspx

Posted

Don't know how many of you speak Welsh

Here we go:

Snow on the way to Britain

There will be snow hit parts of Britain next week, and the rest of the country is freezing at night, according to weather forecasts. This comes as forecasters warn the west of Britain - including Wales - will be hit by heavy snow this winter.

Cold comes after a period of fine weather, when temperatures reach 23 degrees Celsius in some parts of Britain over the weekend. The company anticipates the weather Positive Weather Solutions has already said that next winter is almost as strict with the last one. There will be heavy snow as temperatures drop to-20C and more hassle on the roads, they said.

Snow for Wales

Last winter was the coldest for 31 years, and according to one company weather Britain is going through a period of cold winters at the moment. The Weather Outlook said that the west of Britain - including the Government - will have it the worst this year. "The weather will be different this year, with cold air coming from the east or south-east," said Brian Gaze in the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"The heavy snow falls on the boundary between the cold air, dry air from the east and the warm, wet from the Atlantic - so it would not be surprising to see heavy snow falls in the west. "History shows that cold winters tend to come one after another. The warmer than normal winters between 1991 and 2007, but changed that with colder than normal winter in 2008-09, and last winter was the coldest since 1978-79.

"We expect the third consecutive winter colder than normal, with heavy snow and ice hard."

Preparing for a cold winter

Tuesday he called the Liberal Democrats in Wales the Assembly Government to do more to prepare for a cold winter this year. The Liberal Democrats argue that the Assembly Government needs to develop a plan to try to prevent the same thing from happening again in the coming months.

That comes after the Local Government Association is warning that some of the early months of Welsh councils have received all the grit they have requested for this winter.

There was a poll by the association shows that nearly 18% of councils in England and Wales are still waiting for an average of 1,800 tons of salt each. There was heavy snow across Wales last winter and led to the closure of roads and schools, and 74% increase in deaths due to cold weather.

Just a re-work of the Telegraph scare story!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

those 2 quotes seem very realistic to me, snow in scotland next week 9°C max for my area

Posted

those 2 quotes seem very realistic to me, snow in scotland next week 9°C max for my area

22025-tn.jpg

Yep, only 9.9 DgC here this morning so that bit is feasible, although hardly Winter, 'freezing conditions'. It's just the way the media always elevate things to sound like a major disaster is on it's way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I find living where I do that the weather can turn quite dramatically, from sunshine, mild and wet to windy and cold within 24hrs. It doesnt take long for a Nly to set chilld among bones.

Posted

I find living where I do that the weather can turn quite dramatically, from sunshine, mild and wet to windy and cold within 24hrs. It doesnt take long for a Nly to set chilld among bones.

On my only 2 visits to Skye(actually we stayed in Plockton) we enjoyed fabulous weather(t'was August) I tried to persuade my wife that a visit in December would be a good idea but I'm afraid there was not an encouraging response.

Posted

It makes sense when people need to get into work and their kids' schools to open as normal — the economy lost an estimated £1 billion last year through lost output.

But if you read the article, it says they are spending that money not on grit but towards the Met Office for an accurate winter forecast.

I'm still wondering whether or not the story is poppycock, given its utter incredulity.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I don't mind him being negative if he genuinly thinks its going to be a mild winter but i don't think anyone can write off winter because some charts may suggest it will be mild. Having said that, you can't mis-lead people and say the winter WILL be cold because some long range forecasts may suggest this could be the case.

I for one have got no idea what the upcoming winter has in store, and nor does anyone else really.

no by far i dont think this winter will be milder average could be a possible.

i do though there is a method to joe b idear a summer wear heat has played a big part caused by heights over russia,

his thoughts are suggesting that if heights remain through the winter period then they of coarse would have a colder winter because the cold would get more and more bottled up.

and yes i did right off last winter i was so wrong glad i was im not saying this winter will be mild sw flows im certain of that but settled cold similar to 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Heavy snow in Northern Ireland ey? We get heavy snow every winter at some point.

To me that's a bit much detail this early on, because it all depends on nowcast developments at such a time.

Fairplay though, I'll take it if he's offering. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Just a re-work of the Telegraph scare story!

Anyone want to have a side wager ?

2 virtual pints that TWO's forecast when it is issued will feature 'average' temperature range rather than the inferred below average.