Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011 Part 2

Coast

Posted

Hello there, considering this is a winter thread I have a question based on this 18z chart as it looks to me it could deliver some colder seasonal weather down the line if it came off, but will probably change anyway. I do think it is a very unusual chart and cannot be sure on what would happen or the possibilities, I would imagine it is a split jet, but the jet to the north would come south as the high moves up north, the jet to the north moving into central Europe and going south which is great for anyone looking for some cold weather.biggrin.gifHere is the chart: shok.gifhttp://www.netweathe...384/h500slp.png weird eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

1983-84 was one fo the biggest blizzards to ever hit the north, electricty of for days, 80mph Nly winds, winter started early December brief mild spell christmas and then came January and it was bloomin terriifying.

So roll on the La Nina!

Mt Data please take a look at the synopics week commencing the 1st of January 1984, and see what happened. It was the best blizzard I have ever lived through.:drinks:

Snowyowl9 posted the chart for the 3rd January 1984, here are a few more from the same month:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840114.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840117.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840122.gif

You might also have enjoyed the second week of January 1993:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119930111.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119930114.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Netweather Winter forecast suggesting a very dry winter which means no snow :( ?

No offense, but do you actually think that there

A: will be NO snow?

B: That there is only one forecast out there?

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

Ohhh.. I didn't mean literally NO snow just not that much???

Ah right. Well, if there is a drier winter predicted, then it's likely that there will probably be a bit more blocking in the Atlantic. I can imagine more outbreaks from Northerly and Easterly winds. Which of course give colder, and with an Easterly (especially on the eastern seaboard), snowier weather.

Posted

They also say that the lowest temperatures will be in the south east which is good news for me :)

Yep. LR Models show a possibly easterly-dominated December, which would mean a December possibly (possibly) colder and snowier than last year's, for the eastern areas of England and Scotland. Can't say yet though.

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A cold, dry winter would still have potential to be snowier than average, because of the increased blocking promoting a higher proportion of precipitation falling as snow. To take an extreme case, 1962/63 was a dry sunny winter for most parts of the country, and exceptionally dry in some places.

A cold dry winter would, however, be likely to be less snowy than last winter was, for last winter was unusual for the frequency of weather that was both cold and unsettled at the same time. 1979 was perhaps the most extreme case of such a winter in the last half-century, but generally cold winters have a tendency to be dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Although if the right conditions come at the right time there is nothing to suggest we won't see a Snowy spell of weather followed by a cold HP meaning the snow could last for a while. There's so many things that could happen there's just no point ruling it out on the basis of one Winter forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

For the dry and cold angle, I think we need to consider that wonderful term 'faux cold' particularly with a slight continental drift underneath anticyclones.

Posted

Faux cold??

Cold because of clear skies and inversion under High Pressure.

Posted

For the dry and cold angle, I think we need to consider that wonderful term 'faux cold' particularly with a slight continental drift underneath anticyclones.

I'd have faux cold all winter. Frosty nights wub.gif

Posted

one of the headline makers as the season progresses could well be the dryness with all three months expected to have below average precipitation widely across the country. NOT GOOD. wallbash.gif

Posted

one of the headline makers as the season progresses could well be the dryness with all three months expected to have below average precipitation widely across the country. NOT GOOD. wallbash.gif

How come? I'm sure there will be more snow still. You can't base everything on one forecast. Anyway, wasn't last winter drier than average, we all know what happened there whistling.gif

Posted

A dry season does not mean entirely dry - its also worth bearing in mind that 1cm of rain = (approx) 10cm of snow...

I think Cami needs to work in Inches Paul. For his inch of rain he'll receive 10 inches of snow.:pardon:

Posted

An interesting winter forecast, I'll be interested to see how it pans out down here considering the forecast for colder than average temmps. Last winter was quite dry here and colder than the previous winter. Regarding the appearance of faux cold, that caused quite alot of debate in here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I'd have faux cold all winter. Frosty nights wub.gif

There are differing opinions on "faux cold" because some believe it's exactly that...false. I always tend to think of the weather as what we experience on the ground, with what ever is happening with upper temperatures irrelevant. There are others who even though enjoy the cold, don't like anticyclonic weather due to the fact temperatures on the ground may be cold, but go up a couple of thousand feet and temperatures are not "ideal".