Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Spring Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

March usually has a fair few frosts and snow at some point so i would keep it out still.

Posted

NO cool down for today after all. Very mild with sunny spells currently 11c!

Spring is well and truly here!

Wasn't mild at all today, 6-8 is average not mild - 10 is mild for this time of year. It didn't get above 5 degrees here in the Aman Valley.

Glad you agreed with me Adam on 6-8c being average then...biggrin.gif

Think I am getting a foehn effect with the SE wind warming as it descends the Cambrians as I am out on my own at being above 10c this morning! Very interesting..as I was expecting it not to get above 9c today.

Foehn effect

Amazingly it has risen from 7.5c just over an hour ago, thick cloud all around and yet we have been bathed in sunshine virtue of the Cambrians sucking out the moisture to leave a hole over Llanwnnen.

Edited by Tonyh

Did brighten up a bit this afternoon, but again mostly cloudy. Max Temps around 7c.

After this weeks mild spell, which may see temps into the mid teens in North East Wales (Hawarden most favoured), due to the foehn effect mentioned. I think there may be some cold frosty weather around next week, with HP building over the UK.

The foehn had quite a damaging effect on the Alps, earlier this month, but at least now there has been snow in western areas, which generally have not had a good winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

GFS keeps throwing in very cold, chilly runs in FI for the begining of March!

maybe a trend!

It been there for quite a few runs (in FI). IF it is there at the weekend, then we can start to look a it seriously, certainty watch watching though.

Posted

Could get the combine harvester out, (If you didn't see Top Gear last night, you wouldn't get that reference. )

Watched it on Catch Up......... cant see local farmers parting with their £250k pride and joy to the council every winter, for them to turn them into snow plows and gritting machines. Not only that, they wouldnt come back in one piece going by their driving.

With a max speed of 12 m.p.h...............????

Good laugh thou..... :lol:

It been there for quite a few runs (in FI). IF it is there at the weekend, then we can start to look a it seriously, certainty watch watching though.

Music to my ears. Still got 140 tonne of Rock Salt left !!! Lucky there is no expiry on this stuff.

Be nice to get a couplr of days here and there.

Posted

The infamous GFS garden path try not to get led too far along it!

Very mild air is here.

Posted

The models seem to be firming up now for next week.

Very mild and unsettled the remainder of this week, then a cool west/ nor- wester over the weekend, before an impressive high sets up camp on our doorstep. Hopefully this will bring a taste of mild sunshine for early March?

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

The models seem to be firming up now for next week.

Very mild and unsettled the remainder of this week, then a cool west/ nor- wester over the weekend, before an impressive high sets up camp on our doorstep. Hopefully this will bring a taste of mild sunshine for early March?

Will this be end for the cold ?

Posted

Depending on the position of the high and cloud amounts, the best option would be nice mildish sunny days with frosty nights.

Max temp 9c (at 8pm), just above average if that and vile in the heavy rain just before 9 this morning. Temps generally struggling locally. The max temps was also 9c at Pembrey. I have spoken to quite a few people, and most would would prefer a return to colder frosty conditions, to these conditions.

Very much a regional divide across Wales, reaching a much milder 13c in Trawscoed, and it could get milder there.

GFS disappointing tonight, no point at looking at an easterly at this time of year.

Posted

Well GFS keeps coming with the same idea - northerly/then easterly and it just keeps getting closer and closer!

A cold start to March with snow is looking more and more likely

Posted

Well GFS keeps coming with the same idea - northerly/then easterly and it just keeps getting closer and closer!

A cold start to March with snow is looking more and more likely

Its quiet ironical the regional thread about to close ,,and it will snow a few days later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

This morning's ECM is now also coming on board with the GFS as regards some cold and snowy weather for later on next week

Will it actually happen though? Lately every time there seems a chance of cold and snow, it normally disappears within a few days of when its forecast to happen!

Posted

Ohh it hope it does happen have been deprived of tis white stuff fingers crossed and if it does snow they will keep the regional threads open (hopefully!)

Posted

Will it actually happen though? Lately every time there seems a chance of cold and snow, it normally disappears within a few days of when its forecast to happen!

Agreed, there has been a lot of false "dawns" regarding the cold coming back recently - but I still think there will be some further cold before spring finally takes it's hold.

Posted

Hey Guys have you read that the forum regional discussions will be closing soon, I find this very sad as recently some colder weather has been poping up on the models, anyway this is what Shuggee had to say:

"Just a heads-up that with the end of winter approaching, the regional threads will be hibernating once again for the non-snowy seasons.

Traffic levels on the site don't justify so many threads outside peak cold weather, and discussion simply gets diluted and the forum frankly looks a mess and reads badly. Perhaps now is the time to reintegrate discussion in the main forum threads as a precursor to this section being closed"

I think this is very sad,especially as not enough forum users live on the western half of the country,maybe merge with South West England thread (Personally I disagree with that Idea), it's just a suggestion (please dont heart me! :cray: ), but it will be a sad time when it does happen. Jackone is it possble that the regional discussions will stay open for longer?

Weatherwise, looking at the 12z looking ok (I think), hoping for one more school closure becuase of snow

Thats my opinion anyway

Sam

Edited by snowmadsam

Posted

Here we go - snow as early as next tuesday

rart_11030112_2412.gif?c0d2af22f49e4a68758784173754046b

and for the rest of the GFS 12z run we are back in the freezer - right up to the middle of March - looks like winter has a bite in it's tail for us

Edited by andymusic

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Snowmadsam, February 24, 2011 - found the charts
Hidden by Snowmadsam, February 24, 2011 - found the charts

Here we go - snow as early as next tuesday

rart_11030112_2412.gif?c0d2af22f49e4a68758784173754046b

and for the rest of the GFS 12z run we are back in the freezer - right up to the middle of March - looks like winter has a bite in it's tail for us

Anymore of them charts showing snow?