Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Spring Weather Discussion Thread

J10

I don't wish to show anyone up, just look back through here over the past week, notably one person beginning with Kwhistling.gif.

Anyhow, this would n't be the Welsh thread if we did not have one cold and snow hyperacute.gif After-all Andymusic has given up on us....

I can sort of see that to be honest. I think it is the lack of snow desperation that is setting in.

I still think though there is a better balance on here than the MOD thread.

Generally as well despite one or two enticing runs, I don't think I ever truly believed it would deliver. I certainly hoped it would, but hoping and believing are two different things. To be honest I think Andy had the same feeling.

Posted

I don't wish to show anyone up, just look back through here over the past week, notably one person beginning with Kwhistling.gif.

Anyhow, this would n't be the Welsh thread if we did not have one cold and snow hyperacute.gif After-all Andymusic has given up on us....

Earlier in week there was a possibility of wintry showers on monday as the met office weather warning showed ,as yes we dident tap into the really cold air over n east europe ,but still we going to get a a weak easterly flow over friday saturday according to met.Whats the point Tonyh of having a winter thread if we cant talk about the possibity of snow?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No point at all Keith.

Posted

I can sort of see that to be honest. I think it is the lack of snow desperation that is setting in.

I still think though there is a better balance on here than the MOD thread.

Generally as well despite one or two enticing runs, I don't think I ever truly believed it would deliver. I certainly hoped it would, but hoping and believing are two different things. To be honest I think Andy had the same feeling.

Thanks Jackone - only trying to read the information as best I can that is at hand - but these last seven days or so have been up one minute and down the next - the models really didn't have a good handle on what was about to happen, and I suppose it could have gone either way - but all credit to Joe B - once again he got it about spot on, and the "mild" (not scorching) weather pattern won out again. It could have easily gone the other way mind!

Posted

Morning All,

My Netweather extended forecast for my sites is showing a return of the cold next week. I am not holding my breath as things have been so up and down over the last week. One minute im loading up the gritter, the next thing im kicking off my steel toe caps and 'huffing' on the sofa.

Has this weather for next Tuesday onwards got any substance? Can you guys see anything coming in? :cc_confused:

Cheers, Carl

Posted

Morning All,

My Netweather extended forecast for my sites is showing a return of the cold next week. I am not holding my breath as things have been so up and down over the last week. One minute im loading up the gritter, the next thing im kicking off my steel toe caps and 'huffing' on the sofa.

Has this weather for next Tuesday onwards got any substance? Can you guys see anything coming in? :cc_confused:

Cheers, Carl

outside chances of frosts as a more settled high pressure influenced weather type comes over us - but no giant severe freeze or snow I'm afraid - GFS 06z is showing that potentially if the cold over the european continent could have the legs to cross the north sea over the next 7 - 10 days then may be something more severe could be on the cards - but again - the general theme is "close but no cigar"

Posted

GFS & ECM 12z - no change I'm afraid - Atlantic winning - even Derek is talking about 12c over the weekend now - positively tropical and springlike

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Well Wales has had Spring temperatures a month early already, we are averaging late March figures.

Birds realise this too, they are into Spring mode, there was a dawn chorus here this morning with Song Thrushes, Great Tits, Wrens and Chaffinches joining in, very early indeed!

Posted

I have renamed the thread in a futile attempt to get some wintry back back to us. As the models looks distinctly uninspiring in this regard.

reverse psychology may just work - I can't see how somewhere in Wales won't see a flake or two of snow between now and the end of March :wallbash:

GFS 18z - looking a little more interesting - frontal low friday is taking a lot more time to cross the UK - with 48 hours still to go - and the high pressure cold isn't too far away after that - skulking about waiting for it's chance to pounce may be!:pardon:

add to that the potential for some lovely spring sunshine - that should cheer some of us up anyway!:rolleyes:

Edited by andymusic

Posted

well to be honest i have found it cold in the wind today guys but i do think its time for the sun to come out and give us a nice long dry hot summer. i did enjoy the cold before during and after xmas but enough is enough and i dont want any more,i also dont think that much snow etc will fall again until maybe next nov dec or jan, but you never know lol the days are getting much longer now and the birds etc and trees are showing signs of spring. i took my son to rugby tonight and 2 of the kids parents said that there was heavy snow for next week where did they get this info from?

Posted

What a glorious day. Really feels warm in the sun and lovely sitting out with the birds chirping away. 10c. So much for the cold spell!

Posted

Not sure if this really qualifies as a weather related issue for Wales - but if you were't already aware of this take a look

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20110217/tuk-storm-to-bring-northern-lights-to-br-a7ad41d.html

How fantastic would this be - perhaps once in a lifetime for some of us - certainly liven up the somewhat unexciting weather pattern we are currently experiencing. :yahoo:

Posted

Not sure if this really qualifies as a weather related issue for Wales - but if you were't already aware of this take a look

http://uk.news.yahoo...br-a7ad41d.html

How fantastic would this be - perhaps once in a lifetime for some of us - certainly liven up the somewhat unexciting weather pattern we are currently experiencing. :yahoo:

yeah that looks great Steve, thanks for bringing it to our attention - I'd heard about the solar activity recently - if we do get a clear night - then we could be in luck.

Whoever said anything about snow for next week is way off the mark right now - model thread are still arguing over the possibilities though - since the cold continental high pressure which is very very strong is so close by - they still think there's an outside chance the cold uppers will get to the UK sometime next week - we shall have to wait and see.

Mind you the sking resorts in Scotland are having a very good year again

post-7852-0-33706300-1297961822_thumb.jp

Edited by andymusic

9c here today and sunny, felt a lot better than yesterday 8c, with a cold wind.

It was generally 1c degree milder today across Wales and this trend may continue for a few days.

It's late February now so I don't mind a lack of snow, provided it is sunny.

Posted

Whatever we think the met still go with a possibility of a cold spell for next week ,with a final words on tonights forecast the mild weather winning the battle for now.

Whatever we think the met still go with a possibility of a cold spell for next week ,with a final words on tonights forecast the mild weather winning the battle for now.

Unfortunately I cannot see any cold weather for here. Indeed my main interest is to see if the cold gets far enough west for the Alps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I know its abit off topic but will I be able to see the solar flares?

Posted

I know its abit off topic but will I be able to see the solar flares?

not the solar flares but the aurora - northern lights - and you'll only be able to really see them if we have a reasonably clear sky - and from the report the further north you are in the UK the better

Posted

Unfortunately I cannot see any cold weather for here. Indeed my main interest is to see if the cold gets far enough west for the Alps.

You must be due for your skiing trip jack one?

You must be due for your skiing trip jack one?

No but I do the skiing weather forecast for netweather and there has been a real lack of snow recently for western Alps, it has improved this week, but not by much.

I have been skiing before, if you can count managing to stay on two feet, while Watching 4 year old going past me at a rate of knots skiing, that is. :whistling:

Posted

GFS 06z - is throwing up some last minute very cold temps for Monday now and into Monday night as the high pressure struggles to move that bit further west - if these drop just one or two notches more with a further Atlantic front crossing in aswell - it could still be game on for some of the wintriness for Monday, Monday night, Tuesday morning. Keep watching this saga folks - it's just like watching eastenders - mostly depressing - but with the odd shock - this could be the shock!

Posted

GFS 06z - is throwing up some last minute very cold temps for Monday now and into Monday night as the high pressure struggles to move that bit further west - if these drop just one or two notches more with a further Atlantic front crossing in aswell - it could still be game on for some of the wintriness for Monday, Monday night, Tuesday morning. Keep watching this saga folks - it's just like watching eastenders - mostly depressing - but with the odd shock - this could be the shock!

True andy temps struggling today ,looks like the front will stall over swales ,can we get low enough temps in place by monday night .

Edited by keithlucky