Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

England (Central & Southern) - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

They should have been opened for the 1st December, and really it should be opened for the cold spell.

I actually think those in Northern England will do well. The cold spell has kind of arrived in Scotland with blizzard conditions and lying snow in many places in the highlands and in the central belt the showers have been wintry. Also the shower activity has been brilliant across Scotland and reaching some of the eastern coasts. With colder uppers to come really snow is a certainty here in Scotland as it's already wintry here in Dunbartonshire.

I would imagine that the showers in England will be heavy and quite widespread and if it's snowing at warmer than -5C uppers in Scotland then I would imagine that it would be snowing at below -5C uppers in England!!

In the meantime, have a look at the Scotland thread!

Posted

I've been having a look at the Scotland thread and notice this post from Lomond Snowstorm:

NAE suggests Ayrshire in the firing line tomorrow night http://expertcharts....120506_0312.gif and Merseyside into Monday rush hour too - who'da thunk it?

Any other opinions on that chart? I know it looks promising but is it snow for me or just sleet?

Really pleased for you guys in Cumbria. Enjoy!

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

The New Scotland thread reads "Scotland Cold Spell Discussion". Well if all of England is going to get colder than of late and the Northern half is set for snow then I would imagine that the proper regionals should open.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted

hi guys,

first post of the winter and we have just had a shower of hail, which is always a good sign of cold on the way, more of the same please :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Bit quiet in here at the moment.. Hopefully that will change by tonight/tomorrow. I expect reports of sleet/snow in areas of Northern England by tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Bit quiet in here at the moment.. Hopefully that will change by tonight/tomorrow. I expect reports of sleet/snow in areas of Northern England by tonight!

Hello mate long time no speak! ; and there is a seperate thread for Northern England

Posted

Well you can wait no longer, because that area of heavy rain going through the region has produced some sleet over near my work at Corley (which is at 500ft asl).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well you can wait no longer, because that area of heavy rain going through the region has produced some sleet over near my work at Corley (which is at 500ft asl).

Waaaaaaaay! I'm hoping some of those showers come through the Cheshire gap into the Midlands overnight and tomorrow but i'm not holding my breath for it.

Posted

I wonder if they'd let us have a proper midlands thread as this one will be diluted by the south east too much?

No offence to the south east, but there are waaaaaay more of you than us and our post will get lost in the frenzy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Hi Andy - just been trying to persuade AJpoolshark to get the Midlands regional thread opened up.

Time to start gathering us midlanders together!

Fizz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

good to have southern thread opened! will be sick of all the rain by the end of this week, welcoming next weekend's high pressure, (hope no changes) will be cold and seasonal

Posted

hoping to see some snow showers tonight and tommorow, looking reasonable for my location, curremtly 2.1 degrees.

and planty of showers streaming in over night.

:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I don't think any need to open up a Midlands thread for the cold snap - if you can even call it that - as winds turn more WNW the showers will come off the Irish Sea to affect Manchester, North Cheshire and then perhaps to North Derbyshire but there won't be a Cheshire gap feed into the Midlands.

there will be if its rain, but yeah when its cold enough for snow it will be the Stockport area, like 20th Dec 09

Posted

heavy sleet, hail and wet snow for 10 mins temps were 3.1 but now moved down to 1.9

:D

just checking radars and looks like plenty more stuff to come on NW feed, feeding straight down from Irish Sea.

ppn seems to build in intensity as it comes over the Peak District.

Posted

Strong cell moving into the Derby area, could well be wintry given the strength of the cell. Actually has strengthened in the last hour or so and is now producing some pretty decent returns on radar.

As for a Midlands thread, we'll keep it how it is for now simply because the cold/snow threat doesn't last long in the Midlands. This thread is quiet enough not to need a seperate thread.

Posted

Strong cell moving into the Derby area, could well be wintry given the strength of the cell. Actually has strengthened in the last hour or so and is now producing some pretty decent returns on radar.

As for a Midlands thread, we'll keep it how it is for now simply because the cold/snow threat doesn't last long in the Midlands. This thread is quiet enough not to need a seperate thread.

Yes, I'm only at 100m right now, on the Derbyshire / Staffordshire border, and the rain has turned to sleety snow. I imagine the snow's settling above 200m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

No snow for us Southerner's.. Just Yet anyway! All i want is the temperature to be cooler of late and few frosts this coming week-Will i get what i want, i think i've got a decent enough chance :)

Posted

No snow for us Southerner's.. Just Yet anyway! All i want is the temperature to be cooler of late and few frosts this coming week-Will i get what i want, i think i've got a decent enough chance :)

agreed Mark - temperatures cold enough to warrant a scrape of frost/ice off the car windscreen would be enough - for now...

Any likelihood of any snow for us in the SE before christmas? :S

Best follow the model discussion thread: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71786-model-output-discussion-5th-december-11th-december/

Although, I have to warn, a prescription of prozac is recommended before viewing! :wacko:

Posted

Any likelihood of any snow for us in the SE before christmas? :S

Unlikely at the moment.Anyway I've always thought it would be in January this winter when the cold and snowy weather arrives for much of this country away from the hills and mountains,

Its rare to get a very severe month like last December then expect the follwing December to be as bad.Just trawling through the CET series from 1684 confirms this.