Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

The problem is that there's been no real prolonged spells of nice sunny weather. June and July have been very similar so far; both started well and entered unsettled phases in mid-month. Late June had a warm up, and July also looks like possibly bringing something more settled and warm in later on.

Aside from the odd dry sunny day, it's been unsettled, and even in more settled periods it's been cloudy. If, during the unsettled spells, temperatures were a bit higher people would probably moan less, but 18°C in late July here is unnacceptable. At this time of the year for my location, we should be seeing temperatures 3-4 degrees higher than this.

Another slight moan is the lack of real thunderstorms. I've not had a single good old fashioned overhead thunderstorm this year. Every single storm has been a shower with a few rumbles and a bit of rain. Plus, they've all lasted for fifteen minutes or so. It's just boring.

Posted

The problem is that there's been no real prolonged spells of nice sunny weather. June and July have been very similar so far; both started well and entered unsettled phases in mid-month. Late June had a warm up, and July also looks like possibly bringing something more settled and warm in later on.

Another slight moan is the lack of real thunderstorms. I've not had a single good old fashioned overhead thunderstorm this year. Every single storm has been a shower with a few rumbles and a bit of rain. Plus, they've all lasted for fifteen minutes or so. It's just boring.

Agreed on both this counts, exactly the way it is indeed. Consistent, never ending mediocrity. Not warm spells balanced by cooler spells, more like continuous slightly below average dross, so the averages don't look terrible on paper, but the everyday experience is one of gloomy, cool monotony and tedium.

This place I live in also hasn't had a thunderstorm this year, which is strange, and I've had a couple of rumbles of thunder on just three days this year, far below the supposed average of 10 days or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

This past week or so has definitely been the worst bit of summer so far. Constantly cool & grey although little in the way of real rain - just drizzle.

Before this period there was a lot more sunshine and temperatures although not hot have been fairly pleasant.

This nasty NEly wind has been just horrible - my house struggles to keep above 20c at the moment which is too cool. I don't want to heat it for the sake of a degree or two! Can't have any air through the place either as it's too cool to keep the windows open. Get enough recycled CO2 during the cold seasons!

Gladly the sunshine today has pushed it to just about 21c so it will feel nicer this evening.

Posted

This past week or so has definitely been the worst bit of summer so far. Constantly cool & grey although little in the way of real rain - just drizzle.

Before this period there was a lot more sunshine and temperatures although not hot have been fairly pleasant.

This nasty NEly wind has been just horrible - my house struggles to keep above 20c at the moment which is too cool. I don't want to heat it for the sake of a degree or two! Can't have any air through the place either as it's too cool to keep the windows open. Get enough recycled CO2 during the cold seasons!

Gladly the sunshine today has pushed it to just about 21c so it will feel nicer this evening.

I very much agree with you there. The last 10-14 days have been quite poor IMO since we last had a ridge back in early July. Only today has really felt summerlike in the past 10 days, most other days have been cool, windy but there hasn't been much rainfall to go with it to be honest. Weather like we had in June is perfectly fine by me, temperatures between 20-24C, varying amounts of cloud but mainly dry with rain on a few days.

I'd have to say, that July so far has been borderline poor.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes a cool, wet week here, but with the promise of a fine, warm week to come!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Its turning out to be quite a cool month here now. The current mean is 15.8C (-0.9C) which if it were to finish that way would make it the 4th coldest July in 30 years.

July 2010 was 18.2C and 2007 managed 16.5C, which gives you an idea of how cool it has been so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Cant remember the last nice warm evening where its been nice enough to sit outside without shivering. Temperatures have dipped into single figures lately which is very poor for July.

Posted

This summer here is at least borderline poor IMO, June slightly below average temps, above average rain, only a few days above 23C at the beginning of June. July so far the highest temp is 22.5C (and I was away then), and the mean temp is actually running 2C below average, with the mean at 14.8C, far closer to June's normal average.

Monday had a max of just 14.9C, Wednesday 16.4C late on. Yesterday was 16C with light rain in the afternoon.

This high has been downgraded on the ECM this evening, and next week has at least a couple weak/drizzly fronts draped over the UK at times, with temps slightly above average at best in between. The ECM now brings sub-5C uppers down by Friday instead, yet again :wallbash:

It's Begining to seem like it may not even rise much above 23C during this spell now.. on 49 days since the last day above 23.2C. (50 since 25C +). Whole summer since the 3rd June without a 25C, I'm beginning to think it's not a bad bet to make... Even 2007/08/09 didn't fall that low here.

I'm sorry but no one can tell me that's not poor. Another factor that ranks poorly here is the complete lack of any thunder this summer, or even sunshine and heavy shower days, with convective downpours. I can't even remember any proper convective showery weather/days here, Been a while since a good downpour. At least the last few years have had some of this here.

I'm actually beginning to feel sick of this summer.

This is of course while the heatwave/hot conditions over places like Finland etc continue to be extended at the UK's expense it seems.

Sorry for the prolonged whinge - but if this suggested warm settled spell doesn't occur this summer certainly deserves it!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So looks like another summer month without a hot spell, next week looking crappy here, dull and damp on mon-tues, unsettled from west with rain on thurs 28th for my area

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

A stream of 70-80% cloudcover over Shropshire today whilst the rest of the Midlands bathed in Sunshine, still it was the first time since Thursday 14th to see the sun for more than 5 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We didn't bathe in sunshine I assure you! We got sunshine first thing, then cloud until about 5pm then it became sunny. Like the Telford curse the Nottingham curse was in full force! ;)

Gladly tmw looks better for us - sky is clear tonight thus chilly. Hopefully it remains this clear at 2pm...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A stream of 70-80% cloudcover over Shropshire today whilst the rest of the Midlands bathed in Sunshine, still it was the first time since Thursday 14th to see the sun for more than 5 mins.

Why is your area so cloud prone?

I've had a great day today with plenty of sunshine. I looked at the radar earlier too, and there wasn't much cloud around anywhere really in England. Your location had similar looking conditions to mine cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

i actually think the summer down in the inland SE is quite fair, just need some deep blue clear sky! its cloudy alot but not to cool in the daytime with quite warm at times, but cool sometimes very cool nights, had far more convective activity this summer then i would normally get, but no nights storms yet-no imports.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

sweet jesus. is it possible to get one cloudless day? just one. crystal clear early today but 90% cloud cover by 10.30......what a frickin surprise

good morning

Edited by reef
No need for such language

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

This summer has been average here. June was bang on average in all aspects, 5 days above 25c and 1 day above 30c (reached 31c, highest since that very hot month July 2006). July has been pretty rotten in the past week or two but that does not equal a poor summer. Obviously things have been a lot worse in Scotland and north-west England but when I see southerners complaining just because the temperatures aren't soaring above 30C really annoys me, this is Britain remember! whistling.gif Anyway, don't worry, winter will soon be hereunsure.gif

A lovely day here by the waydirol.gif

Edited by aaron

Posted

This cloud is getting on my nerves now. Why can't we just have one American style crystal clear blue sky day? wallbash.gif

Posted

This summer has been average here. June was bang on average in all aspects, 5 days above 25c and 1 day above 30c (reached 31c, highest since that very hot month July 2006). July has been pretty rotten in the past week or two but that does not equal a poor summer. Obviously things have been a lot worse in Scotland and north-west England but when I see southerners complaining just because the temperatures aren't soaring above 30C really annoys me, this is Britain remember! whistling.gif Anyway, don't worry, winter will soon be hereunsure.gif

This is "the whining thread", established presumably for the purpose of complaining. If you're happy with what this summer's had to offer thus far, why are you here?

Why not start a "let's hear it for the average british summer" thread?

Posted

I hope it's not me that has annoyed you, though I wouldn't complain just at temps not soaring above 30C. Though my rant yesterday may have been a bit OTT I was just feeling annoyed then.

June was wetter and a bit cooler than average here, July over 2C below average mean temp now, and I thought I would have been able to manage a day above 23C in the last 50 days here? most of the warmth has been 'avoiding' me. In my locality at least, the summer so far is worse than 2010, 2009 and possibly 2008. The overall verdict is of course pending what the rest of summer delivers. I thought last year wasn't too bad here, and June was nice.

Currently 18C, dull and cloudy here, though I'm glad some areas are having it better..

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I'd echo much of that - but don't think this summer has been as awful as 2008 or 2009. 2010 was much better in this area. It's amazing how different one county was from another - and Wiltshire was often on the edge of the bad weather which dogged the SW, particularly in 2009 when the SE had the 'BBQ summer' no-one else got.

It's still bad though and I'm getting frustrated - a couple of days in the 20's with sunshine would be great let alone 30's! I had a good June - but I was in Catalonia for much of it!! Sunshine has appeared but there has only been one day this month (the first Sunday) where we had the warmth and sun together - it's been sunny and cold or warmer and cloudy and/or wet otherwise. Not my idea of a decent summer.:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

sweet jesus. is it possible to get one cloudless day? just one. crystal clear early today but 90% cloud cover by 10.30......what a frickin surprise

this motherfudgin so called summer fellates crippled mules

good morning

yeah definitely, this airstream in winter (nov-Jan) would be cloudless in both our areas due to no convection, known as the laminate floory wishbone effect, my skies even in July are now cloudless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So looks like another summer month without a hot spell, next week looking crappy here, dull and damp on mon-tues, unsettled from west with rain on thurs 28th for my area

Tomorrow looks very sunny with just a little bit of cloud by evening! Tuesday looks like sunny spells with a few cloudier spells at times and to be fair the Midlands looks one of the best regions to be this week whilst the East and West battle with cloud at times. You would be here with some cloud but good sunny spells then elsewhere!

Its no where near as bad as you make it out to be. So its time to get outdoors and enjoy as I have done today. :D

Posted

Ok, I'm quite tolerant but this summer is seriously starting to grate with me! Things are actually getting worse here. Take this week for example and see my recorded maxima below:

Monday 14.9C

Tuesday 15.5C

Wednesday 15.5C

Thursday 14.9C

Friday 14.2C

Saturday 14.0C

Sunday 14.7C

It's an absolute shocker! Today is foul and mostly cloudy with a brisk and cold feeling wind. Useless summer weather. I started recording weather here from 1 June 2009 and here for comparison are the July figures...

July

Average max 2009 18.32C (6 days of 20C or above) (5 days of 15C or below)

Average max 2010 18.83C (10 days of 20C or above) (4 days of 15C or below)

Average max 2011* 16.71C (2 days of 20C or above) (7 days of 15C or below) * so far

Posted

Ok, I'm quite tolerant but this summer is seriously starting to grate with me! Things are actually getting worse here. Take this week for example and see my recorded maxima below:

Monday 14.9C

Tuesday 15.5C

Wednesday 15.5C

Thursday 14.9C

Friday 14.2C

Saturday 14.0C

Sunday 14.7C

It's an absolute shocker! Today is foul and mostly cloudy with a brisk and cold feeling wind. Useless summer weather. I started recording weather here from 1 June 2009 and here for comparison are the July figures...

July

Average max 2009 18.32C (6 days of 20C or above) (5 days of 15C or below)

Average max 2010 18.83C (10 days of 20C or above) (4 days of 15C or below)

Average max 2011* 16.71C (2 days of 20C or above) (7 days of 15C or below) * so far

You don't exactly live in a 'warmth prone' area. I wouldn't expect much from a Scottish summer anyway. You get your rewards in winter.

Posted

I'm not expecting 30C, just some pleasant days around 20C would be fine. Not unrealistic here in July. We do get a lot of snow though ;-)

Posted

Hmm I don't really hold much hope for this up coming spell. Lots of cloud and weak drizzly fronts at times, then ECM has sub-5C 850hpa temps down the west by 120 hours, then low pressure moves in. A bit disappointing really. Wish I could believe the GFS 18z's better picture but can't.