Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Good looking shower coming towards me now and looks to be intensifiying as it gets closer,should hit within the next 15 mins hopefully wont be a letdown

Posted

Had that one earlier very impressive ic/cg and deep rumbles of thunder.

Hi Paul, I'm glad you were able to confirm. As you say, it was quite an impressive storm indeed. The hail has stopped now, but there are still some good claps of thunder. My wife, who was out in it at the time, reported seeing cg lightning too :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm wondering if the GFS is wrong and East Anglia is going to stay bone dry yet again? Still plenty of time though. (Seriously, I'm starting to find this no-convection zone as annoying as those occasions on the Tyne and Wear coast where they get sea fog, other regions have sun, showers and thunder, and people come telling me how lucky I was to get the best of the weather!)

Posted

I'm wondering if the GFS is wrong and East Anglia is going to stay bone dry yet again? Still plenty of time though. (Seriously, I'm starting to find this no-convection zone as annoying as those occasions on the Tyne and Wear coast where they get sea fog, other regions have sun, showers and thunder, and people come telling me how lucky I was to get the best of the weather!)

Hi TWS,

I coudln't agree more, the number of Thunderstorms has dropped off a cliff since about 2007, and looking at the radar, it all fizzles as it approaches EA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Could hear thunder from Leeds direction at around 1pm from where i work on the Bradford/Leeds border.

I am hoping there is more to come as I finish work in half an hour and have camcorder in the car ready. I fear it is all over for here though now :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Having a thunderstorm here at this very moment. The hail shower is absolutely fantastic. I love this weather :D

Great news Brian :D

Nothing here as usual lol, so near yet so far on the radar grrrrrrrr ( one day maybe):lol:

Posted

That heavy shower (no thunder unfortunately) has brought a massive temperature drop. At 14:00 it was 17.9C and now just over half an hour later its only 11.8C. Very impressive!

It deposited 0.8mm of rain in total as the heaviest bursts just missed here.

Posted

Nothing here as usual lol, so near yet so far on the radar grrrrrrrr ( one day maybe):lol:

Great to hear Brain

you no alone Jane

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

All i can say is 31% chance of a storm so really was sheer luck. That will probably it for a while but at least i can leave the no storms club. Good luck to those hoping for a storm

Posted

Great to hear Brain

you no alone Jane

As always we miss out again Stu Lol,

Just having a moderate rain shower here now as I type after an afternoon of sunshine. Sadly no thunder.:cray:

Posted

Poor you :( If I were you I'd give it a few more weeks, then if nothing happens, I'd seriously consider moving to a different location. Please stay away from Yorkshire, though, as you might bring your jinx with you :lol:

Great to hear Brain

you no alone Jane

Cheers, Stu :D Sorry you've not seen any action today mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Poor you :( If I were you I'd give it a few more weeks, then if nothing happens, I'd seriously consider moving to a different location. Please stay away from Yorkshire, though, as you might bring your jinx with you :lol:

Oddly I don't feel I'm "jinxed" at the moment- more that Norwich seems to have become a dust-bowl. In December 2010 for instance, Norwich kept dodging the major snowfalls and Cleadon up in Tyne and Wear kept getting them, and when I went up to Cleadon for Christmas, the situation remained the same, so it clearly had nothing to do with me.

But when Cleadon (not usually a convection/thunder hotspot) keeps getting a lot more convection and even thunder activity than Norwich (traditionally one of the UK's thunder hotspots) even as we get into summer it starts to get embarrassing!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Cheers, Stu :D Sorry you've not seen any action today mate

:lol: I have plans to move to the country that has storms 364 days a year. I think they'd be pleased to see me there :lol:

Posted

I'd probably find a country with 364 thunder-days/year a bit too much overkill- for me there has to be a balance between starvation and over-exposure. I'd settle for "only" 40-50 thunder-days/year lol...

Posted

could this be another strom on the way........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Nothing here today, a few spits of rain but not enough to impact the ground.

Amazing how benign the climate is here, compared to even places like Liverpool!

Posted

The so called "storms" that we're forecast for here seem to be more persistent rain and not really stormy at all (Not complaining of course) ;)

Posted

:lol: I have plans to move to the country that has storms 364 days a year. I think they'd be pleased to see me there :lol:

Have you thought about moving to here?:

http://www.firstscience.com/site/articles/cornell.asp

Posted

http://www.firstscie...les/cornell.asp

You cold just imagine in about 100 years time Netweather storm chase to Jupiter....

Posted

I'd probably find a country with 364 thunder-days/year a bit too much overkill- for me there has to be a balance between starvation and over-exposure. I'd settle for "only" 40-50 thunder-days/year lol...

I guess at first it would be great and it would make up for all the lack of storms I haven't had but ... then after a year it would start to get really boring lol

http://www.firstscie...les/cornell.asp

:lol: Now that would certainly be interesting. Time to build a spaceship me thinks :D

Posted

You cold just imagine in about 100 years time Netweather storm chase to Jupiter....

That's a great suggestion, I'll put it to Paul :lol:

Anyway, Looking at the radar, the action seems to be over for my region today. Having said that, there is another cell that's just to my South West, but it seems to be weakening IMO

Posted

Still quite a few showers close to this area showing on the radar ,but as always they miss by a few miles :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Brilliant day so far,,,,,,,one of the best days for `cloudscapes` in a long time

Big fluffy white things convecting into anvils,,,,all against a lovely blue sky.

No TL but what the hey :pardon: .....time lapse heaven :clap:

Posted

Another band of showers is approaching Norwich but is fizzling as it approaches- looks like the GFS is wrong, unless the main "instability zone" pushes further east.