Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

My strike display down and cannot get any info on that area can anyone post images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Just having a rather big downpour, no thunder but temp at 9C! Very chilly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Taking a look at the convective possibiltys for friday(today)

interesting....:happy: now when i look at these charts and only these charts(not looked at other dat just yet..) then it does look quite good..

post-11361-0-90527600-1307665440_thumb.g

post-11361-0-19864100-1307665445_thumb.g

post-11361-0-71585400-1307665447_thumb.g

post-11361-0-52178200-1307665451_thumb.g

post-11361-0-58664300-1307665449_thumb.g

post-11361-0-60929400-1307665453_thumb.g

post-11361-0-86559000-1307665456_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

looking at the upper wind data-it does look interesting..

post-11361-0-94008900-1307666129_thumb.g

This text from Estofex..see link posted above..

quote"... UK ...

Mainly daytime driven thunderstorms beneath an upper low are forecast, as 500 hPa cool down to less than -25 °C. Low T-Td spread and more than 50 hPa 0-3 km CAPE indicate the risk for a few funnel/tornado events, especially along any persisting convergence zone. Thunderstorm coverage decreases rapidly after sunset."

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

looking at the upper wind data-it does look interesting..

post-11361-0-94008900-1307666129_thumb.g

This text from Estofex..see link posted above..

quote"... UK ...

Mainly daytime driven thunderstorms beneath an upper low are forecast, as 500 hPa cool down to less than -25 °C. Low T-Td spread and more than 50 hPa 0-3 km CAPE indicate the risk for a few funnel/tornado events, especially along any persisting convergence zone. Thunderstorm coverage decreases rapidly after sunset."

hi electric

hopefully we can get something on friday

lets hope they hit during the day

Posted

hi electric

hopefully we can get something on friday

lets hope they hit during the day

they are to develop during the day..:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just had a rumble of thunder about 15 minutes ago, there is some heavy showers approaching again and had a funnel tried developing to

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I think convergence zones will play a part in where the best storms occur today.

Posted

I have an English exam later today. If there's a thunderstorm between 12:30 and 14:30, I'll be very annoyed.

It would be Sod's Law though that this would happen. Oh well, at least if there's a storm I should hear thunder in the room I'm in... Hopefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

I have an English exam later today. If there's a thunderstorm between 12:30 and 14:30, I'll be very annoyed.

It would be Sod's Law though that this would happen. Oh well, at least if there's a storm I should hear thunder in the room I'm in... Hopefully.

ahh i was in the same situation as you this time last year. luckily, mother nature didnt produce a storm during exam time.

good luck with english exam. :)

doubt if anything in terms of storms will happen here along the sussex coast :/

Posted

It'd be brilliant if as soon as I walk out of the exam, there is distant thunder in the distance, like a reward. :whistling:

Thanks, I'm normally alright at English so I should be fine.

I think we should all keep an eye on developments today... you never know! :winky:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Best areas for thunderstorm development today I would say would be along the two likely convergence zones. One stretches along the Pennines before joining the other at its southward extent. The other stretches across the middle of the country from mid Wales out to the Wash.

If I was going to choose a members house to be at today it would be with TEITS at Peterborough!

There could also be a late afternoon convergence zone in SW Wales and Norfolk.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

I did during one of my Sats exams and then again during one of my GCSE's...was v distracting as I just wanted to be outside instead of inside a windowless sports hall! :cray:

Very good prospects today IMO :D Ironically, the Midlands, East Anglia, Southern England and South East England, which have been declared "drought" zones or verging on drought zones are likely to be the focus of the heaviest downpours today...always sods law though isn't it...it's never announced during the hot dry spell :D

Any particular reason?

Posted

Morning all,Anyone know what the chances are of me seeing a storm today? Been looking around the net and most sites i checked have me down for a chance but i was wondering what the experts on here think,any feedback much appreciated.

Posted

This is my view on the situation today...two key areas of focus IMO.

One is the notable convergence line lining up around the pennine routes then extending horizontally from around the Wash westwards. This in my view could give rise to sustained torrential downpours with a higher chance of thunderstorm activity/funnel clouds/tornadoes.

The second area of the interest is the trough progged by the MetO which is forecast to run across Southern England this afternoon. There is one expected to move through this morning which could trigger off some torrential downpours (expected to be sat across EA/SE corner by around lunchtime) - due to its early arrival, its unlikely to capitalise on daytime heating. The second however is expected to race in behind it, coinciding with peak CAPE in the order of 300-800 J/Kg with modest LI's of -2 to -3. This could potentially generate more organised downpours/thunderstorms, or even develop into a squall feature...should this happen, this would heighten funnel risk in addition to hail and lightning.

Anywhere though across England and Wales could see heavy/thundery downpours today, but I think the two areas in orange below would be the focus for any of the more 'exciting' activity

post-3790-0-04118000-1307692835_thumb.pn

Edited by Harry

Posted

Some fairly decent echoes already off the coast of Cornwall (SW Approaches in old language), wonder if this is associated with the area of instability mentioned by Harry?

All the ingredients are there for today. I shall be watching the Netweather radar with interest today :)

Posted

A heavy downpour here which is very surprising, because there is hardly any dark clouds around currently.

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Morning all,:)

I have high hopes for today. Already the clouds are building here which hopefully bodes for a good day.

I think almost anywhere might see something even if it's only a rumble of thunder.

An exciting day ahead :)

And..... good luck Johnny on your exam, hope you don't miss a storm, would be typical lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

As nobody has said it yet good luck with your exam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely warm sunshine this morning which is nice. Temperature already at 15C and rising in blue sky. However, towering congestus clouds with dark rain shadows to my west, running up the Bristol Channel. Looks like a good area here today for, if not thunderstorms, torrential downpours.