Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

im not complaining, i love the rain!

EDIt: its been raining here on and off since before 6

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Ah that looked a gooden! When was this Adi?

19 08 2005

The night Portsmouth collage on eastern road was struck by lightning. I was sat on the shore there and a strike hit the ground around 20 feet in front of me i saw lightning spider webbing up the beach towards me. The flash was so bright it completely over exposed the photo I was taking. I thought i was dead lol.

Posted

The CAPE from that night

gallery_1327_108_39240.jpg

and the Radar

gallery_1327_108_150930.jpg

Edited by Adi F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T-storms

isn't the predicted heavy rain by the MetO - what we've got over the S-E now ? ie moderate rain but not thundery :(

I don't think so - I guess that's going to be whatever is left from these storms over N. France right now... Actually, looking at satellite imagery, it's looking like they're getting quite close to the French coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

isn't the predicted heavy rain by the MetO - what we've got over the S-E now ? ie moderate rain but not thundery :(

Yes )

Posted

19 08 2005

The night Portsmouth collage on eastern road was struck by lightning. I was sat on the shore there and a strike hit the ground around 20 feet in front of me i saw lightning spider webbing up the beach towards me. The flash was so bright it completely over exposed the photo I was taking. I thought i was dead lol.

I remember that night! Just couldn't remember the date aha!

I think that was the night I was with friends on a night out at uni. Could remember the streets all around us had turned into rivers! Also heard about the college being struck on the news the next day! clap.gif

I don't think so - I guess that's going to be whatever is left from these storms over N. France right now... Actually, looking at satellite imagery, it's looking like they're getting quite close to the French coast.

the storms are still only just north of Paris no ?

Posted

I remember that night! Just couldn't remember the date aha!

I think that was the night I was with friends on a night out at uni. Could remember the streets all around us had turned into rivers! Also heard about the college being struck on the news the next day! clap.gif

I cant remember the exact figure but I think there were well over 100 building struck in Hampshire and a number of fires started by lightning. I miss judged the storm, i was expecting it to pass over Chichester Harbour but it came straight over Portsmouth. I walked over to Eastern Road to watch it and got caught out by it. I spent most the night crouched under the sea wall. I saw the collage get hit and a couple of lamp posts at the eastern road junction to the collage. Even saw an Ambulance get hit. It was one hell of a night. My wife was crapping herself because the power and mobile phones were knocked out and she realized I was out in it and could not get in contact with me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

the storms are still only just north of Paris no ?

All dying out now by the looks of things. I really advise those to not bother looking out for Thundery activity tonight imo. It will very likely come to nothing.

Posted

I cant remember the exact figure but I think there were well over 100 building struck in Hampshire and a number of fires started by lightning. I miss judged the storm, i was expecting it to pass over Chichester Harbour but it came straight over Portsmouth. I walked over to Eastern Road to watch it and got caught out by it. I spent most the night crouched under the sea wall. I saw the collage get hit and a couple of lamp posts at the eastern road junction to the collage. Even saw an Ambulance get hit. It was one hell of a night. My wife was crapping herself because the power and mobile phones were knocked out and she realized I was out in it and could not get in contact with me.

All night under a sea wall? I think everyone was caught out by surprise! I remember leaving guidhall around the early hours of the morning (as you do) and just seeing water everywhere with deafening bangs of thunder. As for the rain, I had never seen so much in my life. Just watching it bounce above your knee caps was crazy! Not 100% sure how I got home that evening, but all I could here was house and car alarms going off everywhere, it was like a scene from the war movies! (obviously without the flattened houses) whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

im moving to southampton in september, why couldn't that storm happen then? haha

Posted

2005 and 2006 were both great years for thunder storms. June 2005 saw the two most active storms since IofW Weather was formed. There were so many active thunder days in both years. I think I won the NW thunderstorm contest in 2005 but i cant remember the number of storms I had. I think it was in the mid to high 30s and most of the storms were very active, a lot more than now. Paul S might still have the records, I don't know.

Posted

Looking at the radar I don't see anything other than light drizzle coming up from France, more to come of what we have had all evening. And as for storms, No chance The best storms in Europe this evening have been in Germany and off the coast of Denmark.

Edited by Adi F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It amazes me how well storms generally seem to travel well into the North Sea with some distance yet from France into the UK across the channel its such a struggle and thats a small distance compared to the distance the storm in the North sea like right now is racking up. Its still very strong too!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

take alook at that lot out east!! not heading to our way :lazy:

image_b_uk.png?1307322862&n=1307322862628

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Tuesday looking good for heavy downpours and thunderstorms, heres a couple of charts, we are to take a closer look later on today-monday.

the storms being down western side of UK near the low pressure system.

post-11361-0-91948700-1307327661_thumb.g

post-11361-0-34288600-1307327665_thumb.g

post-11361-0-62423100-1307327668_thumb.g

post-11361-0-47009600-1307327671_thumb.g

of course their is also a hail risk to. tuesday could be a very convective day, but at this stage it does look like western side at risk.:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

yeah me too, it has rained almost continuely all night and now ive discovered my roof is leaking... :(