Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 3

Coast

Posted

noticed 3 things

1. this so far has been very boring.. and somebody joked yesterday "wouldnt it be funny if the north got all the action and south didnt"...hmmm

2. headaches gone!!

3. zzzzzzzzzz... COME ON!! ive re-installed a friends laptop waiting for all this to kick off... noticed cloud directions change, was sw/ne but now south to north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Yeah, but I think its all tied into that trough which is clearing away to the east. There's nothing on the radar now either.

The showers have been backbuilding to the west around the Seaham area. Becoming intense again. You say there is nothinbg on the radar but there actually is if you take it from not being IMBY... From Blyth to Peterlee there is activity in a north south line??

EDIT: and from Seaham south it has literally exploded!

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted

That activity in the northeast looks mean.

Can someone explain, whats MSC stand for?

You mean MCS?

That stands for multi cell (or cellular) storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Bit o f rain starting to fall over the Swindon area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Have you seen the rapid intensification off that cell between boro and sunderland never seen a shower grow that quickly, the showers are edgeing further south for some reason just another 30 miles please

Posted

I think so. If anything does crop up I doubt it'll top what we've already had anyway.

Well actually, in many ways, it won't take hard to top it off if I see any lightning in any future storms - Been a frustrating time for me regarding spring/summer storms, the 2 that appeared in successive days in May I could not see because the view to my West is obscured by houses. And when i do get one overhead, I get low cloud obsucring my view! But of course in terms of frequency regarding the thunder, its been a belter!

Paul-Michael - Out of interest, how much in the way of lightning did you see? Seeing as you live less than a mile away from me, It be interesting to compare.

Still distant rumbles of thunder now and the sun is trying to come out albeit even more hazy than it was.

Posted

Skies are clearing here now and there is a lot of altocumulus about for the first time today. DPs on my station have also jumped 3c in half an hour. Game on?

Posted

Going grey here. Hazey and cirrus clouds. Keeping them hopes alive with the prospect of something late night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

MCS - Mesoscale Convective System

Effectively, its a cluster of thunderstorms which merge together a become one larger storm with multiple updraughts.

Posted

Deja Vu in the New Forest/Salisbury plain area fellow CSE'ers? Could this attempt to create some home grown action actually work this time?

Posted

Have you seen the rapid intensification off that cell between boro and sunderland never seen a shower grow that quickly, the showers are edgeing further south for some reason just another 30 miles please

I know it's amazing! Those showers moving north around the Catterick area look like they are intensifying too...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I presume you mean MCS.

From Wikipedia:

A mesoscale convective system (MCS) is a complex of thunderstorms that becomes organized on a scale larger than the individual thunderstorms but smaller than extratropical cyclones.

Basically, it's multicell clusters and squall line type events...

Posted

FSXX00T_24.jpg

The cold front is expected to arrive in northern england at around midnight, I wonder if this might enhance our chance of a storm later this evening? TBH I don't think its looking too good for central england/south east now, I do think a Meso will push north from france tonight, but I think it may just be a kent clipper... dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I've spotted a cell or two firing across C/N France :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Went up in about ten minutes very impressive. Another humdinger for the NE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Appeared and went pow in 10 mins, someones getting a humdinger!

Edit: ^ lol

Edited by Joey.G

Posted

watching the radar and those storms near newcastle.. die very quickly soon as they hit the sea. incredible!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Speak for yourself! Doesn't look good for my location :crazy:

Posted

Well actually, in many ways, it won't take hard to top it off if I see any lightning in any future storms - Been a frustrating time for me regarding spring/summer storms, the 2 that appeared in successive days in May I could not see because the view to my West is obscured by houses. And when i do get one overhead, I get low cloud obsucring my view! But of course in terms of frequency regarding the thunder, its been a belter!

Paul-Michael - Out of interest, how much in the way of lightning did you see? Seeing as you live less than a mile away from me, It be interesting to compare.

Still distant rumbles of thunder now and the sun is trying to come out albeit even more hazy than it was.

Hi GS lightning acitivity about 3-4 strikes so not a huge amount when you compare the thunder! One strike was literally above me and shotgun thunder. Have you seen how the storms are developing? It has exploded around the Seaham area headed south towards Peterlee. I would go chase but could imagine the A19 blocked lol

Posted

If you want to see explosive development look at the Netweather radar between 16:20 and 16:25 just south of Sunderland in the NE :blink:

Would post a couple pics for people that don't have the NW radar but not sure if I'm allowed to.

A rather cool 17.6C and dropping here :rolleyes:

Edit: appears I was beaten too it.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Funny how i was so disappointed earlier when i heard England was going to get most of the action, especially given that its 12oC here in Aberdeen and you lot are hitting the highs of 30oC, yet you seem to be getting very little and most of it looks like its skirting up the east coast towards us...

Who'd have thought?????

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

Those ones in Northern Spain look like they're heading in the wrong direction, doesn't seem to be much northerly movement.