Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 3

Coast

Posted

I see Paul's stormchase feed has cut out. From the GPS looks as though he's stopped in the middle of nowhere.

GPS Looks to me like he is ploughing fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Huge raindrops now and constant thunder air has gone very strange! How is that storm stalled just south of me and is intensifying?? Massive shotgun thunder over me now and forked lightning. This is intense man, probably the most intense I have seen in years up here anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Quite a fresh breeze picking up as those storms move through! This could be the beginning of the end of the hot spell around here.

WOW really close cg strike! Thunder within 3 seconds!

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Hey a just Seen the Storms From newcastle.....Got a Question? im About 85 Miles North East of new castle in scotland are Those Showers heading North to us or back down south

many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I remmber that eve, gave a huge storm here about 9pm, lighting every 20secs, and town center flooded

And the rest! At around 11pm, I was to the West of it and it was kicking out lightning once every 2 seconds - it was immense!!

If you read the Estofex text, it reads very similar to that night only BETTER :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I see the lack of activity is making some people edgy and grumpy. Simply solution jump in your car and break a few speed limits up to the North east.

Posted

I now have the eve of work and would like your opinions on where if anywhere I should head to and wait as this is my first uk chase.

In Bournemouth at mo and need to be back here for 10pm really but could get my wife to take a taxi home if needs be this eve.

Is there any good view points you would recommend to watch the show unfold with in 2 or so hours of Bournemouth.

Also, I have no internet access from when I hit the road. I chased East coast Oz and used the wifi connection at Mc donalds, do they have same free wifi in this country or anyone know of other options.

I know there is no way of knowing if storms will def go but just want to know what / where you would head to in my situation.

Of home to pack the car now, thanks and good luck all.

Sorry to quote / repost my post but if possible would like a little help with where to head. Head to SE coast (brighton way) or nw towards london, or stay put.

I do need to be back for 10pm, my wife was not very keen to say the least when I said to get the bus home.

Thanks Dave

Posted

There some nice stuff moving up through Nantes, Rennes and towards Caen at the moment. Which I think has the SE's name on it this eve...

We have a problem here.. The mass of high cirro stratus from the french showers and storms, is as forecast, providing a heavy cap to any thunderstorm potential accross large parts of the UK. Bar the Far North east where the advancing cold front

is triggering some thundery showers here.

The overcast skies are limiting the surface heat rising to create storms. This often happens when thundery weather is forecast to arrive from a south westerly direction.

post-6128-0-02918300-1309186205_thumb.jp

Looking at the graphic, the cloud sheild from showers and storms further south, is activley ruining our chances of any major

or severe thunderstorms. As the cloud is shearing in the direction of movement of the thundery showers. Hence looking at the rradar there is precious little of intensity heading accross the channel or over France. What does develop over france is likely to scoot North east over Paris and may hit parts of Kent later today.

There is little sign of instability over Biscay heading NE towards us, and I fear this may be a bit of a let down for those expecting wild storms tonight. Had the whole shabang arrived on a southerly, I feel there would have been more chance of french imports heading North into the UK, with the Cold front slowed down.

I could be wrong, but lets take time to look at the current obs and synoptics. Temps peaked here an hour ago 30oC in Surrey

and have fallen now to 28oC. Very pleasant, But those tell tale signs, Altocumulus and Castellanus, are missing from the skies. Sorry for the thunder lovers here, but lets be objective here.

That said, things can spring out of nowhere sometimes and surprise us, so fingers crossed nevertheless.

Posted

I see the lack of activity is making some people edgy and grumpy. Simply solution jump in your car and break a few speed limits up to the North east.

You've got about 30-45 mins until they clear into the North Sea whistling.gif

Posted

Thats the problem with forums, any whiff of a storm and people sit in front of their computers all day and once their bum goes numb their brain soon follows. Its still very early yet.

A lot of people especially where I live wait even years for a good storm and so when they think they may be in with a chance then what do you expect. So then if you know so much you tell me, are we likely to get a storm up here? If not, then that's even longer to wait and you can see why it is disappointing to some people. Not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

GPS Looks to me like he is ploughing fields.

I think the signal dropped-out because he was away from any reception - he's headed east, past Leighton Buzzard as is nearing Luton and Dunstable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As predicted, some precip approach the SW at the moment! This could be what many in the SW/Midlands have been waiting for.

Definitely 'H'....I posted my thoughts on that earlier, some potential there will all that residual energy to tap into once they move over land, certainly some clearing skies over the SW, south wales, moving into the midlands, plenty of solar heating available for SB home growns :)

Had a few minutes of sun here a short while ago, and temps shot up from 23C to 27C in a matter of minutes, mid level convection on the increase here as well :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Quite a fresh breeze picking up as those storms move through! This could be the beginning of the end of the hot spell around here.

WOW really close cg strike! Thunder within 3 seconds!

I think it's probably to do with the storms creating their own circulation. The strengthened NE wind is why the "haar" has come further inland as the storms moved in (though presumably not as far as your location). I think cooler fresher air will move in by tomorrow but I don't think this stronger wind is associated with the change of airmass.

One pulse is evidently almost on top of Cleadon- skies are dark grey even when we get gaps in the North Sea murk, and it's actually starting to rain.

Posted

KABOOM 3 very loud cracks of thunder - its overhead again now, but no rain! Down to 18°C from 26°C less than an hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Still waiting patiently here the white cloud has just stuck overhead :rolleyes:

Posted

Its a classic case of a few people over ramping things. At this stage its down to watching www.sat24.com for cloud formation

and development, and also the radars. Have to admit, things looking very mediocre at present. Had a few spots here but nothing else. :(

Posted

Huge raindrops now and constant thunder air has gone very strange! How is that storm stalled just south of me and is intensifying?? Massive shotgun thunder over me now and forked lightning. This is intense man, probably the most intense I have seen in years up here anyway!

Frustrating, I can't see any lightning but the thunder is fantastic, I wonder if the low cloud is over me thus I can't see flashes. Will keep looking though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sorry to quote / repost my post but if possible would like a little help with where to head. Head to SE coast (brighton way) or nw towards london, or stay put.

I do need to be back for 10pm, my wife was not very keen to say the least when I said to get the bus home.

Thanks Dave

I am currently having the same dilemma Dave! I will wait until around 7pm before I make a decision. IF it goes to plan and we see the first storms erupt across CS England over towards the SE, then HOPEFULLY by placing ourselves towards the coast and what with sunlight fading a short while after, we should get to see the storms developing and lining up before being emmersed in shear ecstacy and electricity...that's the plan anyway :D

Posted

Its a classic case of a few people over ramping things. At this stage its down to watching www.sat24.com for cloud formation

and development, and also the radars. Have to admit, things looking very mediocre at present. Had a few spots here but nothing else. :(

Didn't you say the same when you were accusing members of over ramping the max temps. What was it you predicted today PE? 21-24C!

Posted

We have a problem here.. The mass of high cirro stratus from the french showers and storms, is as forecast, providing a heavy cap to any thunderstorm potential accross large parts of the UK. Bar the Far North east where the advancing cold front

is triggering some thundery showers here.

The overcast skies are limiting the surface heat rising to create storms. This often happens when thundery weather is forecast to arrive from a south westerly direction.

post-6128-0-02918300-1309186205_thumb.jp

Looking at the graphic, the cloud sheild from showers and storms further south, is activley ruining our chances of any major

or severe thunderstorms. As the cloud is shearing in the direction of movement of the thundery showers. Hence looking at the rradar there is precious little of intensity heading accross the channel or over France. What does develop over france is likely to scoot North east over Paris and may hit parts of Kent later today.

There is little sign of instability over Biscay heading NE towards us, and I fear this may be a bit of a let down for those expecting wild storms tonight. Had the whole shabang arrived on a southerly, I feel there would have been more chance of french imports heading North into the UK, with the Cold front slowed down.

I could be wrong, but lets take time to look at the current obs and synoptics. Temps peaked here an hour ago 30oC in Surrey

and have fallen now to 28oC. Very pleasant, But those tell tale signs, Altocumulus and Castellanus, are missing from the skies. Sorry for the thunder lovers here, but lets be objective here.

That said, things can spring out of nowhere sometimes and surprise us, so fingers crossed nevertheless.

What about the cold front?? That will get things going across the SE surely?? (when it arrives).

Posted

Is it me or does it look like the possible MCS moving out of the Bay Biscay and into North France may just be a Kent clipper or is it supposed to take a more northerly route later?

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Hazy skies starting to approach but slowly, it's been clear blue all day!

Unlucky surrey :lol: :lol:

Posted

KABOOM 3 very loud cracks of thunder - its overhead again now, but no rain! Down to 18°C from 26°C less than an hour ago.

Some loud booms of thunder here too, but it's really not overhead here...seems to be going around me, as per usual.

The storms seem to have developed on the eastern periphery of the Pennines and moved NE. I'm not sure if there will be anymore for the day.