Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

25th into 26th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Jane does it count if i leave Bristol and go further south and see a storm?Or to leave the NSC it has to be in my home city?

Hi Raidansmile.png

A storm has to be where you're home is and where you reside the most and I'm sure Phil will clarify me on this.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Amazing to think how we have missed out on the heavy rain here in sussex yet again. went west and north of us again.If this had been snow I would be seriously cheesed off by nowlaugh.png

REALLY ?? I'm in Mile Oak, and it was tipping it down earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Its been nice here all day. Lots of bubbly cumulus about but so far I haven't had any rain. Most of the showers seem too far west today across the River Severn for me to catch anything. Although if the low starts edging closer I'll soon be within the firing line.

A met office weather watch has been issued for SW England (Only Cornwall and Devon so far) and SW Wales for this evening & tonight with "slow moving heavy and thundery showers"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not surprised that there were a few sferics in the far north of Norfolk- the rainstorm over Norwich was associated with a large cluster of cumulonimbus clouds which seemed to be growing/intensifying. It was quite dramatic but I didn't notice any thunder, so presumably the electrification set in a fair way to the north of Norwich.

Posted

A met office weather watch has been issued for SW England (Only Cornwall and Devon so far) and SW Wales for this evening & tonight with "slow moving heavy and thundery showers"

Ooh I like the sound of that. Lots of convection around here - some jet black anvils earlier this morning near Wadebridge with some very hefty showers. Not quite as vigorous back home but very interesting cloudscapes nonetheless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Thunderstorm here in Cardiff. Very heavy rain and hail. First storm I've seen this year. 10mm of rain acording to my weather station in about 5mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If the BBC rainfall graphics are correct then it will be a thoroughly wet night across the SE and EA tonight. BBC graphics show a warm front to our west and cold front to our east (go figure!)...does feel like we're in a warm sector which will help if we are to see any lightning tonight.

MetO saying potentially up to 50mm of rain locally.....like Monday night :D

Posted

Have a question for you guys...slightly OT but not really.

When using the nowcast lightning detector i notice there are say..3 strikes per min and 2 noises per min..

http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/

My question is what is a 'noise' ? per minute..

Cheers for any replies.

Posted

MetO saying potentially up to 50mm of rain locally.....like Monday night biggrin.png

GFS about the same:

Rtavn244.png

A lot of it appears to be happening tomorrow morning first thing:

rain1.curr.0800lst.d2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Menacing skies to the south-west of Hereford at the minute. Not getting to excited as many times this summer we've been so close, yet so far!

The storm intensified massively over Cardiff looking at netweather extra radar. Tipped down with hail, frequent lightining. Skies darkening to the SW again after a breif period of sun. It's coming straight at you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Looking interesting around the Bristol Channel.

Posted

The storm intensified massively over Cardiff looking at netweather extra radar. Tipped down with hail, frequent lightining. Skies darkening to the SW again after a breif period of sun. It's coming straight at you!

Hope so, but no doubt the mountains will kill it off for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yes can confirm the storm in Cardiff my daughter has yet again alerted me nonono.gif

I do hope it's heading East.drunk.gif

Posted

Getting cloudier here now but sun still out. Not quite the thundery showers that we're forecast (and I do expect the main beasties in ireland and wales to lose their oomph as they keep pushing in whatever direction they heading in) Anything like that lightning display last night would be amazing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Great storm in Cardiff around 4pm - Hail, torrential rain and frequent thunder and lightning! At last my first storm of the year! As it passed through the thunder became more frequent and was rumbling for quite a while! Just hope there's more to come! Mother also reported torrential rain and a rumble of thunder up in North West Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Great storm in Cardiff around 4pm - Hail, torrential rain and frequent thunder and lightning! At last my first storm of the year! As it passed through the thunder became more frequent and was rumbling for quite a while! Just hope there's more to come! Mother also reported torrential rain and a rumble of thunder up in North West Wales.

I am gutted it didn't turn thundery when it was around me, all I got from it was some heavy rain! I hope I will see something thundery thisevening/tomorrow!

Posted
Anything like that lightning display last night would be amazing

Did i miss summat ? im not that far from you .. i know there was thunder in Kirtintilloch yesterday..but was this night time ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Birds have stopped singing and the wind has picked up,getting quite excited now,hopefully it's not for nothing,going out to get a better view.

Nearest rain currently on radar is in the channel heading for S/SE Wales. Although something could develop here I guess. Gone grey outside here now but still bright.

If that low tracks a little further east those showers will enter more of W England..

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Have a question for you guys...slightly OT but not really.

When using the nowcast lightning detector i notice there are say..3 strikes per min and 2 noises per min..

http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/

My question is what is a 'noise' ? per minute..

Cheers for any replies.

I could be completely wrong but I think it's precipitation.

(They offer a free 24 hour trial of strike display also by the way)

Edit: actually not sure I thought it was refering to precipitation fields but it might be measuring some sort of interference pardon.gif

Edited by Lancashire Lass