Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2011/2012

Posted

Don't know is it has any relevance at all but if nature is anything to go by, my berry bushes/trees and my hazelnut tree in my garden have all produced much more fruits and nuts than I have ever seen before this year??

None at all. Nature is reactive not proactive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Don't know is it has any relevance at all but if nature is anything to go by, my berry bushes/trees and my hazelnut tree in my garden have all produced much more fruits and nuts than I have ever seen before this year??

As others have said, no. But weather folklore is fun, 'Snow and Ice to hold a duck' etc. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hmm but energy companies may long range forecast. Rates up in September so ready for a nice cold spell. Cynical me? No.

Seriously though when did temps start dropping last year I cant remember wasn't it november?

Posted

There were a few notable cold nights in October, and snow in Aberdeen. But that was brief, as it was a warm start to November. It wasn't until late November (20th onwards) when the cold started to set in across Scotland and north-east England.

Posted

That's the response of your fruit/nut bushes/trees to last winter, not a forecast for this winter. Nature doesn't do long-range forecasts!

yes it does, a squirrel told me today...

Posted

I believe that nature is more proactive than you think. I do not recall seeing squirrels collecting nuts prior to the warmer winters of the past. I've been noticing these things more and more recently. Is it just me?

Posted

I am almost 60 years older than you and have yet to see snowfall in October!

Surprised by this

Saw snow on the 30th October 2000 from the retreating intense low at that was at virtually sea level. Remember seeing lying snow on the Pennines behind Manchester at the back end of October 1992.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

I believe that nature is more proactive than you think. I do not recall seeing squirrels collecting nuts prior to the warmer winters of the past. I've been noticing these things more and more recently. Is it just me?

yes... it is just you...

they did it when you weren't looking!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I agree with you there - in 2008 parts of the midlands and the SE had snow at the end of October, but that was the first lying low level October snow for many decades I think. It's just more newspaper hype and story making, when in reality it would probably be on high ground and/or localised if we got a cold October.

It may have been the first in decades for your location however i also saw snow in October 2000, there was also a NW last October which produced snow over northern Britain.

Posted

yes... it is just you...

they did it when you weren't looking!

I'm with him: you just didn't notice! The tree rats start collecting winter stores as soon as they're ripe. You might not have seen it as you weren't lurking in the tree-tops.

Posted

Surprised by this

Saw snow on the 30th October 2000 from the retreating intense low at that was at virtually sea level. Remember seeing lying snow on the Pennines behind Manchester at the back end of October 1992.

I honestly do not remember seeing snow here since I moved here in May 1991(that is in October), but I will check my stats. I am often seen to post that our memories are not too good at times re weather events!

I certainly saw snow in October in other areas where I lived, one in the mid/late 60's in particular. We were visiting my parents, near Chesterfield, 450ft asl, heavy rain turned to snow and around 6 inches fell, even more over the Peak, TM=?. Descending from above Chapel en le Frith the snow line was the most perfect straight line I have ever seen at home or abroad. One side 6+ inches of snow the other water 2-3 inches deep running down the road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Don't want to brag or anything but I'm only 18, yet I've seen snow 3-4 times in October down in Hertfordshire, 2/3 of the four occasions it didn't settle

Edited by Paul Carter

Posted

I've more than likely seen snow in October, but I've not always bee as interested in weather as I am nowadays, so probably don't recall it.

In fact, yes, there was snow here in October 2000.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

What I'd like to see, in the context of today's Express headline (an almost virtual identical version of which then appeared on the Mail's w/s*ite).

How much of Paul M's quote was taken in context? It didn't support their "snow in early October" rant, but was used to do so.

Edited by crepuscular ray

We did have lying snow at the end of October 2009 and in the last few years there has been more snow in November than what I can recall - back in the days of yore the earliest I recall lying snow would have been on 18.11.1965.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

Quite a few places up and down the country had snow in late October 2008. Nothing significant but there was even a flurry or two here and some lying snow to low levels inland. Nothing very significant though.

Did London not have it's first October snow for many years also?

In London snow settled (although very thinly and temporarily) on the outskirts on the 28th of October 2008 and if I can remember, this was the first time since 1945.

We only had a few very light flurries, barely enough to settle, but I can remember it being very cold for the time of year!

Posted

Who the hell has a BBQ at Christmas time in this country? We struggle to have BBQs during the summer season!

I had a BBQ lit and ready to go Christmas Day 1995 in NW Sutherland, the power came back on though so the food went in the oven instead - boring! smiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

im sure there was an early cold spell in september last year? then a warm up in october and bees came out, before the cold set in? anyway about the squirrels, last year they went mad collecting and burying nuts, i think they do know something, i had read they bury more nuts to have a supply thats greater then would otherwise be needed because harsh cold kills of other types of food resources that they would have access to during a warmer winter. that makes sense!

Posted

I had a BBQ lit and ready to go Christmas Day 1995 in NW Sutherland, the power came back on though so the food went in the oven instead - boring! smiliz39.gif

Thats class having a barbi on christmas day. you should have gone ahead with it. I wouldacute.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

In case anyone hasn't seent this makes an interesting read if nothing else.... Oh It's by the Bast Ardi ;-) Another member had posted it on MM..

http://icecap.us/images/uploads/La_Nina_Reprise_Implications_on_Upcoming_Winter_Globally.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

saw heavy snow, half term tuesday 28th 0ct 08, but fell after rain, also heavy wet snow on 30th 0ct 00, never had lying snow in 0ct