Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia In The UK - Chat Thread 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

South coast reporting gusts of over 50mph. Winds have eased off abit here, they where quite gusty around 11.30.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That gust just then was a whopping 9.2mph... Wow. North West England.You fail.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well you would insist on having too much wine.

I can't see straight either *hiccup* ;)

That gust just then was a whopping 9.2mph... Wow. North West England.You fail.

Not failing here but I suppose I am more the far NW England, gusts getting on for 70mph :)

Posted

So we've now established leicester has a wind shield too !

Definitely the safest place to live in the UK weather wise blum.gif

Didnt do too bad here (Near Peterborough) not so far from you, my weather station recorded a max gust of 65.7 mph. still getting gusts between 30 - 45 mph

Posted

I can't see straight either *hiccup* tease.gif

Not failing here but I suppose I am more the far NW England, gusts getting on for 70mph smile.png

You're in North West North West England. :D

Posted

Biggest official gust of the day so far seems to be Capel Curig at 79 mph at 8.00am with sustained winds of 52 mph

Posted

Wind still seems to be picking up here a little. The house is surrounded by a wood with the tops of the trees giving a merry dance. No equipment to measure wind and pressure other than one of my daughters ipods which shows winds in Dunblane (7 miles south) at 16 mph with pressure at 981mb and temperature at 57. I am now hoping Santa may bring me a weather station for my Christmas smiliz34.gif

I am being told that the worst of the wind will occur between 3pm and 9pm. Still pouring with rain with the River Knaik and Allan Water about to merge into one large river. The rivers are seperated at one point by a 10 foot bank with the water very close to the top now. This can happen regularly but I have yet to see both merge, maybe today is the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I doubt 40mph gusts are occurring in towns in the southern areas, but certainly out in the open it's possible.

I'm going to post a video of the wind at the coast in a little while.

Posted

Just been in my garden to check my barometre and strongest gust recorded so far was 46mph, I'm quite impressed with that I'm guessing that was around 11am when we had the strongest winds, they've just started picking up again just had a gust must have been approaching 40mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Someone was telling me the other day that 40-50mph is not enough to bring down trees....I caved in a conceded that 40-50mph was a bit of an exaggeration.....apparently not as it turns out....hahahahah in yooooouuuurrrrr faaacceee!!! Mwahahahahaha!!! rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

(sorry couldn't resist a wee bit of light heartedness)

Edited by Harry

Posted

Oh my God! A 24mph gust just now. Where am I?! Wait... oh. Still in NW England. My bad everyone.

Posted

I doubt 40mph gusts are occurring in towns in the southern areas, but certainly out in the open it's possible.

I'm going to post a video of the wind at the coast in a little while.

Well we are in a town and we've had 46mph, having said that we are on top of a hill.

Posted

Someone was telling me the other day that 40-50mph is not enough to bring down trees....I caved in a conceded that 40-50mph was a bit of an exaggeration.....apparently not as it turns out....hahahahah in yooooouuuurrrrr faaacceee!!! Mwahahahahaha!!! rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

(sorry couldn't resist a wee bit of light heartedness)

50mph is enougth to bring down small trees in full leaf but 40mph is only enougth to maybe snap the odd branch off but even thats rare at 40mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

40mph could bring a tree down fairly promptly I think, give the soil is fairly wet.

I think there is a tendency to overexaggerate winds, for example a 35-40mph can certainly knock someone unsteady. 50mph wind and you're really struggling to stand still, 70mph and there is a chance of being taken off the ground, momentarily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nearest official obvs has 45mph mean speeds south of my location at St Bees head, it's been steadily increasing this afternoon.

You have to hold onto the wall outside to keep steady and the gusts take your breath away.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

A video I shot on the coast, mean speeds were roughly about 45-50mph. I was really struggling to stand up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

For anyone who hasn't seen it - some great live streamed footage online currently:

http://www.netweathe...herevents;sess=

Would love to watch it, however it doesnt load in firefox and keeps showing a blank 20 second advert over and over in chrome :(

Posted

Wind still seems to be picking up here a little. The house is surrounded by a wood with the tops of the trees giving a merry dance. No equipment to measure wind and pressure other than one of my daughters ipods which shows winds in Dunblane (7 miles south) at 16 mph with pressure at 981mb and temperature at 57. I am now hoping Santa may bring me a weather station for my Christmas smiliz34.gif

I am being told that the worst of the wind will occur between 3pm and 9pm. Still pouring with rain with the River Knaik and Allan Water about to merge into one large river. The rivers are seperated at one point by a 10 foot bank with the water very close to the top now. This can happen regularly but I have yet to see both merge, maybe today is the day.

Hi Maitland, you've just tempted me, a keen kayaker, to go on the school run early, to have a look at the Allan in town.

Quite windy here but nothing dramatic so far.

Anyone noticed the tightning of the isobars on the XCweather pressure map just SW of the low centre, is that the main event for us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Very strong gusts here atm , battening down the hatches for the next few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

For anyone who hasn't seen it - some great live streamed footage online currently:

http://www.netweathe...herevents;sess=

Thanks for the link. Looking very rough. I see there's some egits playing dodge the waves rolleyes.gif

Posted

Well i'm back from the adventure outside, got some HD footage of the reservoir being churned up by the gusts. Aswell as some footage standing atop of Hawkhurst Head close to the Whaley Moor summit. Sustained winds of around 20/30mph with frequent gusts of +50mph hitting in both places. Made standing very difficult at times, but luckily it seems most of the town is being sheltered from the hill, bar the reservoir 'gap' acting like a funnel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Was wondering if a separate thread should be opened to cover what is approaching the UK from the South West?