Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective weather - 2nd-3rd November 2011

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The clue is in what you just said....moderate RISK! That should not be solely translated as there is a moderate risk of a thunderstorm occurring (i.e it is likely or very likely). It means that where storms do occur (IF they do) the ingredients are there for them to turn moderately severe; large hail, strong wind gusts, tornadoes, potentially frequent CG lightning or a combination of those.

It's like this....imagine you have a keg containing 100g of gun powder. The next contains 1kg, the next 10kg and the next 100kg. There is a small risk (say 10%) that a spark may occur. Do you give the same degree of warning for each keg or amend the warning to suit to the potential outcome? The 100g keg may cause surprise, where as the 100kg keg could be devastating!

The conditions today (and which still are above our heads) are for a keg to go up somewhere between the 1kg to 10kg. Just because no storms eventually develop does not mean the warning wasn't warranted.

In other words then, you either get a storm, or you don't get a storm.

Posted

Redditch funnel cloud reported and flooding, tornado in Worcester, flooding in Brighton. The situation how it stands currently resulting from this afternoons storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Naff all here.....grrrrrr!!!

See guys, another person who hasn't had anything!

Proof right here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Haven't had any thunderstorms today, in fact it's been dry since 2pm and became sunny. Nice to see some hefty downpours which led to 14mm in the guage but nothing exceptional.

Fingers crossed once more tonight and tomorrow. Perhaps the chances will be better then?

Posted

Makes me laugh all this moaning when the south east are getting their first storms of the year!

what do u mean first.. ive had quite a few here this year

Posted

We have had five flashes of lightening and thunder, yet nothing on the net-weather radar!!!

I was in Leeds last week when they also had a storm. Mind you, my Son-in-law thought the neighbours were bringing in their bins!! lol.

Posted

Am I looking at the right thing Paul, a hook echo on the SE flank of that cell?....If so, it's quite pronounced and has lasted for about 20 mins so far

Yes, Cell is dying off now but had a pronounced hook for about 20-30 minutes as it came ashore West of Bournemouth.

Looked bloody tasty to me, the line through hastings looks more like the tail end of a squall line trying to form and push North North East

Posted

I honestly do not think that today diserved a MODERATE RISK for storms.

More like a SLIGHT RISK maybe?

you sound a highly knowledgeable poster-perhaps you could explain why you think it only rated a slight risk, and is that just for your street or are you talking about the area quoted in the warnings?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Reports that Rain/Hail hit 230mm/hr just to my East and South this afternoon! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I understand what a risk means.

What I don't get is that there have been times when there were virtually no warnings at all, in fact not even a SLIGHT RISK. And yet we had really heavy rain and close frequent cloud to ground and therefore dangerous lightning. That day deserved a MODERATE RISK.

How about you pop over to the No storms club and vent your anger there!! That's why it's there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Am I looking at the right thing Paul, a hook echo on the SE flank of that cell?....If so, it's quite pronounced and has lasted for about 20 mins so far

That cell passed right over me. Just heavy rain .. slight inflow, but nothing remotely tornadic about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Proof right here.

A handful of people on a weather forum out of 63 million? Also no-one as far as I know said it would be widespread?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Proof right here.

That's just unfortunate for me....people just a few miles from me have and at present only isolated occurrences.

In other words then, you either get a storm, or you don't get a storm.

Correct - however, severe risk zones on storm forecast maps should not be translated to 'likelihood of a storm'.

There could be a very slim chance of a storm across Area A, say for example due to a robust 'cap' being in place. IF the cap breaks, the storm could be supercellular and destructive. This would warrant, in terms of severity, a Moderate/High risk.

In Area B however, there is a VERY HIGH risk of a storm, but due to atmospheric conditions they are very unlikely to be severe. Therefore, a 'Slight' risk wouldn't even be warranted.

Area A however, despite being under a 'Mod/High' risk, may not see anything whatsoever, while Area B may be affected by several thunderstorms.

Posted

Haven't had any thunderstorms today, in fact it's been dry since 2pm and became sunny. Nice to see some hefty downpours which led to 14mm in the guage but nothing exceptional.

Fingers crossed once more tonight and tomorrow. Perhaps the chances will be better then?

I do hope so MPR.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That cell passed right over me. Just heavy rain .. slight inflow, but nothing remotely tornadic about it.

Cheers for the report, shame it didn't look like producing in the flesh, so to speak, certainly looked interesting on radar as Paul posted

Posted

Proof right here.

We'll try and organise the weather a little differently for you next time...... :winky:

Posted

Clear here now, and with a light breeze nothing of note to report!

Can see some distant wisps of Cirrus and Cumulus. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Very active topic! Brill to read through :)

As a northeasterner- I'm hopeful for at least some torrential rain, but in a rPm airmass with synoptics like this, the atmosphere in it's current shape- maybe the odd bit of thunder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This thread should have a banner across the top of it saying 'Due to the moronic nature of some of the posts, Netweather advises that we are not responsible for any damage to PC screens, read at your own RISK'

Whether that be a SLIGHT, MODERATE or SEVERE risk, you decide :rolleyes:

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Strong pluse working up nerar Brentwood right now, looks like its only just blown up in the last 10-20 minutes.

Quite a bit of distant thunder coming from that direction.

I think some people need to be reminded that weather forecasts are not written personally for them or the air directly above their house.

Edited by Noctilucid

Posted

Cheers for the report, shame it didn't look like producing in the flesh, so to speak, certainly looked interesting on radar as Paul posted

Down in Bmouth and was some fairly strong looking convection, enough to get me excited anyway.

Looks like there is some fairly strong cells crossing the channel now and seem to be heading towards Bmouth. Prob hit just as I head to work in 1/2 hr, on my pushbike :( along the coast road :)

Edited by dave reid