Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties And East Anglia Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

I think that these posts illustrate the marginality of the snow event, as does my journey into work in London. Even walking to the station a drop of no more than 15 metres or so saw the snow a lot wetter than slushier than at my house where when I left at 7.45 it was just settling on concrete having done so on grass overnight.

The snow thickened somewhat around Baldock/ Letchworth but by the time I got to Potter's Bar there was virtually none. Just turned to sleet in the City.

Posted

Eased here now, and ground appears too warm for settling apart from on grass. A shame we haven't had a few weeks of hard frosts first.

Posted

Done and dusted with it here now - already melting now that the falling snow has eased, though not completely. Now the best kind of snow - slushy wet and muddy really, but a lovely surprise of 3cms given that we usually fair badly in marginal events!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Still lashing it down with rain here in Peterborough! :( Xxx

Same here in Norwich. :(

Posted

And Wisbech :-(, must be an A47 snow shield!

Good to see the Norfolk snow shield in full action again. Must be 20 years ago Norwich has seen significant snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

My front garden...............

post-10773-0-77689100-1324035627_thumb.j

.......the week before Christmas (last year) :lol:

Oh well, the little bit we've had this morning seems to be sticking around surprisingly and the temperature is slow to rise, it's only 2°C here with a very icy wind!

Plenty of winter still to come so hopefully we will all see a lot more white stuff yet (even those that missed out this time) :w00t:

Posted

Well I didn't see one single snowflake although to be fair I wasn't always watching as I didn't expect much. For those wondering why some see snow and others rain its because in the N of this region dewpoints were 2C but further S they were 0C.

Posted

A frustrating place to live agree!!!

I remember several falls of snow in the 80s and 90s in Norfolk and after I left Norfolk in 1996 there were a number of heavy falls (the result of northerly winds, frequent showers) that got to about Wymondham and then fizzled out during the 2000s when it was practically completely snowless in inland 'East Anglia'. You are just going through a bit of a drought of late (I know 09/10 and 10/11 were not as good as here for instance).

Well this snowwatch has been fun - heres to the next one -may be a few wintry showers tonight/this weekend but goodness knows when the next snow event will be, no sign on any models - so maybe mid Jan earliest?

Edited by weatherwise

Posted

I remember several falls of snow in the 80s and 90s in Norfolk and after I left Norfolk in 1996 there were a number of heavy falls (the result of northerly winds, frequent showers) that got to about Wymondham and then fizzled out during the 2000s when it was practically completely snowless in inland 'East Anglia'. You are just going through a bit of a drought of late (I know 09/10 and 10/11 were not as good as here for instance).

Well this snowwatch has been fun - heres to the next one -may be a few wintry showers tonight/this weekend but goodness knows when the next snow event will be, no sign on any models - so maybe mid Jan earliest?

Spoke to soon

Its snowing now, not lying though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Never say never....The models certainly werent predicting this 2 weeks ago, so who knows...Heres hoping we get something interesting

Posted

Good to see the Norfolk snow shield in full action again. Must be 20 years ago Norwich has seen significant snowfall.

There was significant snowfall in Norfolk as recently as Jan 2010, so not sure where you are coming from?

Currently snowing in Beccles which is a nice surprise.

We saw some good falls in 2008, 2009 (Norfolk) and bucket loads in Jan 2010, so better than you suggest.

Edited by ribster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We had steady, but wet snow ever since 8 am — it's still lying on the verges and places where the ground was still cold from the frosts of a couple of nights ago. Good to see snow before Christmas, like it's getting its hand in for January/February.

Posted

We had steady, but wet snow ever since 8 am — it's still lying on the verges and places where the ground was still cold from the frosts of a couple of nights ago. Good to see snow before Christmas, like it's getting its hand in for January/February.

Its now snowed here 5-10 days before Christmas for the last 3 years - nothing like last year of course when we still had a few inches on the ground on the big day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter / snow

It's currently 1.3c and snow/sleet/rain, it's not going to settle but nice to see out the window, did not expect to see it today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It looks like for most of us in this region the excitement of snow has passed for now but please be aware there are still warnings out for ice...

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

valid from 1500 Fri 16 Dec to 1000 Mon 19 Dec

Yellow Warning of Ice for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

valid from 1500 Fri 16 Dec to 1000 Mon 19 Dec

.....so if your rushing around doing pre Christmas stuff take extra care on the roads and paths !

Posted

Nothing but rain here today but nevermind, glad that many people saw snow. Can anyone tell me if those showers out in the north sea will keep moving south into East Anglia?