IGNORED

3 Counties And East Anglia Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Very calm and still at the moment. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by silver line

Posted

yeah u are about 40 miles further south than me so u have a better chance

Im not sure just looked at the weather for Garston on MetOffice & I dont even have snow at 6am, it says rain, sleet at 9am and light snow at 12 :(

Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted

Im not sure just looked at the weather for Garston on MetOffice & I dont even have snow at 6am, it says rain, sleet at 9am and light snow at 12 :(

Thats because thats what the latest models show - they (the auto forecasts on MO website) run direct off the NAE (links elsewhere in this thread) and UKMO/ ECM for longer term.

Posted

Im sure it's sleeting here, but Im not sure, I bet my eyes are deceiving me lol, anyway i'm already looking in the lamposts!

Lol its possible I guess, as much as everybody has been saying thats not possible till the early hours. Do you have any local weather station details?

2.1 Air Temp here with 0.6 Dew point here, expect this to rise as the precip arrives though.

Edited by Hughsey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

Evening All,

I have been reading the post on the website for a few days now and it seems very intresting times are ahead.

On the Herts, Essex boarder it currently 4.5c (a rise of 0.5c in the last hour).

When do we think the snow will turn up toinght/tomorrow in our area?

Do you think the temp's (air, etc...) will be to high for snow in our area?

Intrested in your thoughts?

MagicBat

Posted

18z NAE much better for snowfall prospects for this region:

11121612_2_1518.gif

It has pushed things further northwards (I had suspected, as posted in the SW england thread earlier, that things were going a bit too far south - the NAE did exactly the same thing with the mid december channel shortwave last year, correcting northward at the last moments)

Even then, the northward extent of the precip observed at 2100GMT is about 20 miles further north than projected even by the 18z NAE for that timeframe - so there or there abouts I would say now with the track on the NAE.

SK

Posted

I thought there was a few snowflakes here although St. Albans is on higher ground, Hughsey Im not sure weather station details, where do i find them? Also if the models have edged it further North, is that a better set up for ALL of our region?

Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted

just raining here atm ,if anyone is interested this is the stats for today ,i think lol

Average temperature = 5.0°C

Average humidity = 90%

Average dewpoint = 3.4°C

Average barometer = 996.9 mb

Average windspeed = 1.1 mph

Average gustspeed = 4.1 mph

Average direction = 244° (WSW)

Rainfall for month = 0.00 in.

Rainfall for year = 10.44 in.

Rainfall for day = 0.00 in.

Maximum rain per minute = 0.01 in. on day 15 at time 21:26

Maximum temperature = 8.0°C on day 15 at time 13:54

Minimum temperature = 1.5°C on day 15 at time 00:15

Maximum humidity = 99% on day 15 at time 07:08

Minimum humidity = 81% on day 15 at time 14:24

Maximum dewpoint = 5.3°C on day 15 at time 07:08

Minimum dewpoint = 1.2°C on day 15 at time 0:03

Maximum pressure = 1001.2 mb on day 15 at time 16:48

Minimum pressure = 990.8 mb on day 15 at time 05:08

Maximum windspeed = 4.6 mph on day 15 at time 06:03

Maximum gust speed = 15 mph from 248 °(WSW) on day 15 at time 06:03

Maximum heat index = 8.0°C on day 15 at time 13:54

Edited by simon65

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

Light rain here also.

And temp still going up.

Posted

18z NAE much better for snowfall prospects for this region:

11121612_2_1518.gif

It has pushed things further northwards (I had suspected, as posted in the SW england thread earlier, that things were going a bit too far south - the NAE did exactly the same thing with the mid december channel shortwave last year, correcting northward at the last moments)

Even then, the northward extent of the precip observed at 2100GMT is about 20 miles further north than projected even by the 18z NAE for that timeframe - so there or there abouts I would say now with the track on the NAE.

SK

yep. said this would change right up to +0. Even an inch or two on the ground in the west of our region come morning on the latest projection http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/12/15/basis18/ukuk/weas/11121609_2_1518.gif

Posted

Yup, deffo the odd flake in the mix here, all tho at this point the showers are light, a few vertical falling sleet drops & a few slowly falling flakes,

Temps reading 3C - 2C dew point

Pressure 994mb

Posted

I thought there was a few snowflakes here although St. Albans is on higher ground, Hughsey Im not sure weather station details, where do i find them? Also if the models have edged it further North, is that a better set up for ALL of our region?

Not sure tbh, I just managed to find one in Peterborough by chance from a google search/.

Temps still at 2 degrees here but dew points risen to 0.8 degrees. Nice to hear of sleet reports in the region.

Posted

Id say so because the temp generally stay colder inland then around the coast, and obvious were on higher ground, so the further this rain band pushes into that colder air the more likely were see some snow up there to, i think the cut of point for the snow tonight will be probably anywhere north of where i am really,

But i wonder how much warmer temp will go when the low come through initially? temp are rising along the southern coastline as it drag in warmer air from the south, but then when it heads into and over France they will drop away again below 0C for much of the UK

Posted

Oh well - I'm not going to look at any more forecasts. Just wait and see if there's any snow come tomorrow morning. I imagine there will be some flash warnings issued if this develops like the NAE indicates because even 2-5cm of snow (what the NAE is indicating, remember the MetO/BBC forecasts etc run straight off the NAE) would cause big problems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

NAE much improvement for snow potential for our regional thread. Could be a few surprise's come morning. Enjoy people. :good:

Posted

Currently 4C with a dewpoint of 1.7C, which is ok as the colder air isn't due for a few hours yet. Should start rain due to arrive any minute now. NAE 18z is very interesting though we will wait and see what happens!

Posted

Id say so because the temp generally stay colder inland then around the coast, and obvious were on higher ground, so the further this rain band pushes into that colder air the more likely were see some snow up there to, i think the cut of point for the snow tonight will be probably anywhere north of where i am really,

But i wonder how much warmer temp will go when the low come through initially? temp are rising along the southern coastline as it drag in warmer air from the south, but then when it heads into and over France they will drop away again below 0C for much of the UK

Would you say Watford is on high ground, lol, im sure this is a silly question, but really, I dont have a clue. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

................stupid lamp post has broke outside my house... :sorry:

Nooooooooooo ..........we can't have the 'lamp post watcher' of Leighton Buzzard out of action :doh:

Hope you've called the Council already and told them it's an emergency !!

:) welcome back Mr Meltz !!