Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What does it mean when a thread goes white instead of blue? The London & SE thread seems to have stopped?!

Still chilly here too!

H.

That would mean you have read the latest posts in that thread so your uptodate. If you try and go into the thread it should still be open to post. Hope that helps

Regards,Mark.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Does anyone know how likely the strong winds are for down on the South Coast on Friday? Only asking as my son has his driving test in Chichester on Friday and the winds look like being fairly strong. Currently it is showing gale 8 to gale 9. if it doesn't go higher he shouldn't get the test cancelled I think. However is there any chance this could still develop to a storm? Thanks if anyone can answer.

Posted

A lot of rain where I am now, by the way do you think Watford comes under South of England or London + SE?

I'd say more in London and South East, but then your further north west of london, so unsure, stay here anyway, we need more people :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Thanx Mark, geddit now!

H.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Does anyone know how likely the strong winds are for down on the South Coast on Friday? Only asking as my son has his driving test in Chichester on Friday and the winds look like being fairly strong. Currently it is showing gale 8 to gale 9. if it doesn't go higher he shouldn't get the test cancelled I think. However is there any chance this could still develop to a storm? Thanks if anyone can answer.

It's still too early to be sure, cf. They will certainly be strong and there has been some suggestion from the models that the worst winds will be Thurs night/ Friday morning with another second batch later morning early afternoon. I have seen gusts forecast in some of the runs 70-85mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I've seen a post in the MOD thread that is of particular interest to us folk down south.

Here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71881-model-output-discussion-12th-december-onward/page__view__findpost__p__2181740

Take care.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Very windy here in Oxford, 29mph wind, gusting 40mph.. We have had 6mm of rain since 6pm, some heavier bursts mixed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just 2 people in here as I type this.

Anyway, Newbury is getting pretty wet for a change. 8.8mm and much more on the way.

Nothing else of particular note so far...................

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A rather grim evening it has to be said! Although we do need the rain in fairness. 5.9mm so far, could be quite a wet night.

And the quietness makes our work quite easy GTLTW! :D

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A rather grim evening it has to be said! Although we do need the rain in fairness. 5.9mm so far, could be quite a wet night.

And the quietness makes our work quite easy GTLTW! :D

Remember the midlands thread last winter mate?....strewth, I'm telling ya it was a 24 hour a day job! :w00t:

Posted

Remember the midlands thread last winter mate?....strewth, I'm telling ya it was a 24 hour a day job! :w00t:

That's one positive of living down south, winter doesn't happen! :D

I'll be back in the Midlands on Friday so if it does get a bit hectic I can help :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That's one positive of living down south, winter doesn't happen! :D

I'll be back in the Midlands on Friday so if it does get a bit hectic I can help :p

I'm away saturday/sunday, so if it's wintry I'll take you up on your offer matey

Posted

Just 2 people in here as I type this.

Anyway, Newbury is getting pretty wet for a change. 8.8mm and much more on the way.

Nothing else of particular note so far...................

gottolovethisweather

Just Me, You and Nick L by the looks of it, who are reguarly posting in this thread.. Comon southerner's step forward..

We have now reached 6.6mm of rain, should be plenty more before the night is out.

Mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Just Me, You and Nick L by the looks of it, who are reguarly posting in this thread.. Comon southerner's step forward..

We have now reached 6.6mm of rain, should be plenty more before the night is out.

Mark.

Greetings from another southerner! Wind, rain and more wind - love it!

Posted

This was a pretty quiet site comparitivly speaking over the last two years,especially considering the weather we had.However,here in Central Southern England i have seen more lying snow in the last two Winters than the other 19 that i have lived here put together..

Steve Murr sent me an informative,letter and stats showing that this part of England had the least number of days of lying snow,historically speaking ,in the UK.

Luckily living in London and Kent prior to moving down i had seen plenty of snow.One mystery though is that my birthday,which is early Feb used to coincide with cold and snow,however that has rarely been so in the past 20 years.

Its very wet and windy here tonight,might well have some tree work and fences to do by this weekend,if the forecasts prove correct.

Posted

Max gust of 39mph so far this evening, and 10.4mm of rain.

Posted

Currently it's 10.4c, 9.6mm of rain has also fallen. Wind is 30mph, Gusts of 48mph. Wet, Windy, Wild Night.

Posted

16.8mm now...I'll be needing a boat to uni in the morning at this rate!

Posted

I think this is the first time that the sound of rain has ever woken me up. It is wild out there. Sheets of rain driven by strong winds battering the window. Looking at the met radar, the echoes are glowing red. It's similar conditions to a squall line, but the radar echo is more of a squall blob. Loving it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Well that backend line that just went through was the most impressive on the wind front. It produced the most impressve squall of all, branches all over the shop.

Well Friday maybe even more impressive.!

Cheers

me

Posted

I live in Thame not far from the Chilterns, In fact I can see the tops from the rear bedroom window lol. Might get some snow this evening on the Chilterns if the BBC weather forecast this morning is to be believed. Fingers crossed.

Posted

Afternoon!

Thought I'd pop over and say hello. I usually post in the 3 counties and EA thread but I think I'm probably closer to some of you. It's very difficult being borderline! So if you don't mind I might float between the two...

A cold wind and a heavy rain shower earlier here - sadly not even sleet...